Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ision-Industries

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2021
Hello I hope this is the correct place to post this question though I actually may have a few questions in this post. I am not a developer by any means, I am a graphic designer and I am dealing with a peculiar problem on my iPad and I would like to know why it’s happening and what is causing it.
How does iPadOS/iCloud/Files app handle file thumbnail previews? Where are these images stored? What could suddenly cause an app on my iPad to stop showing the file preview thumbnail and instead display the generic app logo as the thumbnail preview for the files? This is the only file type to suddenly stop showing the actual file contents preview.
The file type I am referring to is a .afdesign file for the Affinity Designer app. I am sure there is not much I am able to do to revert the file preview back to the original contents but I am just curious what could cause the files to do that. I have already contacted Affinity support for help and they stated that this is an issue with iPadOS/iCloud not the Affinity app.
Though all of this started happening after I updated the Affinity Designer app. My project files before the update display the actual contents of the file in the preview thumbnail, after I updated in the beginning of February all my files started showing the generic Affinity logo as shown in the screenshotPeople on forums said that this a “bug” and it happens randomly. But there has got to be a fix for this. Thanks for your help

Attachments

• Files App problem with afdesign file previews.PNG
    Files App problem with afdesign file previews.PNG
    432.3 KB · Views: 149

prime17569

macrumors regular
May 26, 2021
Do you see any crash reports in Settings > Privacy > Analytics & Improvements > Analytics Data? They typically follow this filename format: <Process Name>-YYYY-MM-DD-HHMMSS.ips

The process name may not be "Affinity Designer" but instead "ThumbnailExtension" or similar. (I don't have Affinity Designer, so I don't know for sure.) This is because file thumbnails are handled by a Quick Look Thumbnail Extension bundled with the app and not the app itself.

Also, what happens when you preview the file (press and hold or right-click, then tap "Quick Look" in the context menu)?

BTW, I'm not affiliated with Serif/Affinity in any way, but I have an app in the store with a Quick Look Extension so I'm curious as to what's going on here.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.