Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macintosh101

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2017
So I emailed Craig Federighi a week or so ago, specifically to ask about allowing users to lock the screen of an iPad using a keyboard shortcut, rather than having to reach for the power button. I also wanted to be able to access App Expose on the iPad using the dedicated fn keys on the Magic Keyboard, as these work on a Mac, but not on an iPad.

Craig didn’t respond to the part about App Expose, but... he did say that in iPadOS you can now lock the screen using Ctrl+Cmd+Q on an external keyboard (just like on a Mac), which is very handy indeed. I’m running iPadOS and can confirm the shortcut works.

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
So I emailed Craig Federighi a week or so ago, specifically to ask about allowing users to lock the screen of an iPad using a keyboard shortcut, rather than having to reach for the power button. I also wanted to be able to access App Expose on the iPad using the dedicated fn keys on the Magic Keyboard, as these work on a Mac, but not on an iPad.

Craig didn’t respond to the part about App Expose, but... he did say that in iPadOS you can now lock the screen using Ctrl+Cmd+Q on an external keyboard (just like on a Mac), which is very handy indeed. I’m running iPadOS and can confirm the shortcut works.

Thanks for the tip. Ive been using the mouse shortcut to lock the screen which is pretty handy.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.