Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
I thought I’d do a little write up about my experiences with the new iPhone 11 coming from an XR.

The hardware is very much a refined XR, in daily use there isn’t much difference between the 2 until you get to the camera whereby the 11 is far superior.

iOS 13 however is a buggy mess and not fit for public use, here is my list of issues:

Bluetooth hands free connection to my work van’s Parrot system drops connection all the time, and still hasn’t been fixed in 13.1.3 which claims to fix this issue. For me this is a major bug that needs fixing ASAP as it is a road safety issue.
If I attempt to dial a call from the Parrot often it will sit and bleep at me but the phone has gone ahead and made the call in my pocket anyway, the Parrot will still appear to be connected but isn’t actually connected. This seems to be iPhone 11 only though, as the XR didn’t have this issue on iOS 13

I keep my phone on silent as I have a smart watch, but on iOS 12 when Bluetooth headphones or in car kit was connected I’d get my ringtone come through and Siri announce the call too, this no longer works.
On headphones all I’ll get is silence where my music stops and then I’ll get a buzz on my watch, in my van the radio will mute for a second then come back but the Parrot system will show I have a call, whereas before when the phone rang it will mute the radio and play the ringtone and Siri announcement.

WiFi often seems to disconnect for no reason, especially when moving between my 2 access points with the same SSID. On iOS 12 it would hold WiFi as I moved away from one and then connect to the other seamlessly, now it drops to cellular as I move between the 2.
Back on my XR when I had iOS 13 and was setting up a friends WiFi my iPhone would often disconnect or take ages to work, but his phone on iOS 12 would work perfect.

An issue I had on the XR (which is what prompted me to get the 11) is the LTE connection would freeze and require a reboot to fix, the 11 doesn’t seem to suffer this but I think it’s because I am now running dual SIM on 2 different networks. My XR with an o2 SIM card would freeze often, but with my works EE sim it worked fine. My 11 now has both SIM cards in at once which is why I suspect it’s not happening at the moment.

After finishing a voice call on VoLTE the data connection would take a while to start working, web pages and apps take a while and will often hang (this is not a dual sim issue either as the call and data connection are on the same line)

The other day I finished a call and immediately opened the Amazon app which hung in a weird way, it had 2 lots of icons on the top bar and I couldn’t get it working again until I locked my phone and unlocked it again.

The mail app is a mess, enough said.

Text editing on this forum is a mess.

Now I was on the iOS 13 beta on my XR and reported most of these during my time on the beta, but enough was enough so reset the XR back to 12.4 and setup as a new device and then when I got the 11 I moved my stuff over via iCloud, so my user data shouldn’t be the issue also a lot of people seem to be having the exact same issues as me, maybe not all at the same time like me but there are various threads about these issues individually.

Looks like iOS 13 is going to be the unlucky release, living up to its name.

It seems as if anything radio related is the issue with iOS 13, and it seems as though 13.2 isn’t going to fix these issues either if the complaints about it are to be believed.

Super Spartan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2018
Dubai
I thought I’d do a little write up about my experiences with the new iPhone 11 coming from an XR.

The hardware is very much a refined XR, in daily use there isn’t much difference between the 2 until you get to the camera whereby the 11 is far superior.

iOS 13 however is a buggy mess and not fit for public use, here is my list of issues:

Bluetooth hands free connection to my work van’s Parrot system drops connection all the time, and still hasn’t been fixed in 13.1.3 which claims to fix this issue. For me this is a major bug that needs fixing ASAP as it is a road safety issue.
If I attempt to dial a call from the Parrot often it will sit and bleep at me but the phone has gone ahead and made the call in my pocket anyway, the Parrot will still appear to be connected but isn’t actually connected. This seems to be iPhone 11 only though, as the XR didn’t have this issue on iOS 13

I keep my phone on silent as I have a smart watch, but on iOS 12 when Bluetooth headphones or in car kit was connected I’d get my ringtone come through and Siri announce the call too, this no longer works.
On headphones all I’ll get is silence where my music stops and then I’ll get a buzz on my watch, in my van the radio will mute for a second then come back but the Parrot system will show I have a call, whereas before when the phone rang it will mute the radio and play the ringtone and Siri announcement.

WiFi often seems to disconnect for no reason, especially when moving between my 2 access points with the same SSID. On iOS 12 it would hold WiFi as I moved away from one and then connect to the other seamlessly, now it drops to cellular as I move between the 2.
Back on my XR when I had iOS 13 and was setting up a friends WiFi my iPhone would often disconnect or take ages to work, but his phone on iOS 12 would work perfect.

An issue I had on the XR (which is what prompted me to get the 11) is the LTE connection would freeze and require a reboot to fix, the 11 doesn’t seem to suffer this but I think it’s because I am now running dual SIM on 2 different networks. My XR with an o2 SIM card would freeze often, but with my works EE sim it worked fine. My 11 now has both SIM cards in at once which is why I suspect it’s not happening at the moment.

