Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SkydiveGuy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
I waited to upgrade my 6s (only upgrading because the button stopped working a couple months ago).

I decided that the 12 didnt have features that were worth spending the extra money on so I bough the 11 directly from Apple since they discounted it $100.

Well, it arrived and is in the new iPhone 12 packaging that does not include the earpods, wall adapter, and it shipped with a USB-C to Lightning adapter.

I knew the 12 was this way but I find it kind of stupid that they would redo the packaging for the existing stock of 11's. Not to mention that they were not upfront about telling people buying the device this.

I'm getting really fed up with Apples crap.

WiseAJ

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
They mentioned this on Tuesday. Just like with the iPhone 12 its a move for the environment. They can manufacture less wasted earpods and adaptors and fit more iphones in a shipment from china reducing carbon emissions.

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
And save money and save money
[automerge]1602871616[/automerge]
If you ordered from Apple it should have appeared on the whats in the box section. Not that it makes it right.

Reactions: snipr125

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Makes you wonder, will Apple remove it from their Refurbished iPhones?

Or those maybe products don't need reduced environmental emissions.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I waited to upgrade my 6s (only upgrading because the button stopped working a couple months ago).

I decided that the 12 didnt have features that were worth spending the extra money on so I bough the 11 directly from Apple since they discounted it $100.

Well, it arrived and is in the new iPhone 12 packaging that does not include the earpods, wall adapter, and it shipped with a USB-C to Lightning adapter.

I knew the 12 was this way but I find it kind of stupid that they would redo the packaging for the existing stock of 11's. Not to mention that they were not upfront about telling people buying the device this.

SteveManila1960

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2019
London
I get dropping the EarPods that seems to make sense most Apple users have them lying around and probably never use them. Dropping the wall adapter I don't agree with. I have six iPad / iPhones in the house and they all use original Apple chargers. If I add a new phone I have to shell out for an expensive Apple product on top of the cost of the phone or buy a potentially inferior one on the Internet which could potentially damage the phone?

Reactions: winterhobbes

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
I get dropping the EarPods that seems to make sense most Apple users have them lying around and probably never use them. Dropping the wall adapter I don't agree with. I have six iPad / iPhones in the house and they all use original Apple chargers. If I add a new phone I have to shell out for an expensive Apple product on top of the cost of the phone or buy a potentially inferior one on the Internet which could potentially damage the phone?

If you have six iPad/iPhone wall adapters in the house why can you not use one of them to charge the new phone?!

SteveManila1960

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2019
London
Complex.Two of the chargers are higher capacity for the iPads. Daughters use them frequently. The other four are for iPhones and in regular use in the girls bedrooms. It is a logistical issue more than anything else. Why not? If you pay for expensive Apple products, premium price, surely you expect premium service?

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
I mean even my grandma has tons of USB-C wall adapters hanging around. She can plug it directly into her Tesla.
Your grandma is not a normal grandma lol. I’m 42 and my mom has never owned a cellphone, or a Tesla lol. I doubt she ever will!

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
When you order it tells you what you get with every device they sell... Not Apple’s fault you didn’t read your order correctly when placing it. I get that you were expecting the old box with the charger included, but they replaced them all from the keynote forward.

Just pick a third party one up from Amazon or something.

Or if you’re really fed up with “Apple’s crap” then buy something else? They already gave you $100 off from the price it was previously, they could have just dropped the phone altogether so your lucky in that respect.

If you ordered before the price drop then you would have had the old box with the charger, cable and earphones.
For $200 the iPhone 12 is worth every penny over the 11 if your budget allows. Cameras are better, modem and reception/signal even on non-5G network is better, much better screen, nicer in hand feel, supports MagSafe and more accessories going forward and is both lighter and a smaller form factor with the same size screen.

53b13019dfb20171a2ba6b033d71e3ad.png

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Or if you’re really fed up with “Apple’s crap” then buy something else? They already gave you $100 off from the price it was previously, they could have just dropped the phone altogether so your lucky in that respect.
Why can't consumers point out something that negatively affects them and have to be somehow happy about decisions that companies make that don't serve their interests?

WiseAJ

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
The company who uses China, the worlds number one violater of pollution, all the sudden cares about the environment? Riiiight. They just figured out a way to further screw consumers while raising prices.

They dont all of a sudden care about the environment. You must be new to Apple. Environment has been a factor on Apple’s packaging/product material changes for a long long time. They have to find the balance in timing though. I’m sure they would have loved to have been able to do this change years ago but consumers weren’t ready yet. Now most people either have wireless headphones/several pairs of wired headphones and a bunch of wall chargers that including them with every iPhone isn’t as necessary as it used to be.

SteveManila1960

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2019
London
I just think that when I travel on business I should not have to extricate a charging wire and charger from one of our rooms where all the wires and chargers are hidden away behind cabinets. Sure its my life choice not to have electric cables visible and making everything nice and neat. Still I expect a charger when I buy a new Apple product.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
Man all I want is an SE will it still come packaged like that??
If you want an SE, Costco sells unlocked SE2's for $10 less than Apple ($389), and might still have existing stock that include the adapter and earpods.

An added bonus is that Costco has a very generous 90 day return policy on these devices, so there is an even longer window you can try out the device before potentially returning than you would get with Apple right now.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area

Samsung and Google are making nice phones. Maybe give them a try.

SteveManila1960

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2019
London
If you have six iPad/iPhone wall adapters in the house why can you not use one of them to charge the new phone?!
You just know its way more complicated than just numbers. What happens when I travel? What happens when my teenage (OK only 10 years old but still) daughter says 'get out of my room' and slams the door? What if I want to lounge around on the sofa in the living room but the chargers are nicely concealed in the bedrooms behind cabinets? Still holding my ground. Buy an expensive Apple product and I expect a charger included.

SteveManila1960

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2019
London
Its fine, I accept the situation. Just giving my view. It will not stop me buying Apple products I bought into the infrastructure and am here to stay!

SteveManila1960

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2019
London
Oh and some complaints on Internet forums actually do really make things happen so please do not devalue the importance of what happens here. Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.