Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wally Jarratt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2019
I have a question about my current iPhone 11 Pro Max. I have the iPhone 14 Pro Max being delivered on Friday. I'm giving my old iPhone to my much older brother (he's 76 years old) who is using a cheap android phone (and not using it very well either). Anyway, I have some questions regarding the transfer of the phone to him. He rarely uses very few apps, and mostly uses his phone for texting and following his Fantasy Football. So here are are my questions.

1. Can I make him an Apple account before I actually give him the phone?
2. If I can't make him an Apple ID prior to giving the phone to him, can I still set the phone using local wifi for apps, email, etc?
3. I will NOT be transferring any apps or data (I will input those manually).
4. Can I add the apps I think he'll need (want) as long as I have his email address?

I'm mostly interested in questions 1 and 2.

Thanks for any help.

mystery hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2021
1. Can I make him an Apple account before I actually give him the phone?
Yes, you can. You will need to be access to his existing email account to verify it if you want to use it as the Apple ID (username) for the Apple account that you create.

2. If I can't make him an Apple ID prior to giving the phone to him, can I still set the phone using local wifi for apps, email, etc?
An Apple account is required if you want to download apps from the App Store.

4. Can I add the apps I think he'll need (want) as long as I have his email address?
Yes, all you need is the Apple account username, which is an email address, and the password.

Reactions: Wally Jarratt

Jett0516

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2010
Since he's only using it for fantasy football, you could just use your apple id and save the headaches of creating one for him. And also with using your apple id, you can keep track and limit what he does with the phone.

Reactions: Wally Jarratt
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.