Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TV21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
Arlington, VA, USA
Installed pad OS 13 public beta. Seemed to be working ok. I have newest iPad (Air)

Suddenly today the screen went dark. I cannot get the screen to come back. I tried power+home and that made the screen go “off” for a few seconds and then I can see it active but still dark.

I tried plugging into Mac, but iTunes does not see it.

After about 10 minutes I touched home sensor and passcode prompt came up but immediately went dark again when I touched the screen.

Holding down power for 10+ seconds has no effect at all.
Holding down home for 10+ seconds has no effect at all.
Holding down home+power turns off screen for a few seconds and then it seems to have power but is black and completely non responsive.

After reading this forum I tried various combinations of volume up down power to no avail. I tried fast and slow combos.

I reported to apple but have no idea if they will respond.

My hope is the battery will eventually die and I can try again but wow what a mess.

jhuynh

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2012
Try holding the home and power buttons down until you see the apple logo.

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
Installed pad OS 13 public beta. Seemed to be working ok. I have newest iPad (Air)

Suddenly today the screen went dark. I cannot get the screen to come back. I tried power+home and that made the screen go “off” for a few seconds and then I can see it active but still dark.

I tried plugging into Mac, but iTunes does not see it.

After about 10 minutes I touched home sensor and passcode prompt came up but immediately went dark again when I touched the screen.

Holding down power for 10+ seconds has no effect at all.
Holding down home for 10+ seconds has no effect at all.
Holding down home+power turns off screen for a few seconds and then it seems to have power but is black and completely non responsive.

After reading this forum I tried various combinations of volume up down power to no avail. I tried fast and slow combos.

I reported to apple but have no idea if they will respond.

My hope is the battery will eventually die and I can try again but wow what a mess.

Thank you for being a beta tester, so they can resolve these issues before a public release.

dcp10

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
You don’t specify how long you had the beta installed, but it seems like this didn’t happen immediately. Could be a completely unrelated hardware issue. Have you tried a DFU restore yer?

TV21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
Arlington, VA, USA
You don’t specify how long you had the beta installed, but it seems like this didn’t happen immediately. Could be a completely unrelated hardware issue. Have you tried a DFU restore yer?

This is the public beta, not a dev beta. I installed it less than a week ago.

I connected to mac and it does not see the ipad in itunes.

i just followed the DFU process as specified on imore and now says it cannot repair and wants to install ios12.
I'm going to try to download ipados13 public beta again and see if I can get itunes to re-install it.

TV21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
Arlington, VA, USA
OK so the "restore" completed and itunes even had me authenticate on mac for ipad.
It seems to think all is well but the ipad is still a black slate.

I multi pressed on home button and got some kind of audio feedback for button presses but nothing ever appears on the screen. it says "Portrait. Alert iPad not set up". not much I can do about that without anything on the screen.

also its 97% battery, so I guess I'll wait for it to drain.

Last edited:

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Do you still have Apple Care coverage on your iPad? Sounds more like a hardware problem, but I guess you'll find out after the battery drains.

jhuynh

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2012
Sounds like the backlight is faulty if you can see the screen active but it's dark.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.