Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphone5att64

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Does anyone else have a shadow around the notch and in the edges of their iPhone 11 LCD? It’s more noticeable on the iPhone 11 than on my iPhone XR. Are these screens cheaper?

austyn23

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2017
yes there is a shadow, is the LCD that can´t bend when it meets the borders.

iphone-xr-shadow.jpg

Ingenioutored

Suspended
May 16, 2019
Came here searching for this. I habe the same thing. I can see a faint shadow around the edges of my iphone 11 screen.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
Does anyone else have a shadow around the notch and in the edges of their iPhone 11 LCD? It’s more noticeable on the iPhone 11 than on my iPhone XR. Are these screens cheaper?

This is how LCD technology works. In the corners, or around the notch there will be a shadow. some have it, some do not have it. But there is no perfect LCD.

^ My wife’s iPhone 11 has a faint shadow around the notch in one side of it.

The AMOLED is worth it for me, because the back light is perfectly even.

also any LCD display on a Apple device will have some kind of flaw to it. You can look closely and find it. My iPad Pro 1TB 11” looks pretty good, but you can see the slight shadows in the display or distortion in the rounded corners.

Reactions: Ungibbed and 204353

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
Or maybe you just don't notice it. Brightness and viewing angle impacts this.

It was commonly observed on the XR (My own included). Probably the same on 11.

I’ve been trying to see it since this thread. I mean I’m really looking hard now and I can’t see it.

Im not saying this problem doesn’t exist. I’m sure it does. But mine seems fine.

KiraYamato

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2015
This is how LCD technology works. In the corners, or around the notch there will be a shadow. some have it, some do not have it. But there is no perfect LCD.

^ My wife’s iPhone 11 has a faint shadow around the notch in one side of it.

The AMOLED is worth it for me, because the back light is perfectly even.

also any LCD display on a Apple device will have some kind of flaw to it. You can look closely and find it. My iPad Pro 1TB 11” looks pretty good, but you can see the slight shadows in the display or distortion in the rounded corners.
iphone oleds have their own problems. There are a few large threads on this here. In comparison the regular 11 seems to have less qc problems lately and barely any mention. The ones that do mention its screen are the ones in the oled thread bemoaning how the 11s they have seen in shops are much more to their taste temperature wise.

I got a perfect screen, no backlight bleed, uniform, perfect temperature. Love it.

Reactions: ultravegeta1981

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
iphone oleds have their own problems. There are a few large threads on this here. In comparison the regular 11 seems to have less qc problems lately and barely any mention. The ones that do mention its screen are the ones in the oled thread bemoaning how the 11s they have seen in shops are much more to their taste temperature wise.

I got a perfect screen, no backlight bleed, uniform, perfect temperature. Love it.

No such thing as Perfect in LCD. But there is good enough.

and as far as OLED goes I am referring to an actual physical problem with the screen. not calibration. Although, ios13 was corrupting the iPhone 11 Pro display calibration file causing yellow coloration. Same thing happen to mine.

KiraYamato

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2015
No such thing as Perfect in LCD. But there is good enough.

and as far as OLED goes I am referring to an actual physical problem with the screen. not calibration. Although, ios13 was corrupting the iPhone 11 Pro display calibration file causing yellow coloration. Same thing happen to mine.
Pefect in my eyes and i count myself as quite picky. This series qc must have gone up because I wasn’t expecting this.

anyway as said, corruption or no, the iphone oleds are not impressing me. I have had Samsung phones (most recent one is the note 9), and they just feel better to me.

I literally chose to go for the 11 because of this. of course I would have gone for the pro if I knew for sure I’d get a perfect one and win the screen lottery.

Ingenioutored

Suspended
May 16, 2019
I’ve been trying to see it since this thread. I mean I’m really looking hard now and I can’t see it.

Im not saying this problem doesn’t exist. I’m sure it does. But mine seems fine.

My wife can't see it on mine either. Its extremely faint in corners. Hell even I can't notice it half the time. Also my 11's screen is tad bit warmer compared to my XR.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
This is an effect that happens on any LCD screen with slim edges/bezels. The LCD screen is made of a stack of layers. The actual image is formed near the top, but the light comes from a backlight diffuser film a distance behind.

Traditionally, the backlight diffuser was extended beyond the edge of the image. To minimize bezels/non-image area, they trimmed this overhang. As a result, when you look at the screen from an angle, you can more easily see past the edge of the diffuser.

This picture shows the effect on a slim bezel desktop monitor. The two are identical models, but the one on the left is viewed at an angle, where the one on the right is nearly straight on.

You can also point this inherent limitation out to those who scream for a bezel-less laptop or iMac screen.

Attachments

• IMG_1101 - Copy.jpeg
    IMG_1101 - Copy.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 579

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
Pefect in my eyes and i count myself as quite picky. This series qc must have gone up because I wasn’t expecting this.

anyway as said, corruption or no, the iphone oleds are not impressing me. I have had Samsung phones (most recent one is the note 9), and they just feel better to me.

I literally chose to go for the 11 because of this. of course I would have gone for the pro if I knew for sure I’d get a perfect one and win the screen lottery.

The screens are perfectly calibrated with professional color accuracy testing warmish or not. I dunno what more someone could ask for.

Ingenioutored

Suspended
May 16, 2019
This is an effect that happens on any LCD screen with slim edges/bezels. The LCD screen is made of a stack of layers. The actual image is formed near the top, but the light comes from a backlight diffuser film a distance behind.

Traditionally, the backlight diffuser was extended beyond the edge of the image. To minimize bezels/non-image area, they trimmed this overhang. As a result, when you look at the screen from an angle, you can more easily see past the edge of the diffuser.

This picture shows the effect on a slim bezel desktop monitor. The two are identical models, but the one on the left is viewed at an angle, where the one on the right is nearly straight on.

You can also point this inherent limitation out to those who scream for a bezel-less laptop or iMac screen.

I understand about looking from an angle but the faint shadow is sometimes visible slightly when looking dead on. Would that also be normal to a certain degree?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.