Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhone 11 OR iPhone SE + iPad Mini 5

• Total voters

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Okay, I'm still on the 7 plus (now on its second battery) and I still can't use any of Apples OLED phones due to PWM (If I could I'd have an 11 Pro Max in a heartbeat). My 7 plus is feeling slow, constantly drops wifi and its looking a little tatty. I'm more than ready for a change.

I'm no fan of the lower resolution on the iphone 11, I can see the difference from my 1080p Plus especially on text. But with the no show for the SE Plus, Apple has made it clear to me that I have to compromise.

So my considered options are now:
1. Iphone 11
2. Iphone SE and an ipad Mini 5
3. Wait some more.....?

I do all of my mobile computing, while away from the desktop, on my iPhone 7 plus. So the 11 could be a direct replacement.

The SE (Gen 2) option would be my mobile, light in the pocket device, and the ipad mini 5 could do the heavier surfing when at home due to larger display.

The refurb store quickly had the 8 plus inventory depleted with its price drop so that's not an option.

What do you think? I'm not really loving my options but needs must. Hoping to talk it out again. Thanks all.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
How much at home surfing do you do? I ask because the SE/ipad route makes since if you could not get through a day using the 11 only route. I always thought the phone/iPad route made a lot of sense, but I never actually use my phone to the point where I can't get through a day/night so I end up using my phone all day.

Why use two devices if one can do the trick?

Reactions: jimmy_uk

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 19, 2015
UK
How much at home surfing do you do? I ask because the SE/ipad route makes since if you could not get through a day using the 11 only route. I always thought the phone/iPad route made a lot of sense, but I never actually use my phone to the point where I can't get through a day/night so I end up using my phone all day.

I'm on my phone alot so a one device option would almost be best as it's what I currently do. I do have to charge early evening though. But there are times I miss an ipad though, and the Mini 5 is such a nice little device. As mentioned if I could use the 11 Pro Max then that would be the one and only due to screen size, battery life and great speakers, it would make the mini redundant. But alas that's not an option (which is part of the problem fuelling my indecisiveness).

I didn't warm to the 11 due to the lower resolution and narrower screen though, it made me love my 7 plus more because of the wider keyboard, wider youtube video etc. But that's the past. Both the SE and 11 have the lower res so this is why it's a toss up. An iphone and ipad option makes me feel like I'm getting more for my money as I didn't love the 11. But on paper the 11 is the better device......

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I'm on my phone alot so a one device option would almost be best as it's what I currently do. I do have to charge early evening though. But there are times I miss an ipad though, and the Mini 5 is such a nice little device. As mentioned if I could use the 11 Pro Max then that would be the one and only due to screen size, battery life and great speakers, it would make the mini redundant. But alas that's not an option (which is part of the problem fuelling my indecisiveness).

I didn't warm to the 11 due to the lower resolution and narrower screen though, it made me love my 7 plus more because of the wider keyboard, wider youtube video etc. But that's the past. Both the SE and 11 have the lower res so this is why it's a toss up. An iphone and ipad option makes me feel like I'm getting more for my money as I didn't love the 11. But on paper the 11 is the better device......

Do the SE/Mini. I feel like you won't be happy with the 11 only from a media consumption standpoint. With the way your phone can sync with the mini, it will almost be like a giant phone (messages, wifi calling, etc). Outside of LTE (unless you went that route), the mini could support all of your phone features too.

I'm so minimalistic that I plan on getting the cellular Apple Watch and not even bringing my phone most of the times I go out. Give me a virtual Driver License and I wouldn't even bring a wallet.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Definitely go for the Iphone SE and ipad Mini 5 combo. Im doing the same except with my Ipad Air 3 instead. These newer A12 based ipads are just stunning devices in their own right and work well in conjunction with a smaller iphone.

Last edited:

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
We're both in the same boat / intolerance to apple's flickering OLED screens.
Your right to flee the 7 series. They're time bombs. And you're right that there aren't many options.
But there is one - and only one: The best condition iPhone 8 Plus you can find.

The latest iPad mini -seems- compelling, but it too has a lower resolution screen (like the 2020 SE, 11, XR, 7, 8). Lower resolutions (326 ppi) are fine for laptops because they're viewed from farther away, but the iPad mini is held in your hand the exact same distance as an iPhone. So if a 11, XR, 7, 8 kinda bugs you cuz of lack of sharpness, (compared to a Plus iPhone) the iPad mini will too.

