Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
If you need to use that device with a different non-Apple device, you can't use APFS; if you're using that storage with Windows machines, you'll want to be formatted exFAT for read/write or NTFS, read-only on the iPad.
Can an exFat drive be encrypted and still be accessed (read/write) by Windows and iOS? I’m using an unencrypted thumb drive right now because I seem to recall it wouldn’t work encrypted.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
No, iOS doesn't support encrypted drives.
There’s been FileVault support since iOS/iPadOS 14. Obviously, this won’t help with drives that need to be used with Windows, however.

Reactions: sparksd

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
There’s been FileVault support since iOS/iPadOS 14. Obviously, this won’t help with drives that need to be used with Windows, however.
Yeah, I should have been clear that I was addressing Window compatible devices.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Maybe Apple has some statistics somewhere that there are more people using 3.5" external HDDs rather than 2.5" portable ones?
3.5" drives might indeed be the exception, but my guess is that these statements are not really based on proper testing but are just there as a general warnings. The 7.5watts the iPads output (which is more than any Android tablet) are enough for essentially and 2.5" drives, let alone SSDs

RPhoto

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Surrey, UK
Using an Anker dock to connect a CFast card and 4TB Sandisk SSD to copy RAW files from card to drive, with no issues at all. In fact once I’ve done that, I connect a second 4TB Sandisk and copy files between them so I have a backup. This ability has enabled me to leave my laptop at home for some shorter jobs on the road.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.