Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roliwe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2019
Hello everyone,
Today I installed the IPadOS on my 2018 Ipad 6 gen because I really wanted to try the new file handling.
I googled all day and came across absolutely nothing how I can connect a USB, SSD, etc. to the ipad since it has the lightning connector. I have tried buying a lightning to micro usb adapter and a micro usb thumbdrive, but it did not show up in the file app.
Does it work on my Ipad and am I just stupid? Or will it only be for IPad Pro with the USB-C?

Thanks for the help in advance

Smici

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2019
Check the filesystem on the Drive, I think ntfs and fat32 not supported yet.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
It will work, but you need external power via the camera connection kit with lightning input

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
You don't need external power for thumb drives... However the ipad will say they take too much power unless they comply with some kind of protocol. For instance I have a small (non powered) USB 2.0 hub that has this protocol and whatever thumb drive I plug via this and the CCK it works fine. 2.5 drives require external power instead... (so for instance the CCK with lightning)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.