After finishing a voice call on VoLTE the data connection would take a while to start working, web pages and apps take a while and will often hang (this is not a dual sim issue either as the call and data connection are on the same line)

The other day I finished a call and immediately opened the Amazon app which hung in a weird way, it had 2 lots of icons on the top bar and I couldn’t get it working again until I locked my phone and unlocked it again.

The mail app is a mess, enough said.

Text editing on this forum is a mess.

Now I was on the iOS 13 beta on my XR and reported most of these during my time on the beta, but enough was enough so reset the XR back to 12.4 and setup as a new device and then when I got the 11 I moved my stuff over via iCloud, so my user data shouldn’t be the issue also a lot of people seem to be having the exact same issues as me, maybe not all at the same time like me but there are various threads about these issues individually.

Looks like iOS 13 is going to be the unlucky release, living up to its name.

It seems as if anything radio related is the issue with iOS 13, and it seems as though 13.2 isn’t going to fix these issues either if the complaints about it are to be believed.
iOS 13 + Catalina = A match made in hell!

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
Not really used Catalina, I mean I have it on my MacBook Pro Mid 2012 but the wife uses that machine for some basic browsing and that’s about it.

Is it that bad then? As bad as iOS 13?

If so then what is the point of all the developer Beta and Public Beta testing? I mean I did send detailed reports back about these bugs and they were acknowledged and grouped with other reports as they all said “more than 10 reports received”

These issues maybe could be explained if it were the 1st update of a new OS but were are now the public release and 4 updates in, this is unacceptable really.

Reactions: thewhitehart

Super Spartan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2018
Dubai
Not really used Catalina, I mean I have it on my MacBook Pro Mid 2012 but the wife uses that machine for some basic browsing and that’s about it.

Is it that bad then? As bad as iOS 13?

If so then what is the point of all the developer Beta and Public Beta testing? I mean I did send detailed reports back about these bugs and they were acknowledged and grouped with other reports as they all said “more than 10 reports received”

These issues maybe could be explained if it were the 1st update of a new OS but were are now the public release and 4 updates in, this is unacceptable really.
Just read this thread bro: Downgraded to Mojave, best thing I ever did!

And yes, you make a very good point, what's the point of those 10s of Betas when the "final" is just as buggy if not buggier.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
EXACTLY THAT. I ditched my XS Max, which was a good but not really great piece of hardware (IMO) for a launch-day 11 Pro Max, which as far as I can tell (given the limitations of the train wreck that Apple insists on referring to as iOS 13) is a really capable, well-balanced, mature piece of hardware (as you'd expect, given that it's essentially an iPhone XSS - which is not a complaint).

I did run 13.0 for a little over a day (yeah, I know) before I used the IUP to trade the XSM for the 11PM, and I did *not* have the kind of problems that I've had since then. For the past few years I've hung back to watch the reports on the new phones. I didn't jump into the XSM until December last year. I think I'll be going back to that plan in the future.
[automerge]1571744977[/automerge]

I'm not going anywhere near Catalina, certainly not in the short term future and possibly never. The Catalina forum is full of reports of problems, and in any case it doesn't support 32 bit apps, which I still have some of - ahem, Adobe, how about those helper apps...

Reactions: Stuey3D

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
Well yet another bug to report, related to one above but manifested in a different way.

Was just on the phone to my friend, LTE dropped to 3G which isn’t anything unusual data still worked when on the phone as expected. However when I hung up it didn’t go back to LTE and the 2nd sim’s signal didn’t return. I try to use data but it hung, then phone looses both signals then gets the 2nd Sim signal back and then finally the first sim signal returns back to LTE.

This only took a minute or so, so it’s not the end of the world as no reboot needed to fix, but it’s clearly not working right though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
EXACTLY THAT. I ditched my XS Max, which was a good but not really great piece of hardware (IMO) for a launch-day 11 Pro Max, which as far as I can tell (given the limitations of the train wreck that Apple insists on referring to as iOS 13) is a really capable, well-balanced, mature piece of hardware (as you'd expect, given that it's essentially an iPhone XSS - which is not a complaint).

I did run 13.0 for a little over a day (yeah, I know) before I used the IUP to trade the XSM for the 11PM, and I did *not* have the kind of problems that I've had since then. For the past few years I've hung back to watch the reports on the new phones. I didn't jump into the XSM until December last year. I think I'll be going back to that plan in the future.

I'm not going anywhere near Catalina, certainly not in the short term future and possibly never. The Catalina forum is full of reports of problems, and in any case it doesn't support 32 bit apps, which I still have some of - ahem, Adobe, how about those helper apps...
It definitely seems like Apple should've bit the bullet and released the 11 series with 12.4.x and admitted that 13 is a bit of a wreck and needs more time for testing before it can be released.

That way we get shiny new hardware that isn't let down by half baked software. Then again Apple loves to brag about their software install base and how so many people are using the latest OS vs Android.

