Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fish09276

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2011
I currently have an iPhone 13 promax but it is a bit too cumbersome (and pricey) so for those reasons, I am switching back to an iPhone 11 which I ordered on January 15 and it is now the 25th and I am still waiting for it to be shipped. there are none in my local Apple store. is this because the chip scarcity or is it just shipping in general

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Both of those reasons are possible. I'd say you're just going to have to wait or check around at BestBuy, your carrier or other Authorized Apple Resellers

fish09276

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2011
Both of those reasons are possible. I'd say you're just going to have to wait or check around at BestBuy, your carrier or other Authorized Apple Resellers
Thanks but no thanks. I’m sure Apple will fulfill this week. But for a two year old phone, two weeks wait is unusual.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Thanks but no thanks. I’m sure Apple will fulfill this week. But for a two year old phone, two weeks wait is unusual.
You have to distinguish between a two-year-old model and a phone that was manufactured two years ago.

Apple is not in the habit of storing products in a warehouse for two years (or even three months). Apple is actively manufacturing every product it sells, regardless of when it was originally introduced to the public. "Just in time inventory," and all that. When a product is phased out they'll close down the factory line some months prior to the official discontinuation. So, it's completely conceivable that manufacturing issues that affect newer models can also affect older models (such as higher-than-anticipated demand, chip shortages, shipping delays, etc.).

jow99

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2017
iPhone 11 has been in short supply for the past 3-4 months at least. At $499 it is at a sweet spot price-wise, so I guess it is in demand. It is almost never available in store, and when a new stock comes it is gone in a few hours. In Oct-Nov, the wait time for an online order was around a month.

Ram65

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
Wow for an iPhone 11 that’s crazy with the wait times . But these are crazy times we living in

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
There's a global pandemic and a chip shortage. It effects the production of everything, not just new phones.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Chip shortage affects all phones, even older ones. Took a month to get my replacement iPad Air 3’s as well due to the shortage

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The same power management and power reguluation chips are used in all current iPhones, so supply issues will affect all devices.

fish09276

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2011
Thanks all. Hopefully this week. I’ll save lots going from 13 pro max to an 11. Less weight to tote also. But weaker battery and lcd screen and 60 hz scrolling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.