Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 18, 2014
upload_2019-9-13_12-55-54.png

https://twitter.com/sonnydickson/status/1172352571807191040

eulslix

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2016
Well, that’s a waste of space I guess then... makes me wonder what brilliant technical accomplishment let it come so far. It’s a shame though, would’ve made the Pro perfect for me, aside from the lack of a ToF

I guess there’s no way they gonna enable that at a later point, since they would’ve mentioned it on the keynote otherwise. What a mess, this whole thing...

Reactions: oodi

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 18, 2014
Well, that’s a waste of space I guess then... makes me wonder what brilliant technical accomplishment let it come so far. It’s a shame though, would’ve made the Pro perfect for me, aside from the lack of a ToF
Same, I can't wait until they put a ToF, but as someone else pointed out, if this is true and Apple has overcome the issues, they can introduce this feature as a software update when they announce the new AirPods.

Reactions: compwiz1202

eulslix

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2016
Same, I can't wait until they put a ToF, but as someone else pointed out, if this is true and Apple has overcome the issues, they can introduce this feature as a software update when they announce the new AirPods.

I’m afraid that wont happen. The only reason I can think of for them pulling this thing last minute is some issues with overheating/burning... Apple just goes through a ban of all their MacBooks at certain airlines, I’m pretty sure they dont want to go through another one of these fiascos. So they probably decided to just pull all of the keynote slides and replace them with some awkward filler material (most likely the nervous Indian dude talking about the Bionic chip).

Now assuming that thing is fixable through firmware, why would Apple fix it. The damage is already done, whoever wants to buy the IPhone will do it anyways. Why not just call it a day and reserve the feature for the next models, giving buyers another compelling argument to upgrade.
I cant think of a single time in Apples history, were they would announce retroactively “Oh by the way, from now on our product has one more thing”.

But yeah, who knows, here’s hoping...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.