Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bubble99

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
not sure if I need an app like an uninstaller app or some thing is wrong with the iPadOS but when I remove the apps and go to App Store and download the app again it is still keeping my old data.

I have disabled iCloud so I have no idea where the app is getting the old data from unless when you uninstall apps it does not remove 100% of the app.

I know Mac OS and windows uninstaller is not 100% at removing every thing so I don’t know much about iPadOS how good the uninstaller is At removing the app

The only other thing I can thing of it is It is pulling the data from iTunes or the cloud. But I have iCloud disabled.

I have download the app and remove the app and download the app again and still keeping the old data.

A buddy from mind say I may have to change the Apple ID that that could be the problem. But removing app and downloading app again does not remove app data.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
People would be able to help you better if you named the app...

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Changing your AppleID is just ignoring an issue you will likely experience again.

Like mentioned, can you tell use the app name. Apps the require logins are holding data on their servers, you would need to delete it there prior to deleting the app.

There is also a few folders that certain apps can dump files into like Documents (accessed via the files app).

merrickdrfc

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
Doncaster / Berlin
Also if we are talking about credentials/authentication - data that is persisted to the keychain by apps (such as tokens / auth data) is not removed on app deletion. So you can in theory delete an app, download it again and still be logged in.

Reactions: papbot

Bubble99

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
Changing your AppleID is just ignoring an issue you will likely experience again.

Like mentioned, can you tell use the app name. Apps the require logins are holding data on their servers, you would need to delete it there prior to deleting the app.

There is also a few folders that certain apps can dump files into like Documents (accessed via the files app).

That is the thing it not like I'm logging into the app and than its pulling the information. I remove the app and download the app again and it is keeping the old data. So it is not like I'm downloading the app and than type in the user name and password at the login. When I download the app it seems to already have this information and the account.

So I'm not sure if it is pulling it from iTunes or the Apple ID or what? But iPadOS uninstaller is not removing all of the app.

Note I have iCloud disabled.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I have a couple that do that. Sometimes on the subsequent download the app opens to almost the same place I was at when I deleted it. As the others have mentioned the apps may store data on their own servers or in some onboard mechanism. Right now I can’t think of specific ones but this is not uncommon and I have seen it several times. If you want help with a specific app you’ll need to name it so someone who may be familiar with it can offer a suggestion. Otherwise just accept it. Signing out of icloud will do nothing except create a bigger headache for you.

Bubble99

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
As the others have mentioned the apps may store data on their own servers or in some onboard mechanism.

You still have to be login in and connected to their server. That means removing the app never deleted the information or log out.

In order to be connected to the server you must be login in. So removing the app never remove the info.

Windows and Mac OS have a terrible uninstaller so I'm not sure about iOS or iPad OS. In windows when you run the uninstaller there is always hundreds of files left and registry entries.

That is why I was asking if I need uninstaller app or cleaner app. Or some thing is wrong with iPad OS.

TransPNG

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2013
Hong Kong
You still have to be login in and connected to their server. That means removing the app never deleted the information or log out.

In order to be connected to the server you must be login in. So removing the app never remove the info.

Windows and Mac OS have a terrible uninstaller so I'm not sure about iOS or iPad OS. In windows when you run the uninstaller there is always hundreds of files left and registry entries.

That is why I was asking if I need uninstaller app or cleaner app. Or some thing is wrong with iPad OS.

You still never providing the name of the problem app.
That we can’t find what is the problem. (The app side/sever side).

for example, Facebook.
You may need to login it’s own account instead of iCloud. All you data are stored in Facebook server. Even you del. the Facebook app, you won’t del you data from Facebook server.

