Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bsadle1

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2016
Will WiFi speeds improve over WiFi? I’m talking between processing speed and hardware itself shouldn’t the speed of WiFi improve??

Right now the most I can pull is 550 down and 590 up. (I have symmetrical gigabit fiber.)

Only reason I ask I because I actually work for ATT and install fiber...a lot of times our customers don’t believe they are getting all their speed and complain...if I could pull in the 700 range over WiFi I think that would help my case.

Trust me, I’m not complaining about my speed of 550m down...that’s hella good. But some people just don’t understand bandwidth and some devices can’t process and handle high speeds. If I can show them speeds closer to a gig then I can explain to them if my device can get close and yours can’t, then it’s a device issue not and service provider issue.

Coffee_Time

Cancelled
Nov 22, 2017
Will WiFi speeds improve over WiFi? I’m talking between processing speed and hardware itself shouldn’t the speed of WiFi improve??

Right now the most I can pull is 550 down and 590 up. (I have symmetrical gigabit fiber.)

Only reason I ask I because I actually work for ATT and install fiber...a lot of times our customers don’t believe they are getting all their speed and complain...if I could pull in the 700 range over WiFi I think that would help my case.

Trust me, I’m not complaining about my speed of 550m down...that’s hella good. But some people just don’t understand bandwidth and some devices can’t process and handle high speeds. If I can show them speeds closer to a gig then I can explain to them if my device can get close and yours can’t, then it’s a device issue not and service provider issue.
What about throttling? Don't you think your customers know about it? My 4k TV consumption is 75GB a day for example.... I have gigabit fiber also at home, but it's throttled in some websites. Customers want speed in those throttled websites. They will always complain. You're fighting with mountains...

Bsadle1

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2016
What about throttling? Don't you think your customers know about it? My 4k TV consumption is 75GB a day for example.... I have gigabit fiber also at home, but it's throttled in some websites. Customers want speed in those throttled websites. They will always complain. You're fighting with mountains...

IKR, people always run speed tests on and old Computers or older phones and only get like 50-60m down on 1000 fiber. Then they be like “I’m payin for 1,000 and I’m only getting 60, I’m not getting what I’m paying for!!!” Then I connect with my 10s max and pull 550 and the look on their face is priceless...I just want that look to be even more priceless when I pull 700 on an 11 pro max (hopefully).

gazzy644

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2015
The Note 10+ on Wifi 6 pulls around 600 Mbps, I would expect similar results for the new iPhone.

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
That’s the limitation of AC router (WiFi 5). You need to test using AX router (WiFi 6) which the 11 Pro may gain higher speed close to 1GB.

You can’t compare Apple to Orange when you’re comparing AC router to an AX WiFi chip on this year iPhone. Using my AX router with AX wireless adapter (connected at 2.4GB link), I’m getting speed as close to wired connection at 800-1012mbps. However, I don’t have 11 Pro/Max to test.

Last edited:

Bsadle1

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2016
That’s the limitation of AC router (WiFi 5). You need to test using AX router (WiFi 6) which the 11 Pro may gain higher speed close to 1GB.

You can’t compare Apple to Orange when you’re comparing AC router to an AX WiFi chip on this year iPhone. Using my AX router with AX wireless adapter (connected at 2.4GB link), I’m getting speed as close to wired connection at 800-1012mbps. However, I don’t have 11 Pro/Max to test.

I guess I’ll have to buy one and put my gateway in pass through mode....

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Just did a Wi-Fi Speedtest for my daughter on her iPhone 11
B2E0B4E2-7259-48CA-88C3-BA35A299784D.jpeg

McPhallus

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
I have att gigafiber and my speeds are the same as they were on the XS Max (around 500k).

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
So you’re telling me you install fiber and don’t know the difference between WiFi 5 and WiFi 6?
1569123919641.png
If they have slow networking gear the iPhone 11 Pro isn’t suddenly going to be able to run faster than the network can handle.

It probably doesn’t run fast because AT&T routers suck and have a tendency to slow down and have issues rebooting a bunch after a short amount of time. They take the nice routers that I’ve security hardened at my grandparents house and install some cheap crap with a simple numeric password and open everything and no range that they charge them monthly for and once or twice per year I have to fix everything again for them. Pisses me off.