I have a 7 and a 8 and a 6 Plus (and older phones). Guess what iPhone I use 99.8% of the time?
Yep, my trusty iPhone 6 Plus (on iOS 9).

Every time I use my 8 (326 ppi) for a while on a website (that doesn't work with iOS 9) I get eye strain every time. Even with larger fonts.
I don't have perfect near near vision at all but the low res (326 ppi) LCD screens on iPhones give me eye strain every time.
Zero eye strain on my 6 Plus

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
How much is an 8+ in your area after you factor in how much you could sell the 7+ for? I’m in the same boat as you in terms of oled, but I also had the same issues with my iPhone 11. People replied that it must be the low resolution, but my legit 720p Moto G7 power (nearly identical dimensions to the 11) never gave me a problem, even with lower resolution.

The thing is, the new SE is a small phone. The 11 is definitely a bit more narrow than the 7+, but it’s more workable for people used to a plus phone. Here’s what I would do in your position:

Sell 7+ for ~ $250 (what they go for on swappa in good shape. Not sure how much they go for in the uk). Spend the extra money for an 8+ (hopefully under $200) and then maybe get an iPad also. Or just keep the 7+ and get the iPad to hold you over until the fall to see if the se plus is actually a thing. If you have an Apple store nearby, maybe try and 11 and know you can return it within 2 weeks. I just don’t see how you could be happy with an se due to the size.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Thanks for all the replies.

Cost isn't an issue, if I could use Apples OLED I'd gladly splurge on a 11 Pro Max and I'd probably keep the 7 plus as a backup.

While I'm not a fan of the SE gen 2 per say as it's a smaller device and has lower res screen than a Plus iphone, I currently use my iPhone like a tablet. So I was thinking the SE could just be a mobile communication device (occasional email, out and about light surfing) with the latest chipset and LCD for a cheap price (this makes it appealing + the all black model), and an ipad mini could be my content consumption device thus retiring my ageing and glitchy 7 plus. Yes I couldn't use the SE like I do my 7 plus because it's a little small.

I have test driven an 11 but didn't like it at the time compared to my 7 plus due to the lower resolution and narrower display. But I was looking at the 11 as being a do everything direct replacement to my current phone but it didn't wow me and so I got cold feet (and I was sulking because I wanted the Pro Max also Apple seem to always supply me their glass sandwich designed iPhones with rough or raised edges).

I was hoping I could get through another year until the 12 series. When rumours of an SE Plus started to appear in a few places I was very hopeful it could be the one. Now I'm doubtful we'll see it at all.

I wish I'd jumped on the refurbished 8 plus 256gb when the priced dropped to just over £500 with Apple at the announcement of the new SE. But other people had the same idea and cleared the stock. I don't like buying used or refurbished from other retailers as I don't trust them from experience. Not seeing any price drops of new stock that match the Apple refurbished price.

As my options have shrunk I have to consider that my want for 1080p or more is not an option or reality right now - so this thread is were I'm at.

I even considered a Note 10 plus yesterday as Samsung had a flash sale at around £680. No idea if I could deal with Samsungs OLED but some people report they're ok with the PWM on these devices, just not Apples weird configuration/adjustments of Samsungs supplied screens.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
We're both in the same boat / intolerance to apple's flickering OLED screens.
Your right to flee the 7 series. They're time bombs. And you're right that there aren't many options.
But there is one - and only one: The best condition iPhone 8 Plus you can find.

The latest iPad mini -seems- compelling, but it too has a lower resolution screen (like the 2020 SE, 11, XR, 7, 8). Lower resolutions (326 ppi) are fine for laptops because they're viewed from farther away, but the iPad mini is held in your hand the exact same distance as an iPhone. So if a 11, XR, 7, 8 kinda bugs you cuz of lack of sharpness, (compared to a Plus iPhone) the iPad mini will too.

I have a 7 and a 8 and a 6 Plus (and older phones). Guess what iPhone I use 99.8% of the time?
Yep, my trusty iPhone 6 Plus (on iOS 9).