So you may provide the Name of the App you have the above problem.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
“You still have to be login in and connected to their server. That means removing the app never deleted the information or log out.”
You are correct. With some apps that data is not removed by deletion. I’ve seen that in several of mine. But in others I’m back at square one. So I think it’s more an issue with the specific app that you’re dealing with and perhaps your issue should be directed to that developer. No one here can help without knowing what the app is.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008

Are you writing these comments on your iPad? I think something may truly be wrong with iPadOS as it's consistently filtering out the name of the app you're asking for help with!

theshoehorn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
Try deleting the app, rebooting the iPad, and then reinstall to see if that helps? I've noticed similar behavior at times, and rebooting seems to clear the cache out before reinstalling...

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
And let's make sure this is app deletion, and not "offloading." If you go to Settings > General > iPad Storage > [app] there are generally options to both Delete App and Offload App. Delete removes the app and related data that is stored on the iPad. Offload removes the app but leaves the data on the iPad.

Bubble99

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
Try deleting the app, rebooting the iPad, and then reinstall to see if that helps? I've noticed similar behavior at times, and rebooting seems to clear the cache out before reinstalling...

I tried that an number of times and still log into the account.

I have iCloud disabled, handoff feature disabled and Offload feature disabled.

I may need a cleaner app or I may have log out of my Apple ID or need a new Apple ID.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
I tried that an number of times and still log into the account.

I have iCloud disabled, handoff feature disabled and Offload feature disabled.

I may need a cleaner app or I may have log out of my Apple ID or need a new Apple ID.

Will you please name the app in question!

There is no sort of 'uninstaller' with iOS or iPadOS, nor will there probably ever be, aside from the current method.

janezblond

macrumors regular
May 15, 2013
As people have pointed out multiple times, without an app name it is hard to diagnose what is going on.

That said, I have observed that certain apps use what I presume are Safari/Keychain to store their login data (several Reddit apps spring to mind), so that deleting the app and reinstalling it keeps me logged in with the corresponding account.

I have yet to run into an app that is not account based that retained data between deletions, unless that data was saved in an Files.app container.

Bubble99

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
Well I don't have trouble longing out of one drive but I cannot log out with outlook.

And removing the app and downloading the app will not log out with outlook.

No matter what I do I can not log out with outlook. I tried to remove the app shut the iPad off than turn the iPad on and go to the app store and download outlook again and it is still log in.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
No matter what I do I can not log out with outlook. I tried to remove the app shut the iPad off than turn the iPad on and go to the app store and download outlook again and it is still log in.
Please go to settings and choose the option "Mail". Are you logged in with an Outlook account there? If yes, it's natural that the app takes your credentials from there :)

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Please go to settings and choose the option "Mail". Are you logged in with an Outlook account there? If yes, it's natural that the app takes your credentials from there :)

I don’t think it takes them from the Mail app, but office 365 apps for sure it pulls “suggestions” for log in info for.

I can log out of outlook perfectly fine with my exchange account... deleting the app is not the typical solution though. Tapping the icon in the top left corner (mine is an S to indicate the name of my employer), then the cog at the bottom of the screen, then selecting the email account and deleting it would be.

janezblond

macrumors regular
May 15, 2013
If Outlook does the same thing as the Office apps (Word, Excel and Powerpoint), than the problem is not Outlook saving the login details, but Outlook getting the login details from the Office apps when first starting it after installation.

I’ve never tried it, but theoretically deleting all of the Microsoft apps that share the Office365 login details would make the first one to be reinstalled ask for the login info again (all the subsequent ones would then use this login to authenticate themselves).

Bubble99

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
I don’t think it takes them from the Mail app, but office 365 apps for sure it pulls “suggestions” for log in info for.

I can log out of outlook perfectly fine with my exchange account... deleting the app is not the typical solution though. Tapping the icon in the top left corner (mine is an S to indicate the name of my employer), then the cog at the bottom of the screen, then selecting the email account and deleting it would be.

I don’t have Microsoft office apps so it not pulling the login info from it, and it is strange I can log out of one drive but not outlook.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Whichever way you delete some apps, it always says "it will delete it's data"

- Either long press on Hone screen, delete app (or)
- or from Settings app/General/iPhone Storage.

That Not happening ? Not all apps... some apps keep their data.. mostly Apple apps i think

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.