Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Libertas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2018
I try not to charge it to 100% if I can help it, I have the "optimized" function on, which by the way isnt so great, it does not limit charge to less than 100% unless you unplug it, it slows it down maybe but it should limit it.

Like my LG laptop, there should be a way to prevent charging beyond 80 or 90%, anybody agree?

What can I do to extend life? I bought the 11 instead of the 12 because I have a Verizon extender in our house for our cell due to very little signal and it only works, we think, with 4G and even though you can turn off 5G on the newer phones, it is still an issue we are told.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Report back when it reaches 79%.

Get a HomeKit compatible smart plug then set up a Shortcut automation to turn off the smart plug when the battery charge reaches 80% or whatever value you want.

9FBC9BE1-3D29-4C61-8112-0292FF236AB9.jpeg

Libertas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2018
PS

I am putting a lot of effort into NOT charging it to 100%...

The homekit smart plug sounds interesting, would need to be shown exactly what I need to buy and how it works. Just plug it into the wall and then into the phone, then I download the app needed to operate the smart plug depending on the brand?

Is it TRUE that charging routinely to 100% shortens battery life? What % is best?

I dont have any Apple products other than an iPhone, do I need the Apple home kit device to have a hub? Still a little fuzzy on all that.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Report back when it reaches 79%.

Get a HomeKit compatible smart plug then set up a Shortcut automation to turn off the smart plug when the battery charge reaches 80% or whatever value you want.

View attachment 1914675
Pretty much this. I have a homekit compatible smart plug that I use. I have set it to turn on automcatally at 4:30 am to charge. I have set up a shortcut to when the phone charges up to 80% it will turn off the smart plug and also turn on low power mode.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I try not to charge it to 100% if I can help it, I have the "optimized" function on, which by the way isnt so great, it does not limit charge to less than 100% unless you unplug it, it slows it down maybe but it should limit it.

Like my LG laptop, there should be a way to prevent charging beyond 80 or 90%, anybody agree?

What can I do to extend life? I bought the 11 instead of the 12 because I have a Verizon extender in our house for our cell due to very little signal and it only works, we think, with 4G and even though you can turn off 5G on the newer phones, it is still an issue we are told.
PS

I am putting a lot of effort into NOT charging it to 100%...

The homekit smart plug sounds interesting, would need to be shown exactly what I need to buy and how it works. Just plug it into the wall and then into the phone, then I download the app needed to operate the smart plug depending on the brand?

Is it TRUE that charging routinely to 100% shortens battery life? What % is best?

I dont have any Apple products other than an iPhone, do I need the Apple home kit device to have a hub? Still a little fuzzy on all that.
SMH.

You seem to be overly concerned about tricks to maximize battery life. I just use my 11 Pro Max.

Got mine in February 2021, so a bit over 8 months. Phone goes on charger at night (around 10pm). Screen is on ALL night with a digital clock app running, so my iPhone is serving as a bedside clock/alarm.

It goes off charger at around 4am and does not see charger again until I go to bed. I pay zero attention to what my percentage charge is whenever I plug it in at night because I'm not playing this 'maximize your battery life' game.

I've done this with ALL my smartphones since 2009 and I've never had battery issues. I have a launch weekend 6s+ that made it six years on the original battery. It was at 75% when I replaced the battery last weekend. All my other iPhones do just fine. My iPhone 5 is at 85 percent battery health.

Playing that game just isn't worth it.

And here's my iPhone 11 Pro Max…

2021-11-20 09.22.05.png

Libertas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2018
SMH.

You seem to be overly concerned about tricks to maximize battery life. I just use my 11 Pro Max.

Got mine in February 2021, so a bit over 8 months. Phone goes on charger at night (around 10pm). Screen is on ALL night with a digital clock app running, so my iPhone is serving as a bedside clock/alarm.

It goes off charger at around 4am and does not see charger again until I go to bed. I pay zero attention to what my percentage charge is whenever I plug it in at night because I'm not playing this 'maximize your battery life' game.

I've done this with ALL my smartphones since 2009 and I've never had battery issues. I have a launch weekend 6s+ that made it six years on the original battery. It was at 75% when I replaced the battery last weekend. All my other iPhones do just fine. My iPhone 5 is at 85 percent battery health.

