Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vipin Verma

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2020
Singapore
In July I encounter issue with my iPhone 11 that I purchased in Oct 2019 (9 months). The issue was with its receiver's volume. The Volume was very loo, although worked fine on speaker and headphones. I visited apple store and they told me that they will replace the handphone since it was in warranty. I ask them for possible cause, but they did not tell anything. The replaced set was working fine till few weeks ago and now it also has the same low receiver volume issue. The iphone is out of warranty now (13th month). I know Apple will again advise me to replace the receiver which will cost me few 100 dollars. I want to ask if I can find a possible cause for this problem. I did ask Apple in July to revert to me with cause, but they never replied.

PS: I faced same issue with my iphone 6 in 2018. At that time also the issue returned after Apple replaced the receiver of the iPhone 6.

Last edited:

Dejected

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2019
I had the same problem with my Iphone 11's speakers !! after 5 months the became very low

Vipin Verma

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2020
Singapore
update: I went to Apple Genius Bar and as expected they suggested screen replacement. Apple Genius Bar was unable to explain the possible cause. I told them I won’t opt for screen replacement till we find out the possible cause. My phone’s warranty expired on 5 Oct. This could be related to iOS upgrades?

Vipin Verma

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2020
Singapore
Interestingly my iPhone 7 went like that a little too after a couple of years use.
there seems more to it than simple hardware failure. iOS upgrades definitely has a role to play in this problem. unless Apple admits their receivers are cheap. Not heard of this problem with their competitors. this is iphone specific problem.

mikizee

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
Interestingly my iPhone 7 went like that a little too after a couple of years use.

Yep my iPhone 7 plus did the same. When playing music, the bottom speaker became way louder than the earpiece. Got it replaced once under warranty, and the replacement did it as well less than a year later.

Aggie2010

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2016
I’ve started having the same issue with the 11 pro max. Volume is fine on speaker and while using airpods, but the volume through the receiver is very low. Unfortunately the Apple Store in my area is closed, so I am unable to make an appointment and most other service locations don’t have any immediate appointments. I’m thinking of just upgrading or I may have to send it through mail to be looked at. This issue just started Monday.

Last edited:

Vipin Verma

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2020
Singapore
Update: I have escalated the problem to Apple Support. They were checking with their engineering team for possible cause. They reverted yesterday that they can not investigate the issue further and rather want me to visit store. Strangely it is a non-issue for Apple.

Reactions: Aggie2010

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
I had the same issue with my XS after about a year... Trading it in so not even going to bother... But, this is definitely concerning!

Reactions: Aggie2010

Vipin Verma

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2020
Singapore
Update: Apple replaced the screen and receiver. I still do not know the reason for the fault. I will followup with Apple Support for possible reason for receiver’s issue. Its either the way I am using the phone is problematic or there is more to it that Apple might be able to pin point.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
This is normal. Happens every few months to many iPhones. You just need to visit the Apple store and get your earpiece, mic, and speakers cleaned. In 99% of cases replacement isn’t needed, just need to get it cleaned. In a rare case it might be hardware failure. And then you’ll have to replace the screen.

Did they replace it for free? Why would they do that out of warranty? Which store and city?

Vipin Verma

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2020
Singapore
This is normal. Happens every few months to many iPhones. You just need to visit the Apple store and get your earpiece, mic, and speakers cleaned. In 99% of cases replacement isn’t needed, just need to get it cleaned. In a rare case it might be hardware failure. And then you’ll have to replace the screen.

Did they replace it for free? Why would they do that out of warranty? Which store and city?
It was hardware failure, not a debris in the mesh. The hardware failure is unexplained so far. They replaced the earpiece free since it was within 3 months of components warranty. It was in Singapore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.