Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Subtronix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2017
I've got 5G with 3 in the UK. Unlimited data and use it for my home broadband. When I do a speed test I get great speeds of 640 Mbps down and 40 Mbps up.

F8203E78-A2CD-4CE1-9034-DAC12CC6D8D4.jpeg

When I actually download a film from Netflix I average about 80 Mbps download speed with the highest being 200 but this happened only once. Can someone explain why with speed tests which also downloads data I get real 5G speeds but when I do actual downloads I get 4G speeds. Like I said I once downloaded a film at 200 Mbps which is still in the 4G range but my average is between 70 and 90. Is it because my phone cannot deal with speeds faster than 4G?

Last edited:

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
The speed also depends on the number of hops and server it’s connecting to. If you choose different servers on speed test you’ll see different results.

And an iPhone 11 can’t physically connect to true 5G wavelength, so any speed you see is the speed you’re getting on 4G.

Reactions: LFC2020

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
Your post doesn't make sense, since iPhone 11 doesn't support 5G and your speedtest is done on WiFi. I think you are confusing 5GHz WiFi with 5G.

Reactions: akash.nu

Subtronix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2017
Your post doesn't make sense, since iPhone 11 doesn't support 5G and your speedtest is done on WiFi. I think you are confusing 5GHz WiFi with 5G.
No I'm not confusing anything. I have a HUAWEI 5G CPE Pro router which I connect my iPhone 11 to via wifi. The router recieves very strong 5G speeds as the mast is right behind my house.

When my phone is connected to the router and I do a speed test I get around 600 Mbps on the phone. When I download a film from Netflix on the same phone it downloads it at about 80 Mbps.

The question I'm asking, is my phone not capable of dowloading a film at 600 Mbps because it's only 4G capable?

Last edited:

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
No I'm not confusing anything. I have a HUAWEI 5G CPE Pro router which I connect my iPhone 11 to via wifi. The router recieves very strong 5G speeds as the mast is right behind my house.

When my phone is connected to the router and I do a speed test I get around 600 Mbps on the phone. When I download a film from Netflix on the same phone it downloads it at about 80 Mbps.

The question I'm asking, is my phone not capable of dowloading a film at 600 Mbps because it's only 4G capable?
Aah ok, but you didn't mention that it was through a mobile broadband router, so no way to know.

Sure the iPhone can download a film at full speed. The bottleneck must be either Netflix or throttling at your service provider.

Subtronix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2017
The bottleneck must be either Netflix or throttling at your service provider.

Probably the latter. It's crazy as they allow full download speeds on speed test sites but "manage" the speed when I download films, defeats the object of 5G

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Probably the latter. It's crazy as they allow full download speeds on speed test sites but "manage" the speed when I download films, defeats the object of 5G

This is actually pretty normal practice depending on your ISP / connecting servers.

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
Thanks for the heads up. This is what I got

View attachment 1728085
Don't fully understand it but seems to say I can stream 4K
Ok. I also think it is netflix, which is "bottleneck", though 80Mbits might be enough for 4K. I don't know how it work to download a movie from Netflix (I don't have subscription), but last I heard they had there own "small" distributed servers close to subscripers instead of using, so I guess they balance the load.

Reactions: max2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.