Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

braeburnbliss

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2015
Has anyone had issues with brightness? My iPhone 11 Pro Max has started to drop the “max brightness” randomly. Right now I’m on max but the brightness is only at 50%. I restarted to fix it but it happened again.

Is this a known issue or something I’m missing?

True Tone is off and I use the brightness slider manually.

simplynando

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2016
Las Vegas, Nevada
Has anyone had issues with brightness? My iPhone 11 Pro Max has started to drop the “max brightness” randomly. Right now I’m on max but the brightness is only at 50%. I restarted to fix it but it happened again.

How is the tempature where you're at when this happens? I know when the iPhone gets hot the phone automatically turns brightness down to 50% then returns to normal once it cools down.

braeburnbliss

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2015
How is the tempature where you're at when this happens? I know when the iPhone gets hot the phone automatically turns brightness down to 50% then returns to normal once it cools down.

I think this makes sense. The phone did seem warm when it happened. I wasn’t in a hot place or anything, so it’s still a little strange, but I think that was it. Thanks!

simplynando

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2016
Las Vegas, Nevada
I think this makes sense. The phone did seem warm when it happened. I wasn’t in a hot place or anything, so it’s still a little strange, but I think that was it. Thanks!

If the phone was warm then that's likely the cause. I've made sure to disable Auto Brightness in Settings > Accessibility > Display & Text Size > Auto-Brightness set to OFF and my phone would sometimes still go down to 50% brightness even though the slider in Control Center was set to max brightness. It took some looking into before I found out that it was related to temp. Once the phone cools off it'll go up to 75% brightness then back up to full brightness once it's safe.

I live in Las Vegas so it would happen to me pretty much every time I went outside and I would use my phone for a little bit. I've noticed it also happens when I work the phone pretty heavily and it begins to warm up.

sammjordan

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2009

I was having issues with screen brightness on my 11 Pro Max soon after delivery, to the point where the phone would say it was at 100% brightness, but the screen was completely dim. After calling Apple support, I ended up having to backup, do a clean install on iTunes, and then restore the phone. Fixed the problem, but frustrating

Sugar Tits♡♥♡

macrumors newbie
I am having brightness dimming issues on my 11 pro Max. Tried everything. I CAN make it go bright to where it should be by, and get this, taking my hand and covering the top of the phone.

Gets brighter instantly! Move my hand and it goes back to being dim.

So unacceptable.

Now I’m going to get a new replacement since no one can help me?

Laura1122

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2020
I am having brightness dimming issues on my 11 pro Max. Tried everything. I CAN make it go bright to where it should be by, and get this, taking my hand and covering the top of the phone.

So unacceptable.

I am really over
this problem. I switched from a cheap really cheap android to this phone. So $1200 later, Because I want to good camera. The camera is not that great, not as good as they say. But my problem is the whole dimming situation. I can be outside with my cheap android phone and it will stay bright! with the iPhone 11 promax (as they call it) the screen starts dimming in no time. Does it have something to do with the temperature outside? I don’t think so because I live in New Jersey and the temperature is only in the 50s. So what is going to happen in the summer when it’s 90•I would love to be able to take pictures when we open the pool up all the family etc. But what’s going to happen? I can’t take pictures? This totally totally sucks. I’m probably going to return the phone. I have turned down everything that everybody has suggested and all of that. When it dims I can’t hardly even see the screen. Totally disappointed, guess this is why I never went with apple and always stayed with Android

vaadu

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2020
If the phone was warm then that's likely the cause. I've made sure to disable Auto Brightness in Settings > Accessibility > Display & Text Size > Auto-Brightness set to OFF and my phone would sometimes still go down to 50% brightness even though the slider in Control Center was set to max brightness. It took some looking into before I found out that it was related to temp. Once the phone cools off it'll go up to 75% brightness then back up to full brightness once it's safe.

I live in Las Vegas so it would happen to me pretty much every time I went outside and I would use my phone for a little bit. I've noticed it also happens when I work the phone pretty heavily and it begins to warm up.

Ok this is good news even though its not. Noticed also screen dimming with my 11 Pro max but thought I was imagine things.

Did this and turned the auto-brightness off -> much brighter now thx

Laura1122

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2020
Yes I did auto brightness, plus True Tone, everything, then did a reset which pissed me off, besides having to reset things, again at $1200 I shouldn’t have to do anything! It’s 63 outside, overcast, been outside 10 minutes and already happening. So very disappointed, I never buy expensive things for myself, now I know why. Thanks apple!

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
My sisters iPhone 8 max did this a couple of times. I tried several things to bring it back but nothing worked. It was so dark that it really couldn’t really use it or see anything. Therefore it made it almost impossible to do anything to correct it. Finally in desperation I had her just tell Siri to turn up the brightness, and it worked.

Laura1122

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2020
I’ve been seeing quite a few post where people says as long as it does not shut off or report it’s being overheated it’s normal. I don’t think so! It’s a $1200 phone that dims so badly I can’t even use it. The brightness does go back up eventually. But if I’m outside trying to take pictures I should not have to wait for it to brighten back up. I don’t know when the iPhone 11 max pro came out but I’m seeing posts from back in October and apparently Apple does not think it’s an issue or has not been resolved. I’ve done everything possible to try to fix it nothing works. I will pay this piece of crap off and go back to my Samsung which I should’ve stuck with. If anybody comes up with a solution please post it. I’ve done everything even when I tell Siri to turn up the brightness she tells me it’s up as high as it will go I have reset it which is a pain in the butt, turned everything down, and brightness up there’s nothing left.

ms7u

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2009
NY
I’ve been seeing quite a few post where people says as long as it does not shut off or report it’s being overheated it’s normal. I don’t think so! It’s a $1200 phone that dims so badly I can’t even use it. The brightness does go back up eventually. But if I’m outside trying to take pictures I should not have to wait for it to brighten back up. I don’t know when the iPhone 11 max pro came out but I’m seeing posts from back in October and apparently Apple does not think it’s an issue or has not been resolved. I’ve done everything possible to try to fix it nothing works. I will pay this piece of crap off and go back to my Samsung which I should’ve stuck with. If anybody comes up with a solution please post it. I’ve done everything even when I tell Siri to turn up the brightness she tells me it’s up as high as it will go I have reset it which is a pain in the butt, turned everything down, and brightness up there’s nothing left.
Make sure that the Auto-Brightness flag in Accessibility is turned off. Apologies if you already tried this.

Mike Brinkman

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2020
I was finding the same issue. I determined the issue to be a filter in the settings for ZOOM. Settings -> Accessibility -> Zoom -> Zoom Filter check none.

Reactions: vlammy

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

So unacceptable.

Not sure if this is sarcasm. However if not the brightness sensor is at the top. Covering it tells the phone its in a dark area so it dims the screen accordingly, uncovering the sensor causes it to see ambient light and brighten back up. That is the auto brightness setting. Night shift can also effect brightness.

The phone getting too warm can dim the screen too. Say for example your iPhone was sitting in the sun. Since the screen can be the most significant source of energy draw reducing its brightness can conserve the battery life and its overall health.

Rai Nishant

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2020
I recently bought iphone 11 and it is having many problems like its sim card is not inserted when it is inserted sound came from speakers while head phones are plugged in does everyone have this kind of issues or am i the unlucky one?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.