Reactions: newellj

Hofstede

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2014
iOS has made my iPhone XS Max faster and smoother a bit, but the performance becomes unstable. Overall, the released iOS 13 is quite bad.
[automerge]1571787545[/automerge]

Catalina is trash. I encountered problems when connecting my iphone and iPad to my Mac after the installation of Catalina, given settings of finder are in order.

I am not sure what’s happening in Apple which prides itself of hardware and software.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
I guess they spent too much time on the iPadOS. Luckily, only problem that’s been bothering me is the handsfree function in my car, where I can’t hear Siri.

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
I guess they spent too much time on the iPadOS. Luckily, only problem that’s been bothering me is the handsfree function in my car, where I can’t hear Siri.
Oh yeah I totally forgot Siri no longer does her opening beep to let you know she is listening.

Quite often I accidentally trigger her in my pocket at work, and the only indication she is listening is the music I was listening to on the headphones goes silent.

On prior iOS versions she would have an opening beep to let you know when to speak.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Been running iOS 13 since beta and now live on my11 Pro Max. Had mail issues on the beta bad enough I went back to 12 on the XS Max. Had zero issues on 13.1 on the Pro Max, mail works now without issue and no issues with o2 4G calls and data or Bluetooth connectivity/calls.I would suggest a full reset, don’t restore any data and avoid using 2 sims initially until you test everything out, Bluetooth, call/data etc. Only way to know for sure if it’s data from the previous backups causing the issue Or dual sim issue or other.

call announcing, enable your preference in settings > phone > announce calls
turn off listen for Siri or allow Siri when locked if it keeps going off in your pocket
siri eyes free still beeps when you have to talk.

Last edited:

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
Been running iOS 13 since beta and now live on my11 Pro Max. Had mail issues on the beta bad enough I went back to 12 on the XS Max. Had zero issues on 13.1 on the Pro Max, mail works now without issue and no issues with o2 4G calls and data or Bluetooth connectivity/calls.I would suggest a full reset, don’t restore any data and avoid using 2 sims initially until you test everything out, Bluetooth, call/data etc. Only way to know for sure if it’s data from the previous backups causing the issue Or dual sim issue or other.

call announcing, enable your preference in settings > phone > announce calls
turn off listen for Siri or allow Siri when locked if it keeps going off in your pocket
siri eyes free still beeps when you have to talk.

Siri call announcing is on, the whole ringtone and Siri fails on iOS 13 but didn’t on 12.

I’ve only just reset my phone as new, only about a month ago just as iOS 13 was released.

The o2 sim issue was on my XR too even after a fresh install and update to iOS 13 it came back. However now I’m dual sim on my 11 it doesn’t completely freeze like before, and my friend who now has the XR on EE also doesn’t have any issues.

Mail app isn’t so bad for me, it has got better so I can live with it, however it isn’t as smooth and bug free as iOS 12

However good call on Siri whilst locked, that is one major annoyance I’ve had for years since the X ditched the home button.

I’m a bit hesitant to reset yet again as I’ve done it so much recently that my banking apps and Apple Pay are all requiring extra verification to get working, last reset I did I had a major clear out of all my apps too. This is the cleanest my phone has ever been lol.
[automerge]1571815756[/automerge]
In my experience I had most of these bugs in the iOS 13 beta on my XR, I DFU restored back to 12.4.x and set up from new which made the phone work perfect again and then iOS 13 was released and almost all of those bugs came back.

The only bug that I didnt have on my XR but I have on my 11 is the connectivity issues with the Parrot in the work van, that seems to be only iPhone 11 problem maybe due to newer hardware etc.

Last edited:

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
Can anyone on the 13.2 Beta advise whether 13.2 fixes a lot of these issues? From what I’ve been reading a lot of bugs and issues still exist in 13.2 and a lot of the above bugs haven’t been fixed.

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
There is hope yet. I bit the bullet and installed iOS 13.2 beta 4 and the WiFi roaming issue seems to be fixed, no more dropping to 4G in between.

I’ll need to do more testing but so far it’s looking promising.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Mail is still a disaster and on my 11PM it's actually getting worse. A couple of days ago it stopped downloading random emails on my Exchange account. Not "need to refresh," but simply doesn't download. Last night it did that with an couple of Gmail emails.

I can't return my 11PM but I can throw it in the sock drawer. I was driving around eastern Massachusetts yesterday trying to find a Best Buy that still had an XSM with 12.4 or 12.4.1 installed. If I can find one, I'll spend the $1000-1300 to get back on 12.4.1.

Reactions: max2

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Mail is still a disaster and on my 11PM it's actually getting worse. A couple of days ago it stopped downloading random emails on my Exchange account. Not "need to refresh," but simply doesn't download. Last night it did that with an couple of Gmail emails.

I can't return my 11PM but I can throw it in the sock drawer. I was driving around eastern Massachusetts yesterday trying to find a Best Buy that still had an XSM with 12.4 or 12.4.1 installed. If I can find one, I'll spend the $1000-1300 to get back on 12.4.1.
Just use Outlook and be done with it. It was always better than the stock Mail app anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.