Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryankul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2014
Michigan
Very fluent with both iOS and Android. Looking for some opinions on which is best between these two. Please don’t recommend other phones. Thanks

$299 iPhone 11 / $259 Samsung A53 5G
(Buying phone outright via pre paid)

A53 5G- No wireless charging,build? cpu?
iPhone 11- No 5G, fairly old?, battery?

Thanks for any help

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
iPhone 11 was launched in 2019. Will probably get 3 years more of OS updates from now, until iOS18.
Galaxy A53 was launched this year, 2022. It will receive 4 years of Android upgrades (until Android 16), and 5 years of security patches.
So if you are looking for longevity, the Galaxy A53 is the better deal in the long term.

Let's go back to what you're looking for in a phone.
Screen: A53 has OLED screen, and that might be preferable compared to iPhone 11's LCD.
Performance: Apple's A chips are simply performance king. I'm sure the A13 will mop the floor with the Galaxy's Exynos 1280.
Camera: Probably a toss up. The iPhone 11 will give you flagship quality at that time though, the same as the iPhone 11 Pro (minus the telephoto lens). Mid-range Samsung Galaxy tends to have lesser camera quality as the better DSPs are reserved for the flagship Galaxy S series.
Battery life: from my experience in using iPhone and Android, regular battery life, Android will edge out as it simply has bigger battery. The A53 has 5000mAh battery. That will last a while. However, stand-by time, the iPhone will win. My iPhone 7+ with its piss poor battery life can last forever on stand-by, longer than any Android phones I have ever had.
FaceID vs optical fingerprint scanner: up to your personal preference. Some people just don't like FaceID. When it works, FaceID is so much better than optical fingerprint scanner. These scanners are slow and accuracy is not up to snuff, even compared to capacitive TouchID. But some people prefers that over FaceID. Your choice.

Both phones don't have headphone jack.

Do you need 5G? If so, the A53 is the obvious choice.

Another consideration, do you have any other Apple products like Macs, and do you use Apple services like iCloud? If you do, the iPhone will give you better user experience through the ecosystem integration. If not, or you're using Google/Microsoft services, then the Galaxy is fine as well.

Reactions: ryankul

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Just to add: If you like to game, get the iPhone. The iPhone 11 has the A13, an actual flagship chip from 2019. It will run games much better than any mid-range SoC Snapdragon/Exynos.

ryankul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2014
Michigan
iPhone 11 was launched in 2019. Will probably get 3 years more of OS updates from now, until iOS18.
Galaxy A53 was launched this year, 2022. It will receive 4 years of Android upgrades (until Android 16), and 5 years of security patches.
So if you are looking for longevity, the Galaxy A53 is the better deal in the long term.

Let's go back to what you're looking for in a phone.
Screen: A53 has OLED screen, and that might be preferable compared to iPhone 11's LCD.
Performance: Apple's A chips are simply performance king. I'm sure the A13 will mop the floor with the Galaxy's Exynos 1280.
Camera: Probably a toss up. The iPhone 11 will give you flagship quality at that time though, the same as the iPhone 11 Pro (minus the telephoto lens). Mid-range Samsung Galaxy tends to have lesser camera quality as the better DSPs are reserved for the flagship Galaxy S series.
Battery life: from my experience in using iPhone and Android, regular battery life, Android will edge out as it simply has bigger battery. The A53 has 5000mAh battery. That will last a while. However, stand-by time, the iPhone will win. My iPhone 7+ with its piss poor battery life can last forever on stand-by, longer than any Android phones I have ever had.
FaceID vs optical fingerprint scanner: up to your personal preference. Some people just don't like FaceID. When it works, FaceID is so much better than optical fingerprint scanner. These scanners are slow and accuracy is not up to snuff, even compared to capacitive TouchID. But some people prefers that over FaceID. Your choice.

Both phones don't have headphone jack.

Do you need 5G? If so, the A53 is the obvious choice.

Another consideration, do you have any other Apple products like Macs, and do you use Apple services like iCloud? If you do, the iPhone will give you better user experience through the ecosystem integration. If not, or you're using Google/Microsoft services, then the Galaxy is fine as well.
Thank you for the detailed response!
No other Apple products. I don’t have to have 5G.. but, it’s something I’ve wondered if I should only be looking at 5G phones (future / benefits). Not sure. The display was a draw towards the A53.

iOS usage is just very fluid and glitch free in navigation (generally). I don’t experience any jitter like I do in many android phones. The other benefits, wireless charging and build quality.

ryankul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2014
Michigan
Just to add: If you like to game, get the iPhone. The iPhone 11 has the A13, an actual flagship chip from 2019. It will run games much better than any mid-range SoC Snapdragon/Exynos.
Hmm.. good to know. I may want to play some games periodically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.