Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
EU
Long story short, my iPhone 13 Pro was stolen. I wanted to buy 15 Pro this year, because of USB-C and hope for more than USB 2.0 transfer speeds to SSD, so I didn't want to buy anything fancy in the transition period.

Ended up buying used, like a new 512 GB iPhone 11 Pro Max. In MIDNIGHT GREEN. My dream phone I always wanted but never had. I'd say I'm happier with it than with 13 Pro, for many reasons that may seem irrelevant to some:

It's the most "premium" feeling phone I ever held in my hands. The matte glass finish, the rounded stainless steel edges, the well balanced weight for such a size. I love how small the tripple camera setup is, how it feels on table, in your hand when naked. I love it can take normal, not overexposed HDR photos. Less AI processing is sometimes better. I love the quality of the XDR OLED screen, even though it's not high refresh. It's just so ****ing slick. In MIDNIGHT GREEN. Kinda reminds me the old Nokia days, when you bought the phone based on appearance.

Had to say I was an iPhone 8 sucker before that, and while 13 Pro was a good video camera device, a usefool tool, 11 Pro (Max) is pure love. It willl be super hard to say goodbye to it later this year, same situation I got with iPhone 8.

Also, **** phone thieves.

TL;DR: Didn't want a fancy transition period phone, got the fanciest phone ever made.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Okaaay.

As an iPhone 11 Pro Max owner, I can't say I have the same feelings. I bought my 11PM new in February 2021 when the 12PM was still being sold. I just paid it off in February 2023.

I like the design, but I do not care for the rounded edges. Makes it hard to grip and I have to exert more pressure to hold on to it. Considering that I use my phones caseless that's not a point in favor of the phone. It also still has the ugly camera bump that all iPhones have had since the 6 series. And yeah, I have the 6s+ too.

Compared to my 6s+, the 11 PM is top heavy. That is, the center of gravity for this phone seems to be north of the midpoint, making the top want to pitch down if you're holding it from the bottom. That factored into my dropping my 11PM and shattering the back glass and cracking the screen in May of 2022.

Again, it's not a bad phone, I just don't seem to be in love with it like you guys do. I will say I really do like the battery life though.

PS. My 6s+ is significantly thinner than my 11PM, and my Pixel 3a XL is lighter than both.

2023-04-04 17.36.26.jpg

And yes, that is my iPhone 5 behind them. It has flat sides - which makes it easier to hold on to.

Last edited:
Reactions: slplss

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
I had the 11 Pro Max in Midnight Green and it was spectacular. I only upgraded to the 13 PM for 5G, finally prevalent in my area. I also thought I wanted the squared off edges but it turns out the 11 PM's rounded edges were far more comfortable for one-handed use. I missed it so much I downsized to the 14 Pro and got back some one-handed usability. My wife, previously insisting her iPhone 7 was "perfectly fine" glommed onto my pristine 11 PM and now is completely smitten.

johna1234

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
So glad that I came across this thread. I have a 13 pro that I got for “free” when I switched carriers after trading in my midnight green iPhone 11 Pro. I have to say that I still miss this phone to this day. It was the most premium phone I’ve ever owned. Even though the 13 pro is a great phone, it still feels clunky with the squared edges. I’m not eligible to trade in the iPhone 13 Pro and have been considering getting a carrier refurb 11 pro again in midnight green. Am I crazy?

Apr 12, 2023
I have always said the iPhone 11 series is the best iPhones ever made. I gave mine to my father because I only had a 64gb version and it was full. So I downgraded to a new 13 256gb model. It is not nearly as nice as the 11 imo. I look hard at 11 pros all the time. But figure in a year apple are going to stop giving them updates because.....Well, I don't know why to be honest. The phone can run iOS just fine.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
So glad that I came across this thread. I have a 13 pro that I got for “free” when I switched carriers after trading in my midnight green iPhone 11 Pro. I have to say that I still miss this phone to this day. It was the most premium phone I’ve ever owned. Even though the 13 pro is a great phone, it still feels clunky with the squared edges. I’m not eligible to trade in the iPhone 13 Pro and have been considering getting a carrier refurb 11 pro again in midnight green.

Am I crazy?
I feel that people who ask the 'Am I crazy' question are seeking group validation of their feelings/choices. Or at worst, trolling.

I'm not going to give you either (validation, or labelling you as a troll). Do what you want, it's your life and unless I or anyone else is paying your bills we have no say in what you do/buy/like or feel.

Reactions: valinda

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have always said the iPhone 11 series is the best iPhones ever made. I gave mine to my father because I only had a 64gb version and it was full. So I downgraded to a new 13 256gb model. It is not nearly as nice as the 11 imo. I look hard at 11 pros all the time. But figure in a year apple are going to stop giving them updates because.....Well, I don't know why to be honest. The phone can run iOS just fine.
Wow this is an interesting spot to be in.