Every time I use my 8 (326 ppi) for a while on a website (that doesn't work with iOS 9) I get eye strain every time. Even with larger fonts.
I don't have perfect near near vision at all but the low res (326 ppi) LCD screens on iPhones give me eye strain every time.
Zero eye strain on my 6 Plus
Although the ipad mini is 326ppi, it is actually the highest ppi on any of apples ipads or macbooks, so is actually the sharpest of apples non-iphone mobile devices. For content consumption it is perfect.

breezyf808

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
Yes I think the bundle would be an excellent option.
If I had a lot of time to decide between my iPhone pro max and the regular 11. I think I would have bought the 11 and gotten myself an 9.7 iPad for the price of the pro max, but wife had an amazing offer with the buy one get one deal on our pro’s so she didn’t want to pass it up.
However I did have migraines/eye problems for the first 10 days and eventually it went away as I believe my body adjusted to the OLED screen. I had an iPhone 6s and never owned any OLED screen electronics before this.
Overall, if you have an Apple TV or console/system to surf on tv aka bigger screen than it’s better off buying a pro/pro max.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
I was going the "one device" route from school to freshman year in my college. That was the best choice back then, because i couldn't afford having multiple devices. When you have more money, you can invest in a electronics, so that it would be cheaper in the long run.
And after that, i bought mirrorless Sony camera with fisheye, wide, ultrawide, portrait and telephoto(i can shoot clearly the moon) lenses. That was 8 years ago.
And since then, i have no reason or desire to buy Iphone XS/11 Pro line, because that is mainly about camera.
Using multiple devices for different purposes is a good thing. So for 8 years, I am saving on a phone upgrade, because no phone can beat the real camera. It won't have a bigger screen than a tablet does.
====================
It is so true about the cars.
Small car is very efficient in the big city. Buying small SUV - eats more gas, no off road capabilities.
BMW X5 - like sporty SUV, but you can buy cheaper and better sedan and it will do the job better. No good off roading for BMW, cause wrangler gets the job done.
So it is all about compromises. It is better to have different cars for different purposes. But if money is tight, then the best way to go with universal all in one solution, which suits best for your needs.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
I have the latest iPad mini and absolutely love it, also pre-ordered the SE, but currently have 4.7” iPhone.

I had a 7+ at one point and it’s big in my pocket, prefer the smaller size. I use the iPad mini for most of my browsing and other uses at home, but, it’s size is great for portability if you want to take it with you. The 7+ wasn’t big enough to replace an iPad for me, but too big in my pocket, the smaller one is just fine for everything I use it for, from Maps and music on the road, to text and keeping up with things, but iPad Mini is my go to at home. Plus I can put my iPhone in pocket and listen to music or podcasts with headphones while doing projects, and still use iPad for everything else, if I want, (like I am doing now).

>> SE plus? Not so sure about that, Apple would have released both at the same time, I wouldn’t wait with baited breath.

breezyf808

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
...and just when you think you have it all figured out; gas is $1.80 a gallon but you can't drive anywhere! 😉
Damn!! well consider yourself lucky because where I live it’s $3.49/gal and possibly raising each week.
Also I’m considered an essential, so I go to work four days a week; on top of that, no raise/hazard pay for me neither😔👎🏽

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 5105973

Josieb1

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2013
London
I currently have an IPad Mini/iPad Air and an iPhone 6S Plus. I moving my phone to the SE 2020 as I spend 80% of my time on my iPads. I think an iPhone for out and an iPad for home is the best combination.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Damn!! well consider yourself lucky because where I live it’s $3.49/gal and possibly raising each week.
Also I’m considered and essential, so I go to work four days a week; on top of that, no raise/hazard pay for me neither???
Republic of Kalifornia? Gotta pay the piper (been there done that)... Consider yourself hosed. :(

$1.39/gal Walmart in sunny Florida and to be honest no reduction in my driving either. :cool:

49794546586_649b75be95_z.jpg

Tom

Last edited:

breezyf808

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
[automerge]1587338846[/automerge]
Republic of Kalifornia? Gotta pay the piper (been there done that)... Consider yourself hosed. :(

$1.39/gal Walmart in sunny Florida and to be honest no reduction in my driving either. :cool:

49794546586_649b75be95_z.jpg

Tom
Hahaa it is what it is.. just be safe and stay safe👍🏽👍🏽

Reactions: 5105973 and TPadden

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Aaaannd... Best Buy has the iPad mini on sale starting at $330 for 64GB, lowest price, or $100 off 256GB... I got mine when they first went on sale for $350.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.