Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goodquestionmma

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2014
I’ve had the 11 pro for two months. Had a 6s before. It’s an improvement but the photos just seem really lacklustre compared to the advertisements and hype. Always have a bit of grain even in good lighting inside. Never use digital zoom. What are other people’s views?

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I like the Night Mode, Portrait Mode, Wide Angle and Telephoto lens much better than the 6s has.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Not sure how you look at your photos. I have a 6s, and even my friend’s XR already produces better photos with much better dynamic range than it thanks to smart HDR and better colors. The 11 series are upping the notch with night mode.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
That all depends on what type of shooter you are. Are you the type that simply points the camera, shoots, & does not evaluate the scene before shooting and not process the photo after it is taken..... OR, are you the type of shooter / photographer that touches the screen precisely where you want the camera to focus and then adjust the exposure to control highlights and shadows, then process the photo to end up with a great photo? A great photograph really depends on how good of a photographer you are. The camera is just a tool, the photographer uses that tool to create a photograph.

I think the 11 pro / max is a fantastic camera and I’ve gotten many wonderful images from it. As a photographer, Ive taught myself to see how the camera sees and I usually adjust my camera based on the scene I’m about to capture. So to answer your question, yeah the camera is great and the hype is real. All of the photos you see advertised on apple’s website were taken by professionals, not amateurs.

Txguy82

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2016
I’ve had the 11 pro for two months. Had a 6s before. It’s an improvement but the photos just seem really lacklustre compared to the advertisements and hype. Always have a bit of grain even in good lighting inside. Never use digital zoom. What are other people’s views?

It’s a major improvement from the 6s. Not even close

Apple has really stepped it’s game up in the camera dept starting with the XS last year

Txguy82

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2016
Small and handy tip, easy to forget - really wipe the camera lens clean before you shoot for the most optimum results. It’s very easy to get fingerprints and other smudges on the lens.

I don’t u/s how people take and post horrible pictures on FB and Instagram with a dirty camera lens lol

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I’ve had the 11 pro for two months. Had a 6s before. It’s an improvement but the photos just seem really lacklustre compared to the advertisements and hype. Always have a bit of grain even in good lighting inside. Never use digital zoom. What are other peop
I went from a 6S to X and the difference was huge. The 6S doesn't even have optical image stabilization.. The 11 Pro is a big upgrade compared to the X so I'd say I'm surprised with your assessment. The 6S is one of my favorite phones but, it's 4 year old technology.

Reactions: Txguy82

goodquestionmma

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2014
I went from a 6S to X and the difference was huge. The 6S doesn't even have optical image stabilization.. The 11 Pro is a big upgrade compared to the X so I'd say I'm surprised with your assessment. The 6S is one of my favorite phones but, it's 4 year old technology.
I really wish I hadn't mentioned my 6s now... It is obviously better! What surprises me is just how much noise / grain I get even on indoor well lit photos...

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
I didn’t see much improvement either, over an Xs max. Likely the photos are improved (11 pro) but to my untrained eye they are much of the same as my max. I guess having a night mode would be a bonus but I barely use the camera as is, and probably never would in the dark. I hate photos, hate anyone asking me to take photos. Memories are overrated ? especially other folks memories. ? I’m secure in my misery btw..

Having said that, My GF loves her 11 pro, not for its camera in particular. She is just loving the iOS experience in general, having been an android user for past 5 years

Reactions: Txguy82

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
You must have a dud as it’s maybe the best camera on a smartphone

Nightrhyme

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2019
I upgraded from 6s to 11pro. I really like the wide lens and the telephoto is ok too but kind of useless. I really like the idea of the ultrawide lens. But I am a little unimpressed by The quality. I Actually considered if it might me defective. But I find it unlikely.

Took 3 pictures from the same spot: ultrawide, wide and telephoto.
Imgur uploaded photos

Attachments

• D3B295F2-AA3A-4022-89B6-B97D9308EE93.jpeg
    D3B295F2-AA3A-4022-89B6-B97D9308EE93.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 310
  • 612C67DC-8210-4F39-9CA3-B67359D0D85D.jpeg
    612C67DC-8210-4F39-9CA3-B67359D0D85D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 340
  • 47D3E4EB-8509-4B64-8099-656869C2FA82.jpeg
    47D3E4EB-8509-4B64-8099-656869C2FA82.jpeg
    779.5 KB · Views: 336

TimothyL

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2019
I’m very impressed with my iPhone 11 camera coming from the X. Not that the X is bad by any stretch of imagination, I think the new ones take great sharp pictures.
3ffb472feb8e4fc43a45c9f1702ef6ea.jpg

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I upgraded from 6s to 11pro. I really like the wide lens and the telephoto is ok too but kind of useless. I really like the idea of the ultrawide lens. But I am a little unimpressed by The quality. I Actually considered if it might me defective. But I find it unlikely.

