Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Avinash Kumar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2017
I am planning to buy a used mobile (iPhone 11 pro 64 gb) from an unknown person. The mobile is 1.5 yrs old but in very clean and neat condition. The only issue is that the battery Health is not showing. He claims that the phone battery health had reached 79% few months ago and that he had replaced the battery from a non authorised dealer for a cheaper price.

It has been few months with this duplicate battery but he says that the battery is really good and it lasts long. Even the fast charging works.

Can you guys please advice if I can buy this mobile? Will it cause any other issues in the future? I am also planning to replace it with original battery from an authorised dealer which looks like a better deal for me.

Hope this works out?

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Well some 3rd party batteries don’t show the info. Thats not a big deal and you can always as you said replace it. But you can’t say if the water seals are in place and working.

but that the phone is just 1,5 years old i doubt it. If it really would have reached 79% a few months ago that would be in the warranty period and Apple would have replaced it for free

Reactions: akash.nu

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I am planning to buy a used mobile (iPhone 11 pro 64 gb) from an unknown person. The mobile is 1.5 yrs old but in very clean and neat condition. The only issue is that the battery Health is not showing. He claims that the phone battery health had reached 79% few months ago and that he had replaced the battery from a non authorised dealer for a cheaper price.

It has been few months with this duplicate battery but he says that the battery is really good and it lasts long. Even the fast charging works.

Can you guys please advice if I can buy this mobile? Will it cause any other issues in the future? I am also planning to replace it with original battery from an authorised dealer which looks like a better deal for me.

Hope this works out?

I would avoid it, you do not know where that battery comes from, you do not want to land up with a phone exploding as Apple would wash their hands clean of it due to the 3rd party battery. You simply do not know what’s going on in that phone at this point.

Have you checked if the FaceID is working and that the phone is not blacklisted?

Avinash Kumar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2017
I would avoid it, you do not know where that battery comes from, you do not want to land up with a phone exploding as Apple would wash their hands clean of it due to the 3rd party battery. You simply do not know what’s going on in that phone at this point.

Have you checked if the FaceID is working and that the phone is not blacklisted?
Hey, thanks for the input. BTW how do I check if the phone is blasklisted?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.