Installers like you need to realize that when customers complain about it being slow, it’s probably because they’re often using your junk hardware that can’t even reach their bedroom or basement with more than 10Mbps. It’s useless to have 1Gbps with a setup like that and not even that but I think it’s also unethical to charge for it if you can’t provide decent hardware or recommendations that can actually attain even 90% of their rated speed.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
So you’re telling me you install fiber and don’t know the difference between WiFi 5 and WiFi 6?
View attachment 861998
If they have slow networking gear the iPhone 11 Pro isn’t suddenly going to be able to run faster than the network can handle.

It probably doesn’t run fast because AT&T routers suck and have a tendency to slow down and have issues rebooting a bunch after a short amount of time. They take the nice routers that I’ve security hardened at my grandparents house and install some cheap crap with a simple numeric password and open everything and no range that they charge them monthly for and once or twice per year I have to fix everything again for them. Pisses me off.

Installers like you need to realize that when customers complain about it being slow, it’s probably because they’re often using your junk hardware that can’t even reach their bedroom or basement with more than 10Mbps. It’s useless to have 1Gbps with a setup like that and not even that but I think it’s also unethical to charge for it if you can’t provide decent hardware or recommendations that can actually attain even 90% of their rated speed.
This is very true. People often don’t know the real story behind the wiring. In Irvine for example COX Cable has a monopoly over pretty much all the neighborhoods,businesses and homes which get internet service. The sales person or tech person will tell you that COX has Gigabyte service in your neighborhood which means that they probably laid out the proper cables outside and from outside to your box if you live in a community but then the community box which then goes to each home individually is most likely using 40 year old RJ59 cables meant for TV’s from back in the 70’s and 80’s . Quite often if not most of the time the lines going into homes that are 30-40 years old have 30-40 year old cables going into your home which were not built for Gigabyte internet data speeds from today. Reason being is COX is responsible for the cable in the street and from the street to your box but from your box to your house/residence or business is normally what the HOA is responsible for and the HOA does not want to spend $10-20K on paying someone to rip down all the walls to change those 30-40 year old outdated RJ59 cables. Some how they tweak and boost them but you end up with half the speeds still and upload speeds are still horrible.
40491DE4-8563-4E0E-A8B9-0315452F187B.jpeg

Reactions: macduke

xjt

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2015

I am getting about 700 to 750 on AX router.
31CF1045-4CE2-4794-8F41-4BA77EBF3184.jpeg

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
The Note 10+ on Wifi 6 pulls around 600 Mbps, I would expect similar results for the new iPhone.
Similar story. Put in AX router and saw my 2015 MacBook go from 80Mb to 240. My S10+ did also. But it was my iPhone X that real world improvement.

I pay for but never saw the 200Mbps I pay for before

kodaker

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2015
I also have AT&T gigabit fiber and I just tested my iPhone 11 Pro Max and I got 372 down and 298 up.

xjt

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2015
Here is highest speed I have gotten so far... I am using Netgear RAX80 with gigabit from Xfinity

09751B8F-4F85-4C82-9646-8B306A2D2FF5.png

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
Here is highest speed I have gotten so far... I am using Netgear RAX80 with gigabit from Xfinity

View attachment 864002
Nice to see Wi-Fi 6 make a difference.
I’m on synchronous 1Gbit and only get 650Mbps each way on Wi-Fi 5 (Netgear R7800).

Hopefully iPhone 12 Pro will have Wi-Fi 6E which will be a game changer.

BuggyGT

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2019
Anyone else think it is strange that Apple included Wi-Fi 6 on their recent iPhone 11's but not on the 2 new Macbook Pro 16" and 2020 Macbook Pro 13" that were released after the iPhone 11? It would be far more beneficial to have it on my new Macbook, the iPhone doesn't even support Netflix or Youtube at 4K for example and I hardly download large files on my iPhone either.

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
Anyone else think it is strange that Apple included Wi-Fi 6 on their recent iPhone 11's but not on the 2 new Macbook Pro 16" and 2020 Macbook Pro 13" that were released after the iPhone 11? It would be far more beneficial to have it on my new Macbook, the iPhone doesn't even support Netflix or Youtube at 4K for example and I hardly download large files on my iPhone either.
Not weird, Intel related. Next gen CPU/chipset has WiFi 6.

muusicman

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2024
Local small 1 gig fiber company and iPhone 11 Pro Max. I’m wanting to get the new iPhone 15 Pro Max.

Attachments

• IMG_6864.jpeg
    IMG_6864.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 32
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.