Imgur uploaded photos
I’m not sure why you would consider the telephoto useless, that’s equivalent to a 50 mm on a full frame digital SLR. The telephoto is used a lot on my iPhone 11 Pro Max. I don’t use it as much in portrait mode as I do the one X camera in portrait mode, that gives me a more pleasing image and overall feel. As for the Ultra Wide, yeah it doesn’t look great when the ISO gets above 800. During the day though under bright sunny light conditions it’s quite amazing for a wide angle that small. However there are some workarounds when using it at night, for example I use the app called NightCap and I set it to long exposure mode and it captures multiple frames and stacks them together to give you a better quality image but does not overexpose no matter how many seconds or minutes you expose for. From there I can totally sharpen it and get a very usable image and low light but it has to be on a tripod that’s the only thing. If you’re interested in NightCap check it out because it’s a very cool app to have. You can do star trails with it you can Do you long exposures during the day to blur water like on a waterfall etc.

I believe I posted some comparisons using NightCap versus not using NightCap in the pictures taken by the 11 Pro thread, anyway I can offer my help to you as much as possible, I am a photographer and if you do you have any questions I’ll be glad to help. Otherwise enjoy your new phone.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area

I upgraded from a Xs Max to a Pro Max and it Was a good upgrade in photo quality.

Nightrhyme

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2019
I’m not sure why you would consider the telephoto useless, that’s equivalent to a 50 mm on a full frame digital SLR. The telephoto is used a lot on my iPhone 11 Pro Max. I don’t use it as much in portrait mode as I do the one X camera in portrait mode, that gives me a more pleasing image and overall feel. As for the Ultra Wide, yeah it doesn’t look great when the ISO gets above 800. During the day though under bright sunny light conditions it’s quite amazing for a wide angle that small. However there are some workarounds when using it at night, for example I use the app called NightCap and I set it to long exposure mode and it captures multiple frames and stacks them together to give you a better quality image but does not overexpose no matter how many seconds or minutes you expose for. From there I can totally sharpen it and get a very usable image and low light but it has to be on a tripod that’s the only thing. If you’re interested in NightCap check it out because it’s a very cool app to have. You can do star trails with it you can Do you long exposures during the day to blur water like on a waterfall etc.

I believe I posted some comparisons using NightCap versus not using NightCap in the pictures taken by the 11 Pro thread, anyway I can offer my help to you as much as possible, I am a photographer and if you do you have any questions I’ll be glad to help. Otherwise enjoy your new phone.

Thank you so much for your detailed reply.

Maybe I shouldn't have phrased it "useless" I just find the ultrawide much more usefull in everyday use. I constantly need it and just wish apple would have focused more on making it as good as the other 2 lenses.

I did managed to take a rather good pic with the ultrawide when the light was good. But in medium light everything becomes blurry. See 2 attached shots.
Adding OIS and pixelfocus and nightmode to the ultrawide would have been lovely.

I will check out NightCap...

Attachments

• IMG_9614.JPG
    IMG_9614.JPG
    535.2 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_9643.JPG
    IMG_9643.JPG
    475.1 KB · Views: 274

fred98tj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2017
Central Luzon, Philippines

Imgur uploaded photos

Both the “tele” and “ultrawide” have a lot of chromatic fringing

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Thank you so much for your detailed reply.

Maybe I shouldn't have phrased it "useless" I just find the ultrawide much more usefull in everyday use. I constantly need it and just wish apple would have focused more on making it as good as the other 2 lenses.

I did managed to take a rather good pic with the ultrawide when the light was good. But in medium light everything becomes blurry. See 2 attached shots.
Adding OIS and pixelfocus and nightmode to the ultrawide would have been lovely.

I will check out NightCap...
It’s hard to tell the quality of the wide shots on this thread, but here is one of mine as I was close to a tree. Not sure if it will look good posts here or not. But on my iPad and iPhone, it looks really good
5DC24AAD-4B02-4285-9B2A-4BC9D4A125D3.jpeg

goodquestionmma

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2014
To all people here, what makes the biggest difference by a long stretch is a clean lens. A lesson that has served me well and rendered my previous complaint without merit.

Reactions: ToddH
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.