Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What camera setup would you prefer on the 11?

• I am happy with the Wide plus UltraWide combo.

Votes: 44 54.3%
  • I would prefer a Wide plus TelePhoto combo.

Votes: 37 45.7%

• Total voters

Pelea

Suspended
Oct 5, 2014
Um, if you know ANYTHING about photography than I expect you to know and understand how bad Instagram is about image compression. The image quality on that platform is easily the worst.

Why don’t you go and zoom on the ultra wide shots shared on Apple’s actual website, instead.

if all 3 photos are equally horribly compressed, then the relative quality from one to the other is still the same. That was cute though

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
if all 3 photos are equally horribly compressed, then the relative quality from one to the other is still the same. That was cute though
I'm still not entirely sure what you're arguing. Are you expecting a crop of the ultra wide lens to look the same as the wide? The face in a pic from the ultra wide will contain fewer pixels that the face in a pic from the wide lens taken at the same distance from the subject.

Azzurro

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2015
Milan
Ultrawide is better. Telephoto is just useless, or should I say I can just zoom it it by doing it using the slider.

kcroyal

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2018
It bothered me at first, but with the $400 difference between the 128gb 11 and the 256gb pro I decided to invest in a moment 58mm telephoto lens. I really only use the telephoto lens on my X when filming video of the kids playing sports, so I figured I can just pocket the lens and take it to those events. Plus, the telephoto lens on the main sensor should yield better results than the telephoto lens on the Pro.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL

You’re just being obtuse at this point so I won’t even waste my time trying to argue with you.

Also, if you’re so underwhelmed by this phone, and have no intentions on buying it because it’s garbage, what even are you doing here? Why waste your time and energy arguing over something that has zero impact on your life? Nothing better to do with your time?
[doublepost=1568658578][/doublepost]
I'm still not entirely sure what you're arguing. Are you expecting a crop of the ultra wide lens to look the same as the wide? The face in a pic from the ultra wide will contain fewer pixels that the face in a pic from the wide lens taken at the same distance from the subject.
No point in trying to break this down for him. He’s got an agenda here and will vehemently argue his point even if he knows he’s wrong.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Ultrawide is better. Telephoto is just useless, or should I say I can just zoom it it by doing it using the slider.
With that thinking they could also axe the wide angle and just use a single ultra wide. Cos we can digital zoom everything.
I wonder why Apple even bothers with multiple lenses :rolleyes:

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
With that thinking they could also axe the wide angle and just use a single ultra wide. Cos we can digital zoom everything.
I wonder why Apple even bothers with multiple lenses :rolleyes:
I personally love my telephoto lens. I use it very rarely (mostly when I’m at concerts) but I appreciate being able to have optical zoom for those occasions.

Lyrca

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2017
France
Perfectly fine by me, I hardly use my XS telephoto lens. Wide angle on the other hand, I can definitely see myself using that for landscape pictures.

Pelea

Suspended
Oct 5, 2014

correct, and one fix for this is to increase the resolution when taking ultra wide Vids

xtwentyseven

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2008
Dallas, TX
I was all in on 11 until I heard it lacked telephoto. I then debated between a used X or a new 11. Ultimately going with the 11, but was sad to miss out. I feel like the standard camera is already too far away for many shots. And digital zoom does nothing that cropping can't do after the fact. It's just blowing up the pixels and won't get as good of quality as a telephoto.

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
Actually you can’t...
If you are taking pictures of people, you can zoom in with your feet to get an identical framing of the person in the frame.
But the perspective won’t be the same.
The facial features won’t be captured the same way and doing so with a wide angle makes portraits way less flattering.
For me it is a big no no.
I think you are missing his point - and yes I have been involved in photography so I do understand your points also. But if you are in a small room you are limited by how far you can back up and the 2x zoom is very limited anyway as far as a telephoto lens goes IMHO.
[doublepost=1568677787][/doublepost]Personally would have preferred the telephoto lens but think the creative possibilities of the ultra wide will compensate at least for me. And let’s be honest a 2x zoom of a lens that is wide to begin with is not much of a zoom anyway.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
One fine example of usefulness of wide angle vs 2x zoom that's mostly useless. Borrowed from Note 10 thread.

