Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesbond911

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2021
Hiya people..

Thought to check with the experts. I have an iPhone 11 Pro, I went to an outdoor workout class; phone was in the bag and not sure if someone accidently hit the bag but the phone screen alongwith the charging port (I couldnt even charge the phone so bought a wireless charger) + case is damaged. Phone doesn't have any insurance and I bought it a year + 3/4 months ago so don't think has warranty either? Took to some local repair shops (ubreakifix) and they suggested repairs in excess of $700. Do you think if I talked to the wireless carrier or apple directly might be some help? Any recommendations would be highly appreciated.

Cheers
James

Attachments

• IMG_4900.jpg
    IMG_4900.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 8,477
  • Wow
Reactions: LFC2020

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
If you didn't opt for Apple Care + when you purchased the phone, then it's out of warranty. Your wireless carrier will have no sympathy for your dilemma and will likely try to sell you a new phone.

I personally don't think it's worth $700 + to repair the phone. But that's up to you. If it were me, I would just bite the bullet and buy a new phone.

jamesbond911

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2021
Thank you people for the replies - much appreciate it.

@LFC2020: $700 US estimate by the local repair shop is not just screen repair; it is screen repair + new charging port + swapping out the aluminum case and using 3rd party products to fix to "recreate" a new phone of some sorts :(

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Thank you people for the replies - much appreciate it.

@LFC2020: $700 US estimate by the local repair shop is not just screen repair; it is screen repair + new charging port + swapping out the aluminum case and using 3rd party products to fix to "recreate" a new phone of some sorts :(
Go directly to apple, don’t waste your time with these third party repairers, most likely make your phone even worse than before.

Apple will most likely replace the whole phone for a fee, most likely be cheaper than $700, I’d give them a call.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Hiya people..

Thought to check with the experts. I have an iPhone 11 Pro, I went to an outdoor workout class; phone was in the bag and not sure if someone accidently hit the bag but the phone screen alongwith the charging port (I couldnt even charge the phone so bought a wireless charger) + case is damaged. Phone doesn't have any insurance and I bought it a year + 3/4 months ago so don't think has warranty either? Took to some local repair shops (ubreakifix) and they suggested repairs in excess of $700. Do you think if I talked to the wireless carrier or apple directly might be some help? Any recommendations would be highly appreciated.

Cheers
James
Apple will do an out if warranty replacement phone for $550 US dollars...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.