View attachment 1914707
OK, then I will "shake my head" also and say if you are charging it to 100% every night (though you dont tell us what percentage it is when you take it off the charger at 4 am and that is the info that would contribute to this conversation) and doing that for 8 months and you still have 99% battery, then I bet everybody wants to know!

Also if you dont charge it during the day, then you must use it less than most but unless you tell us we cant know. I can get about 6-7 hours of use which is surfing and listening to XM or podcasts on mine.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
OK, then I will "shake my head" also and say if you are charging it to 100% every night (though you dont tell us what percentage it is when you take it off the charger at 4 am and that is the info that would contribute to this conversation) and doing that for 8 months and you still have 99% battery, then I bet everybody wants to know!
I will check tonight what percentage it's at when I go to bed and report back.

For now though…

2021-11-20 09.41.57.png 2021-11-20 09.42.15.png

Note, the high screen on time is due to the fact that the phone is on with the clock app while I sleep. Also, the phone comes off charger later on weekends.

Reactions: KeithBN

Libertas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2018
I will check tonight what percentage it's at when I go to bed and report back.

For now though…

View attachment 1914725 View attachment 1914726

Note, the high screen on time is due to the fact that the phone is on with the clock app while I sleep. Also, the phone comes off charger later on weekends.
Thank you.

What the percentage is when you take it off the charger is also important, at 4 am. One of the reasons I assume my battery is at 95% is I charge it for small amounts of time during the day just in case we lose power, even though I have many portable chargers at the ready; where I live our energy company purposely shuts off power for 2-3 days at a time 8 months out of the year, so I am always ready. It could happen once, 5 times or not at all in a year.

What clock app, the Apple clock that comes with the phone? One of the reasons I would be wary of doing this, and it sounds like a good use of a phone, but you have to turn off the "auto-lock" and turning it back on is so important I would worry I would forget, even though I use the Apple reminder app all day long, so probably wouldn't forget.

ps

According to the pic provided, thanks, you are at 100% at 4 am. So charging it to 100% is NOT an issue as to battery life? I thought it was. If you only charge it once a day, that might be a reason for such great outcomes, but I am guessing. I really wouldn't care if it wasn't for I cant buy a 12 or 13 until I can buy an extender that is compatible, relying on Wi-Fi calling isnt good enough. So I may need to keep the 11 for a long time, we dont know yet.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Thank you.

What the percentage is when you take it off the charger is also important, at 4 am. One of the reasons I assume my battery is at 95% is I charge it for small amounts of time during the day just in case we lose power, even though I have many portable chargers at the ready; where I live our energy company purposely shuts off power for 2-3 days at a time 8 months out of the year, so I am always ready. It could happen once, 5 times or not at all in a year.

What clock app, the Apple clock that comes with the phone? One of the reasons I would be wary of doing this, and it sounds like a good use of a phone, but you have to turn off the "auto-lock" and turning it back on is so important I would worry I would forget, even though I use the Apple reminder app all day long, so probably wouldn't forget.
By 4am, after being on the charger for at least six hours it's at 100%. Or it better be, because that's what I expect after being on a charger for that long.

Here is the percentage now, about four hours after I got up today (6:30am).

2021-11-20 10.13.31.jpg

My phone sits off charger all day.

2021-11-20 10.14.16.jpg

I use Apalon's Alarm Clock for Me. Been using it since 2011 I think. I do not use it's alarm features, I use Apple's alarm function. I've had times where my iPhone restarted on me while sleeping. The alarm feature on the app does not work if the app isn't running, but the stock alarms do work even if the phone restarts on me, so that's why I use that.

2021-11-20 10.28.39.jpg

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
SMH.

View attachment 1914707
Agreed, I got my 11 Pro Max in March 2020 and it’s at 87% health now, battery is still lasting a full day, although I have noticed that in newer iOS versions (in iOS 15) the 4G modem uses more power.

I charge when I want and also charge overnight, I allow the optimized battery charging to do its thing, it usually sits at 80% until about 2 hours before I wake up where it then charges up to 100%.
I’ll get the battery replaced when I see significant drop in battery life, probably sometime next year.

3EE097BC-39D6-4BF7-A6CF-211F41CA131C.png

Libertas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2018
By 4am, after being on the charger for at least six hours it's at 100%. Or it better be, because that's what I expect after being on a charger for that long.

