Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pika2000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
Apple announced the iPhone 11 at a lower starting price than the XR last year, at $699 USD. This positioned the 11 closer to high-end-mid-range position. Sounds like a good deal, right?
But that's not the whole story outside the US.

In Singapore, the 64GB iPhone 11 is priced at SGD $1149. That's equivalent to roughly USD $835. Even if you were a tourist and took out the full GST from it, it's still at SGD $1069, which is equivalent to roughly USD $775. That's still HIGHER than even the launch price of the XR last year!! And I'm using Singapore as an example because the country is a free port and open economy, and don't apply tariffs like other countries. Yet the price discrepancy with the original US prices are quite huge.

Apple tends to mark up their prices in countries with highly fluctuating currency, but Singapore dollar is quite stable.

Hong Kong, another free port country, their prices are not any better.

TBH, I'm getting annoyed with this. Sure, the Apple brand carries certain premium, but that premium doesn't simply inflate itself when it goes out from the US. I cannot imagine the prices in countries that put heavy tariffs on imports. The iPhone XR were priced at around $1000 USD in some markets, which is quite hilarious. It's no wonder Apple is losing grip against Samsung in Asia (and even Samsung is having a hard time already). With many of Apple's services are not even available in many Asian countries, Apple literally only uses its brand as the markup. The "ecosystem" advantage is not fully realized.

Interested to hear what others think, especially those from countries with similar situations like UK/EU countries. I can understand a slight premium due to tariffs, etc, but when there shouldn't be one, the huge discrepancy in price is really highly questionable.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
Hello there

I am in the situation of looking for a new iPhone to replace my 6S and based in SG. It seems that Singapore prices have been aligned to European prices since a few years. It is still 7 to 10% cheaper than European prices but on Mac hardware the difference is higher (10 to 15%?).

I was very surprised to see many people in the MRT or in the street with iPhone XS, looks like Apple is very popular here and people seems to have higher purchasing power than US/EU, I would say.

I believe that explains what you are describing.

pika2000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
Hello there

I am in the situation of looking for a new iPhone to replace my 6S and based in SG. It seems that Singapore prices have been aligned to European prices since a few years. It is still 7 to 10% cheaper than European prices but on Mac hardware the difference is higher (10 to 15%?).

I was very surprised to see many people in the MRT or in the street with iPhone XS, looks like Apple is very popular here and people seems to have higher purchasing power than US/EU, I would say.

I believe that explains what you are describing.
Believe it or not, iPhones used to be even more popular in Singapore. In the days of the iPhone 4/4S, Singapore was literally an iPhone country where majority uses iPhones. But Apple back then put too much focus on China and disregard SE Asia (ie not entering the market fully with its Apple retail store). Samsung quickly took the market share. There are still many iPhone users in Singapore today, but not as many as before.

I tend to think that the "purchasing power" in Singapore for iPhones are due to the scalpers from China/Indonesia. iPhones prices in those countries are even higher than Singapore's, so plenty of tourists/resellers buy their iPhones/inventory from Singapore.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
I see, I moved recently so I was not aware of that.

What country is the cheapest nowadays to buy iPhone?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Apple pricing seems to be based on local competitive offerings.

Example: In China, the iPhone 11 retails for 5,499 RMB ($773) but that includes the 13% VAT. Once you take away the VAT, the price is $684.

Example: In Germany, where Huawei penetration is high, iPhone 11 retails for 799 EUR ($882). One you take away the VAT, the price is $735.

KrisYYC

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2017
In Canada the iPhone 11 is $50 CAD cheaper than the XR was at launch last year ($979 CAD vs $1029 CAD) however that is still more expensive than $699 USD at today's exchange rate.

The iPhone 11 Pro and Pro Max are launching at the exact same prices as the XS and XS Max were launched last year.

So Canadians are basically in the same boat as Americans.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
I was comparing prices between SG & EU and surprisingly it's 12,2% cheaper for Xr but only 6,6% cheaper for iPhone Pro (64 GB).

Last edited:

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
In Finland the iPhone 11 does seem to cost 50€ less than the XR did when it launched.

Well, that’s a nice exception to the rule established in the last few years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.