20190916_012621-jpg.858876

FuzzMunky

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
this may be the most stupid thing I’ve read all year. It’s like saying:
“This lake is filled with floating dog poop, which u can see on the surface” and having this guy reply “actually this lake looks beautiful to me, I can’t see anything wrong with it”

the reverse zoom is objectively significantly worse as proven on Instagram, I don’t care what it looks like to u.

Normal pic
https://gyazo.com/8c4fa8fa467ef86c9d18cd8286d26da8

2x reverse zoom pic
https://gyazo.com/257312039026bd0cfd162209d14a2c76
Wow! This has to be one of the dumbest posts I've read in a long time. Seems like you need a lot of help understanding physical reality. I'll give it a cursory shot. If you are using a 0.5x lens, your subjects face would be captured by approximately 1/4 the number of pixels than with a 1x lens. This is why the same face looks less detailed in a 0.5x shot vs a 1x shot. It's really not that hard to understand, but I guess it is for some.

Your solution to just increase the resolution pretty much negates the need for two separate lenses as you could then just crop a 1x out of it and at the intended original resolution, with of course a little more distortion. (This is how m43 sensors work when used with larger than m43 lenses. A 2x cropped sensor area produces an image that is functionally very similar to 2x the focal width of the lens. But this would absolutely destroy the light capturing performance of the 0.5x, as the pixel pitch would be absolutely tiny an d you'd have to deal with distortion issues, though the centre of a lens is usually less distorted.

Reactions: 204353

unchecked

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
I have been getting away with using short panos to get ultra wide/tall shots, but you're eating into the 12 megapixels when you digitally zoom in. I would have wanted all three and maybe we will in two/three year's time, but as of now, the telephoto would have made a bigger difference to me than an ultra wide.

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
I'm EXTREMELY disappointed Apple opted for the Ultra-Wide in the NON-Pro, instead of the Telephoto !

But the flip-side is, the Back Telephoto image sensor in the Pro models wasn't even upgraded, so the pixel size remains at ONLY 1.0um !

As such, it makes ALOT of sense to get the NON-Pro & investigate the Telephoto Attachment Lens options.

Pairing a Telephoto Attachment Lens with the upgraded Back Wide image sensor will very-likely provide the highest-quality results.

There are numerous benefits to this approach.

IMO, it's fair to say Apple "may" have shot themselves in the foot on this one !

If it's indeed confirmed on Friday the the NON-Pro has 3.7-3.8 GB of DRAM, then that one could be a run away success hit !

jburns

macrumors regular
May 1, 2007
NC-USA
—>go to instagram
—> look at the Recent Apple post that compares ultra wide/standard/zoomed in photos of the same picture
—> realize that the “ultra wide” photo has significantly degraded quality compared to the regular photo (zoom in on face)
—> proof that the 3rd camera is complete garbage that does nothing

Your method of comparison is flawed. Let's take the lenses out of it for a moment. Snap a photo of a face using any lens so that it fills the frame. Now back up twenty steps and center the face and take another shot. Repeat. Each time the face fills less of the frame and has fewer pixels to show detail. Obviously, if you open the farthest photo in a viewer and zoom in to make the face fill the frame it will look awful. But that can have nothing to do with the lens used because the same lens was used for all the shots. It is simply a matter of physics.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
It's intentional by Apple. I'm a wide-angle fan but most people want more zoom and more reach with their cameras. ... And now you got to pay up for a Pro to get the zoom lens.

Wide angle suits the photography enthusiast. Zoom the consumer. I love cameras and photography and am personally going from a XS to a Pro to get wide angle. My wife snaps pictures mostly of the cat, and of family and friends. She always wants more reach.

Apple knows that when people try them in the store they will see that the Pro has zoom and might end up paying the extra to get it. It's kind of like those stickers on cheap consumer camcorders that used to say 20X or 40X zoom. Even if the quality was terrible, most consumers went for the longer reach.