Here is the percentage now, about four hours after I got up today (6:30am).

View attachment 1914754

My phone sits off charger all day.

View attachment 1914755

I use Apalon's Alarm Clock for Me. Been using it since 2011 I think. I do not use it's alarm features, I use Apple's alarm function. I've had times where my iPhone restarted on me while sleeping. The alarm feature on the app does not work if the app isn't running, but the stock alarms do work even if the phone restarts on me, so that's why I use that.

View attachment 1914776
4 hours and you have used 1%?

Have you not used the phone in these 4 hours? At all? Mine wont do that even if I dont use it at all, it will go down 1-2% per hour with zero use, which I was happy with till now. ?

Makes sense it would be at 100% if charged all night but you had the screen on the entire time also so I wasnt sure. I do not know how you can charge it this often to 100% which everybody tells me hurts the battery, then use it for 4 hours and use only 1%...I wish I knew how that was possible. We all know the battery goes down slowly from the charge point, but even with it staying at 100 for a while, only down 1% in 4 hours?

Libertas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2018
Agreed, I got my 11 Pro Max in March 2020 and it’s at 87% health now, battery is still lasting a full day, although I have noticed that in newer iOS versions (in iOS 15) the 4G modem uses more power.

I charge when I want and also charge overnight, I allow the optimized battery charging to do its thing, it usually sits at 80% until about 2 hours before I wake up where it then charges up to 100%.
I’ll get the battery replaced when I see significant drop in battery life, probably sometime next year.

View attachment 1914834
But you leave it on the charger long enough that it ends up charging to 100% most of the time, right? Like I have said before, buying new phones is not a big deal for me as in I can afford a new phone once a year, for instance, but I have this Verizon extender issue that wont work with 5G so I have to make my 11 last or find somewhere I can buy another 11 if it doesnt. Most places stop selling them. Probably can get them still. And replacing the battery is simple too.

Really would like to have a 5G phone but my signal is terrible and I need the extender. Most folks dont know what I am talking about. We are near downtown where we live, pretty big city, and I am told the problem is too many tower signals hitting our 3 block radius causing the lack of signal, not sure if that is true.

I wonder if the tech exists where batteries would last much longer, but the financial outcome is counter to corp profits.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
But you leave it on the charger long enough that it ends up charging to 100% most of the time, right? Like I have said before, buying new phones is not a big deal for me as in I can afford a new phone once a year, for instance, but I have this Verizon extender issue that wont work with 5G so I have to make my 11 last or find somewhere I can buy another 11 if it doesnt. Most places stop selling them. Probably can get them still. And replacing the battery is simple too.

Really would like to have a 5G phone but my signal is terrible and I need the extender. Most folks dont know what I am talking about. We are near downtown where we live, pretty big city, and I am told the problem is too many tower signals hitting our 3 block radius causing the lack of signal, not sure if that is true.

I wonder if the tech exists where batteries would last much longer, but the financial outcome is counter to corp profits.
I get you, we had put a mobile signal extender in my grandparents place some years ago to and I think it to only went up to 4G, I think their situation was similar to yours.

Yep, most times I just charge to 100% and keep going.

Your predicament is quite unique, is it not possible to get an extender that supports 5G? Or are those not in existence yet?

It’s very difficult to keep control of the battery health as sometimes it drops significantly out of nowhere. Mine went from 95% to 87% in a few months and has now been on 87% for a very long time, it’s just not an accurate reading unfortunately.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
4 hours and you have used 1%?

Have you not used the phone in these 4 hours? At all? Mine wont do that even if I dont use it at all, it will go down 1-2% per hour with zero use, which I was happy with till now. ?

Makes sense it would be at 100% if charged all night but you had the screen on the entire time also so I wasnt sure. I do not know how you can charge it this often to 100% which everybody tells me hurts the battery, then use it for 4 hours and use only 1%...I wish I knew how that was possible. We all know the battery goes down slowly from the charge point, but even with it staying at 100 for a while, only down 1% in 4 hours?
I'm fairly regular with my routine, so with the optimize battery feature on I'm guessing the phone just anticipates me.