All the 11 series love from former 11 owners, while I, an actual iPhone 11 series owner using my 11PM as my primary phone, does not feel the same (amount) of love you guys do.

SMH!

johna1234

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
I feel that people who ask the 'Am I crazy' question are seeking group validation of their feelings/choices. Or at worst, trolling.

I'm not going to give you either (validation, or labelling you as a troll). Do what you want, it's your life and unless I or anyone else is paying your bills we have no say in what you do/buy/like or feel.
Appreciate your opinion. Definitely not trolling. I guess I’m the only one on here to ever throw out a scenario like this 🙄

Apr 12, 2023
Wow this is an interesting spot to be in.

All the 11 series love from former 11 owners, while I, an actual iPhone 11 series owner using my 11PM as my primary phone, does not feel the same (amount) of love you guys do.

SMH!
What's happening with yours? I just love the rounded design. I hope, the rumors are right and the 15 is going to be rounded again. I do want the 48mp, but I want the comfort of the rounded frame of the 11 style.

Reactions: slplss

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Appreciate your opinion. Definitely not trolling. I guess I’m the only one on here to ever throw out a scenario like this 🙄
No you aren't. Which is why I made the statement. :)

No one needs validation to do what they want, nor do you need to justify anything. If you like the 11 series iPhone, go get one. ;) Who cares what anyone else thinks. They aren't paying your bills!

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Spreading the luv for our 11 Pro Max phones, count me in - I'm still rocking mine, and really am not in a hurry to upgrade.

In fact - getting a killer upgrade deal this year is the only way I'll part with my 11PM.

Otherwise - I'll just go to Apple for a new battery, once I get to 80% (right now it's at 83%).

The 11PM features are certainly good enough to continue on; so far the 12/13/14 Lidar is the only thing that intrigues me about them. My camera still takes gorgeous photos, and the 11PM's A13 is still a killer chip that lacks very little compared to newer models.

I prefer the rounded-edge feel of the 11PM compared to the iPhone 12/13/14 lines, which surprised me - as I was always a fan of the my beloved straight-edge 4s/5s models.

We'll see ... I used to upgrade every other year, until I kept the 6S Plus for 4 years, like this 11PM.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
What's happening with yours? I just love the rounded design. I hope, the rumors are right and the 15 is going to be rounded again. I do want the 48mp, but I want the comfort of the rounded frame of the 11 style.
It's doing just fine. Technically, it's only 11 months old. I had my original (February 2021) replaced in May 2022 because I had dropped it.

As to comfort, I much prefer the square edges. If the 15 series has rounded edges my next upgrade in a few years will be the 14 series.

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
EU
So glad that I came across this thread. I have a 13 pro that I got for “free” when I switched carriers after trading in my midnight green iPhone 11 Pro. I have to say that I still miss this phone to this day. It was the most premium phone I’ve ever owned. Even though the 13 pro is a great phone, it still feels clunky with the squared edges. I’m not eligible to trade in the iPhone 13 Pro and have been considering getting a carrier refurb 11 pro again in midnight green. Am I crazy?
I craved for 11 Pro when it came, and a little less after I got the 13 Pro. Which I got purely for technical reasons, and especially for its camera. It felt like a reasonable decision. Served me well over the 1.5 years, I’ve captured some great moments during my travels in Filmic Pro, and then Beastcam. If my 13 Pro had not been stolen, there’s no way I’d ever get my hands on 11 Pro. But life is strange sometimes and made that decision to get the 11 Pro, after all, pretty easy. I should be angry, but I got over the incident pretty quickly and I’m more than happy with this almost 4 year old phone. Only shame I didn’t back up the latest footage, which is gone forever.

So while it may seem unreasonable to wilfully go from 13 Pro to 11 Pro, I say you have only 1 shot at life, so do what makes you happy. Then get the next thing that will catch your eye.

Last edited:
Reactions: phillytim

HuNay

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2023
My grandfather who has owned a Space Gray 11 Pro Max since 2020 says it’s the best. My personal Pro Max (not an 11) was definitely worse regarding the cameras/screen/battery compared to his. But then my regular 11 was also better than the 12 Pro Max, even with the no night mode on the ultra wide, worse light gathering, “inferior” speakers and display tech, etc.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I think it’s totally normal to fall in love with older phones. I feel that way about the Gold SE1 I am using to type this message.

I kinda miss that I can use this one handed with ease and have my thumb naturally reach all four corners of the screen. I even like the screen size which, contrary to most opinions, is perfectly fine for media content and web-browsing.

I’ll be sticking this thing back in its retail box tomorrow because I no longer need it for anything as my 13 has enough juice in it to last me an entire day.

I’ll miss this little guy, haha. I do have to move on with the times though!

Last edited:

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
I know it’s a 3+ year-old iPhone but pictures please! Would love to see how midnight green still pops out in 2023.

