Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

return2sendai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 22, 2018
I’m running Mojave 10.14.6 on my older iMac. On this iMac, I use iTunes to sync my iPad.

However, after updating my iPad to iPadOS 17, iTunes no longer sees my iPad.

1690091281316.png

But when I try to install the necessary update, I get this:

1690091365905.png

Repeatedly.

So, as far as I know, iPads running iPadOS 17 are not recognized by iTunes on Mojave.

Has anyone had similar issues on older Macs running iTunes (Mojave and earlier) or on newer Mac’s running Retroactively-installed iTunes (on Catalina and later) ?

I ask because before I update my older iMac to Monterey (the latest macOS this older model will run), and Retroactively-install iTunes, will iTunes, on Monterey, see and sync with my iPad on iPadOS 17 ?

This is also very important for iPod Classic users (myself included), who need iTunes to sync iPods which the Music app doesn’t recognise.

Anyway, all feedback welcome.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
I believe this is a standard problem of running latest seed builds on phone and iPad, but older OS on Mac.

My understanding is that it is not a question of iOS17/iPadOS17 not seeing older macOS, but that older macOS don't see newer iOS/iPadOS devices. Sonoma sees iOS17, Ventura doesn’t.

At some point the macOS software currently unavailable will be available for earlier macOS, but not in early iOS/iPadOS seed builds.

Last edited:

return2sendai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 22, 2018
I believe this is a standard problem of running latest seed builds on phone and iPad, but older OS on Mac.

My understanding is that it is not a question of iOS17/iPadOS17 not seeing older macOS, but that older macOS don't see newer iOS/iPadOS devices. Sonoma sees iOS17, Ventura doesn’t.

At some point the macOS software currently unavailable will be available for earlier macOS, but not in early iOS/iPadOS seed builds.
Thank you for your response.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying I should hold out on upgrading my older iMac until the public iPadOS 17 release. Then, hopefully, the necessary download will work for my iMac to see ny iPad and, if it doesn’t, I should upgrade my iMac ? The question is that this older iMac will only support Monterey if I do upgrade it. And Monterey may also have issues seeing iPadOS 17.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Thank you for your response.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying I should hold out on upgrading my older iMac until the public iPadOS 17 release. Then, hopefully, the necessary download will work for my iMac to see ny iPad and, if it doesn’t, I should upgrade my iMac ? The question is that this older iMac will only support Monterey if I do upgrade it. And Monterey may also have issues seeing iPadOS 17.
No harm in upgrading older iMac but it wont allow it to see an iOS17 device until Apple makes the necessary macOS software available. I don't know how far back Apple will support, but would be very surprised if it doesn't allow Monterey to connect to iOS17.

return2sendai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 22, 2018
I’m running Mojave 10.14.6 on my older iMac. On this iMac, I use iTunes to sync my iPad.

However, after updating my iPad to iPadOS 17, iTunes no longer sees my iPad.

View attachment 2236014

But when I try to install the necessary update, I get this:

View attachment 2236015

Repeatedly.

So, as far as I know, iPads running iPadOS 17 are not recognized by iTunes on Mojave.

Has anyone had similar issues on older Macs running iTunes (Mojave and earlier) or on newer Mac’s running Retroactively-installed iTunes (on Catalina and later) ?

I ask because before I update my older iMac to Monterey (the latest macOS this older model will run), and Retroactively-install iTunes, will iTunes, on Monterey, see and sync with my iPad on iPadOS 17 ?

This is also very important for iPod Classic users (myself included), who need iTunes to sync iPods which the Music app doesn’t recognise.

Anyway, all feedback welcome.
This box, which has appeared every time I’ve opened iTunes for a month but failed to download anything to enable me to connect my iPad to Mojave, did!

It works again. HUZZAH!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.