Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bwfc0907

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2008
Bolton, UK
Can you view photos stored on your external storage through Apple Photos if you connect through usb-c? Will you be able to transfer photos from your phone to the external device through your iPad? Same with SD cards to import them and transfer to the external storage?

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
You can transfer back and forth. Importing is done via the Files app, select the phots and tap 'Save Image', as for exporting, in Photos, once you've selected what you want, hit share and you can save to Files. They might make it simpler in later Betas though.

bwfc0907

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2008
Bolton, UK
You can transfer back and forth. Importing is done via the Files app, select the phots and tap 'Save Image', as for exporting, in Photos, once you've selected what you want, hit share and you can save to Files. They might make it simpler in later Betas though.
Thanks

So can I view my whole photos library through the photos app on my iPad when connected through an external HDD?

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
Thanks

So can I view my whole photos library through the photos app on my iPad when connected through an external HDD?

Not yet, you can view them through the Files app, as I said (where I say about importing them). The Photos app doesn't have a direct import from external HDD, in Beta 1.

bwfc0907

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2008
Bolton, UK
Not yet, you can view them through the Files app, as I said (where I say about importing them). The Photos app doesn't have a direct import from external HDD, in Beta 1.
Thank you. A feature that would mean I pretty much have no use for a MacBook. Hopefully they implement and for me the iPad could replace my Mac.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Thank you. A feature that would mean I pretty much have no use for a MacBook. Hopefully they implement and for me the iPad could replace my Mac.

You can view your photo just like you’re viewing them in Finder in Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.