Yes, I do use the phone, but mainly for calls or text messages or a few emails. Mainly it just sits until I need it. I work from home and I am sitting in front of approximately eight computers, one of them my actual work computer. My MacPro is connected to six displays, one of which is a 55" HDTV. So, music streaming, games, email, video watching, all the stuff people seem to use their phones for now is all right there on the computer. I'd much rather do this stuff using my computers. I mean, my primary displays are two 30" Cinema Displays side by side.

But even when I was working away from home, my profession is as a graphic designer. So I use computers all day. Email was handled by the work computer and any streaming stuff handled by my own laptop and iPad. So, again, the primary function of my iPhone is as a phone.

2021-11-20 12.10.28.jpg

^^^Again, I really do not see a need to use my iPhone as a computer. ;)

Libertas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2018
I get you, we had put a mobile signal extender in my grandparents place some years ago to and I think it to only went up to 4G, I think their situation was similar to yours.

Yep, most times I just charge to 100% and keep going.

Your predicament is quite unique, is it not possible to get an extender that supports 5G? Or are those not in existence yet?

It’s very difficult to keep control of the battery health as sometimes it drops significantly out of nowhere. Mine went from 95% to 87% in a few months and has now been on 87% for a very long time, it’s just not an accurate reading unfortunately.
Thanks, I am looking into whether or not the newest generation extender supports 5G. Kinda hard to get someone at Verizon to answer the question given most you talk to know less about this than you and I do.

Reactions: Tsepz

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
SMH.

View attachment 1914707
What the ? So you're telling me that the iPhone works for you and not you working for the iPhone. Ban him 🤣

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

Also if you dont charge it during the day, then you must use it less than most but unless you tell us we cant know. I can get about 6-7 hours of use which is surfing and listening to XM or podcasts on mine.
iPhone was placed on charger last night some time around 11:40pm. At that time the battery was at 75%.

iPhone was taken off charger around 8:10am, at which time I have 100% of battery.

2021-11-21 08.23.13.png

Libertas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2018
iPhone was placed on charger last night some time around 11:40pm. At that time the battery was at 75%.

iPhone was taken off charger around 8:10am, at which time I have 100% of battery.

View attachment 1915272
Thanks, I guess the remarkable thing is you only use 25% of your battery in 15 hours or whatever.

With the many iPhones I’ve owned I can’t even imagine getting that kind of service but you don’t use it very much you say, I guess that’s got to be it. Thanks again.

I noticed the alarm or clock app is not listed on the battery usage. I did check out that app I may use it down the road.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Thanks, I guess the remarkable thing is you only use 25% of your battery in 15 hours or whatever.

With the many iPhones I’ve owned I can’t even imagine getting that kind of service but you don’t use it very much you say, I guess that’s got to be it. Thanks again.

I noticed the alarm or clock app is not listed on the battery usage. I did check out that app I may use it down the road.
Underneath Home and Lock Screen…

2021-11-21 08.53.05.png

I use the app only at night, which is when the phone is on charger. It doesn't get used at any other time during the day. We have a lot of clocks in the house, computers that have time in the menubar and phones that have clocks on the lockscreen so there's really no need to use it during the day.

Reactions: Libertas

Libertas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2018
Underneath Home and Lock Screen…

View attachment 1915291

I use the app only at night, which is when the phone is on charger. It doesn't get used at any other time during the day. We have a lot of clocks in the house, computers that have time in the menubar and phones that have clocks on the lockscreen so there's really no need to use it during the day.
Using my phone I probably didn’t see the whole picture, having it run all night though and only using 4% sounds pretty efficient.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Using my phone I probably didn’t see the whole picture, having it run all night though and only using 4% sounds pretty efficient.
Well, no. The original picture did not include it. I screenshot that on my iPhone and it was down farther. Why I added the second screenshot.

I attribute the 4% usage to the fact that the iPhone is on charger. If my screen were on for that long with the app running and the phone NOT on charger I expect it would show much more usage.

Libertas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2018
Well, no. The original picture did not include it. I screenshot that on my iPhone and it was down farther. Why I added the second screenshot.

I attribute the 4% usage to the fact that the iPhone is on charger. If my screen were on for that long with the app running and the phone NOT on charger I expect it would show much more usage.
My bad, I lost Internet( good ole Comcast in the middle of all this this morning.

Without Internet my extender doesn’t work so I basically have nothing, although the cell signal right now is strong enough for me to do this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.