Last edited:

gdourado

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
I was all in on 11 until I heard it lacked telephoto. I then debated between a used X or a new 11. Ultimately going with the 11, but was sad to miss out. I feel like the standard camera is already too far away for many shots. And digital zoom does nothing that cropping can't do after the fact. It's just blowing up the pixels and won't get as good of quality as a telephoto.

I too was all over the 11 when the leaks started coming in.
I was decided to get one until the keynote when I saw they removed the telephoto.
So I was going for a Pro Max, but was having a real hard time swallowing the price I was going to pay more just for the telephoto.
But as fate would have it, I got a mint XS max 256gb yesterday afternoon for way cheaper than a new 11 would cost me. :)

gdourado

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010

I too was all over the 11 when the leaks started coming in.
I was decided to get one until the keynote when I saw they removed the telephoto.
So I was going for a Pro Max, but was having a real hard time swallowing the price I was going to pay more just for the telephoto.
But as fate would have it, I got a mint XS max 256gb yesterday afternoon for way cheaper than a new 11 would cost me. :)

gdourado

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
I think you are missing his point - and yes I have been involved in photography so I do understand your points also. But if you are in a small room you are limited by how far you can back up and the 2x zoom is very limited anyway as far as a telephoto lens goes IMHO.
[doublepost=1568677787][/doublepost]Personally would have preferred the telephoto lens but think the creative possibilities of the ultra wide will compensate at least for me. And let’s be honest a 2x zoom of a lens that is wide to begin with is not much of a zoom anyway.

Yes, it is not the ideal portrait range. The 2x on an iPhone is more of standard, or so called normal focal length in photography.
But even being so, it still makes a big difference on photographing people.
Check this example:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4164807

Massive difference in perspective from 24 to 50mm.
That is the case with the iPhone from 26mm equivalent focal length of the standard camera to de 52mm 2x zoom.

I understand many people these days grew up with smartphone photography and the wide lenses are what they see and know as standard so they are used to it.
But if you have any kind of background in photography the 2x makes a huge difference.

Reactions: Khedron

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
I can always zoom in with my feet but can't knock down walls when backed into one so wide angle is more useful.

Not for sports photography. You have one chance and that's it.

I use my phone for cycling shots, because I really do not want my DSLR swinging around my back when riding (though yes I know some people do).

Most times that I ride ahead and stop to take pics of other riders the shots just aren't framed right. You can't stand in the middle of the road and frame your shot in advance. You have limited safe spots to stand, and limited time to frame it. A zoom is way, way more useful than wide. Though higher resolution to super crop works a nice substitute but the iPhone isn't there yet.

But most people aren't taking sports photography so wide will give them nicer photos I'd agree though.

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
correct, and one fix for this is to increase the resolution when taking ultra wide Vids

I mean damn, why don’t all camera manufactures just put sensors with a trillion pixels in their cameras and one fixed lens so we can digital zoom infinitely with zero loss of quality. :rolleyes:

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Yes, it is not the ideal portrait range. The 2x on an iPhone is more of standard, or so called normal focal length in photography.
But even being so, it still makes a big difference on photographing people.
Check this example:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4164807

Massive difference in perspective from 24 to 50mm.
That is the case with the iPhone from 26mm equivalent focal length of the standard camera to de 52mm 2x zoom.

I understand many people these days grew up with smartphone photography and the wide lenses are what they see and know as standard so they are used to it.
But if you have any kind of background in photography the 2x makes a huge difference.

I’m with you on this. I do a fair bit of photography in my spare time and after using a few zooms, I found the majority of my photos were taken at the 28mm-50mm range so now I just have one fixed lens camera with a 28mm (Leica Q) and a Fuji X Pro 2 that usually has a 35mm (50mm FF equiv). “Zooming with your feet” is the sort of thing someone who isn’t a photographer always says. The compression between background and subject longer lenses gives and the distortion of using a wide lens for close portraits makes a massive difference.

Reactions: Khedron

anthdci

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009
I take pictures of my dogs mostly, the ability to optically zoom in slightly is going to be a big miss from my 8+. I cant see any circumstance were ultrawide is useful, just step back a bit further. But for the price difference upto a pro to get that extra camera I could buy a far superior dedicated camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.