Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Excuse to buy the new iPhone 13? I was hoping to make it last until the 14 comes out. My battery health capacity is at 90%. What would you do?

I don’t want to do a battery replacement because an apple tech said I’d be without a phone for almost a week for battery replacement. Is that correct? I thought they would replace it on the spot.

3E6EA458-43D3-4325-974C-0920C2BAFEFC.jpeg

C-Dubs

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
Honolulu, HI
Well, if you’ve had your iPhone X since it’s launch, then a battery replacement is not uncalled for; all batteries will degrade over time. I’d probably ask a different Apple Tech about the turnaround time. A week seems like way too long. Or see if there are other repair shops who can do it faster. The message isn’t as sinister as you think though; your phone needs a new battery eventually ?

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Well, if you’ve had your iPhone X since it’s launch, then a battery replacement is not uncalled for; all batteries will degrade over time. I’d probably ask a different Apple Tech about the turnaround time. A week seems like way too long. Or see if there are other repair shops who can do it faster. The message isn’t as sinister as you think though; your phone needs a new battery eventually ?
Maybe this is something new. When I went in it took them about two hours for a screen replacement. I can’t imagine a battery being more difficult

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
My iPhone X is started showing the service warning when it reached 82%. The local Apple store can replace the battery in around an hour with an appointment which I plan on doing regardless if I decide to upgrade.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
90% battery health is indistinguishable from 100% when using it.
It only takes about 15 minutes to replace a battery.
Guys working at Apple Stores are incentivized to sell new iPhones.
They'd much rather sell you a new phone than fix an old one - and their sales tactics reflect that.
I was discouraged in even replacing the battery. Told it was risky. Guy wanted to sell me a new phone.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Thanks everyone who replied! Called apple and the rep said it should only take an hour for battery change.
Saw the new Sierra blue and love it! I think I’ll just order the new iPhone 13 pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.