Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Have recently noticed both Aldi and Lidl supermarkets have introduced electronic shelf edge price labels. Didn't look closely, but what triggered my attention is that they are colour devices.

That set me off looking at how far colour E-Ink displays have progressed. Hadn't realised that they have even announced colour E-Ink monitors. They are many miles ahead of where they were even a fairly short time ago.

Is there a point at which an iPad mini with an E-Ink screen would be seen as desirable?

Obviously, current screens really are not good outdoors in bright sunny weather - even when display brilliance is maximised. But E-Ink would offer similar view-ability to the Kindle-type devices. Along with massive improvement in battery life (due to not needing any lighting in bright light - let alone needing to compete with strong sun).

Colour, speed and resolution might not be as good as the best OLED or whatever but, so long as that is known up-front, so what? Indeed, current E-Ink might not be quite there. But next year? The year after?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Short answer: No. e-ink still has a very slow refresh rate (by design).

However, I've got my eye on an Android tablet that has been produced that does NOT have a backlit LCD display, but has a reflective layer behind the screen that reflects ambient light. It's the TCL NXTPAPER tablet. If they produce a model with a matte display (rather than glossy), that'll be one that I'll want to pick up.

In the meantime, the closest thing that I have to that is an iPad Mini 5 with a matte screen protector. The Mini 5 has a very high ppi screen and still looks sharp with the matte protector (that tends to soft the display). My 9th gen iPad also has a matte protector and reading magazines and vintage catalogs on it is quite enjoyable with virtually no eyestrain.

RoadWarrior56

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2014
Agreeing with the previous post on the Mini 5. IMO, the Mini 5 still has the best and sharpest LCD display of any iPad, including the current generations, which is one reason I kept it as a secondary iPad, although I do not use mine with a matte screen protector. One primary use for the Mini 5 is for reading e-books, when indoors. I still use a Kindle for reading in the sun or outside, but the iPad for everywhere else. Also, the Kindle app for the iPad is MUCH better than using the Amazon Kindle itself for accessing the library or downloading e-books.

rukind2

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2012
I’ve used Kindle devices in the past, but wanted a more robust color experience when reading, especially when maps are involved. I use the Kindle app on the latest Mini and it’s been great.

Reactions: polyphenol

Algus

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2014
Arizona
I’d potentially consider something like that. I dropped my kindle in favor of an iPad mini. Still use it to read books 90% of the time but the utility of iOS comes in handy.

I don’t need my mini for games, just for reading and music. I’d be down for giving up refresh rate/FPS for a better reading experience. As long as I could browse and use my music apps without to much baggage

Reactions: polyphenol
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.