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
EU
Love my 11PM 256 in MG, to the point that I have not felt the urge to upgrade. A real workhorse. Unfortunately I don't get to appreciate or show off the MG because it's always swaddled in a case.
For this reason I bought locally made leather slide-in pouch. I just love it using it naked. Midnight Green is like a flower that blooms only at some points in a day. Most of the time, the green tint is almost imperceptible. I think that’s part of why it’s such an interesting colour.
Never used screen protectors, dropped a phone before anyway. And more and more I realize while these things are nice to have, they’re just… things. So if I can easily cope with stolen phone, I’ll regret even less dropping it on my own.
It looks like a case for one of the old Casio/Sharp/Texas Instruments calculators 😅
E9928E7E-11D7-4E57-8039-76508EE74575.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: CoMoMacUser

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
EU
I know it’s a 3+ year-old iPhone but pictures please! Would love to see how midnight green still pops out in 2023.
My puppy right after I adopted him from 2nd hand store. I know I know, I just said these things are just things 😅.
8EB01473-23AF-4084-9037-4D571FC6BD45.jpeg

… MG shines at dark (iPad camera quality though).
0CB04E84-3B6E-4BFC-9D2E-99B40160CF53.jpeg

Last edited:

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I had a Midnight Green 11 Pro Max from March 2020 to August 2022, it was a lovely device, the perfect size and weight, I also agree the rounded edges are much more “palm friendly” in terms of ergonomics.

Got a 13 Pro Max in August 2022 and have been happy with it but I can safely say it’s at the very edge of what’s bearable for a phone, I love it’s size and heft but anything more would really be pushing my limits.

The 11 Pro Max would be near perfect if it had 120Hz (or even 90Hz) screen, I’ve now become so used to 13 PM’s super smooth scrolling that when I use my mate’s 11 PM I do notice the difference.

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
EU
I had a Midnight Green 11 Pro Max from March 2020 to August 2022, it was a lovely device, the perfect size and weight, I also agree the rounded edges are much more “palm friendly” in terms of ergonomics.

Got a 13 Pro Max in August 2022 and have been happy with it but I can safely say it’s at the very edge of what’s bearable for a phone, I love it’s size and heft but anything more would really be pushing my limits.

The 11 Pro Max would be near perfect if it had 120Hz (or even 90Hz) screen, I’ve now become so used to 13 PM’s super smooth scrolling that when I use my mate’s 11 PM I do notice the difference.
For me 11 Pro Max is already at the edge of what’s comfortable in hand and pocket. Also, there’s no way I’d spend four to five times the money for the equal tier of brand new 14 Pro Max or the upcoming 15 Pro Max.
And now you mention it, this is probably the 2nd time I realized the screen is only 60hz (first time being when trying to find a con in my original post). And I’m writing this on 120hz iPad Pro 🤷‍♂️. Either I’m getting old, or it doesn’t matter that much to me as I thought it would.

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
Long story short, my iPhone 13 Pro was stolen. I wanted to buy 15 Pro this year, because of USB-C and hope for more than USB 2.0 transfer speeds to SSD, so I didn't want to buy anything fancy in the transition period.

Ended up buying used, like a new 512 GB iPhone 11 Pro Max. In MIDNIGHT GREEN. My dream phone I always wanted but never had. I'd say I'm happier with it than with 13 Pro, for many reasons that may seem irrelevant to some:

It's the most "premium" feeling phone I ever held in my hands. The matte glass finish, the rounded stainless steel edges, the well balanced weight for such a size. I love how small the tripple camera setup is, how it feels on table, in your hand when naked. I love it can take normal, not overexposed HDR photos. Less AI processing is sometimes better. I love the quality of the XDR OLED screen, even though it's not high refresh. It's just so ****ing slick. In MIDNIGHT GREEN. Kinda reminds me the old Nokia days, when you bought the phone based on appearance.

Had to say I was an iPhone 8 sucker before that, and while 13 Pro was a good video camera device, a usefool tool, 11 Pro (Max) is pure love. It willl be super hard to say goodbye to it later this year, same situation I got with iPhone 8.

Also, **** phone thieves.

TL;DR: Didn't want a fancy transition period phone, got the fanciest phone ever made.
Thats exactly what I’m rocking now. 512gb iPhone 11 Pro Max in MIDNIGHT GREEN. It is pure love indeed. Runs like a champ… I have zero desire to upgrade for at least 2 more years. Gorgeous phone. I literally take it out of its Otterbox just to marvel at the design and the premium feel in hand. Mine is like brand new. Zero blemishes/zero scratches. Have original box and all. I sometimes keep certain phones for my collection. My original 3GS, iPhone 5S, and 8 Plus (cause last gen with 3D Touch). Now I will add the 11 pro max to my collection. Sold my 6S Plus, 7 Plus and Xs Max (never to keen on Xs camera module design, in that orientation).

• Love
Reactions: Fozamo and slplss
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.