Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kidder1994

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2012
Hi guys, yeah, probably there's more posts about this topic but i do need advice about what to do, i just bought an iPhone 11 Pro and in places when low brightness is needed the top half of the screen is darker/pinkish than the bottom half... it's even more noticeable when TrueTone is on.

Turning on the brightness and with TrueTone off the screen becomes pretty even, also this phone doesn't show the pink hue around the corners like other OLED iPhones do, also it came pristine out of the box.

Should i ask for an exchange? considering that OLED is like a lottery, i had an iPhone X with a pink hue around both sides of the screen, my last year iPhone Xs had it but only at the right side, so i'm worried that in the worst case scenario, i would get a worse screen issue that the one i have right now.

I can add some pictures later when i get home if someone wants.

So... what should i do? :/

Reactions: Gayrisafi

kirk.vino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2017
Mine is totally uniform with a blue shift at about 45 degrees.
I'm pretty sure if I saw your phone in person, I'd be able to point out something pertaining to its uniformity. I had multiple iPhone X's, as well as 11 Pro's/11 Pro Max's and there is basically no such thing as a 100% uniform screen. Especially, with OLED. Some people just don't see some of that stuff.

Reactions: Bstephens

Kidder1994

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2012
Just an update, i decided to sent it through warranty but here in Chile i have to wait 12 days till inspection and after that if they see the issue they will replace the phone...

It's nerve wracking to think that i'll have to wait wishing that the guy who inspect my device see the uniformity, if he doesn't they will sent it back as it is plus the hassle of being scratched or something during the delivery :(

Wish we could get an Apple Store here someday... now i'm stuck with my iPhone 8, i'll update any new information and also thanks!.

Simacca

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
UK, South East.
I'm pretty sure if I saw your phone in person, I'd be able to point out something pertaining to its uniformity. I had multiple iPhone X's, as well as 11 Pro's/11 Pro Max's and there is basically no such thing as a 100% uniform screen. Especially, with OLED. Some people just don't see some of that stuff.

Actually I do notice things like that. My samsung oled tablet is not uniform and has mad colour shifts. I only use it for media, so I can live with it as long as I watch it straight on and not at an angle.

kirk.vino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2017
Actually I do notice things like that. My samsung oled tablet is not uniform and has mad colour shifts. I only use it for media, so I can live with it as long as I watch it straight on and not at an angle.
I would put it this way, there is no OLED screen that’s absolutely uniform when comparing top to bottom. It’s only noticeable in some cases in landscape orientation with some solid background colors. With good screens, there is always a slight shift towards either side. With bad screens, the shift is more apparent and they would exhibit the difference between both sides in portrait as well. There are screens that look fine in portrait orientation though. I have one of those now with the 11 Pro. My X was also fine in portrait as well.

DanielERP94

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2019
I have a great color sight and I can tell you all of the Pro Max at my store are pinkish at top and greenish at bottom. I was so obvious that I thought it was a general UI issue at first.

Reactions: BR4DOKYBrazil

Kidder1994

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2012
Just an update, i called my carrier technical support, and they didn't find any issue, they did a "maintenance recommended by Apple" and apparently the issue is "solved" (i'm pretty sure this is bullsh** because nothing can solve unevenness from a display via software).

Anyway, my phone should arrive next week, and i'm gonna inspect it in every aspect, hoping it doesn't have any scratch made by the carrier or someting else, if they did i'm gonna set that store on fire :mad:

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Apples Calibration of the Pro Max is not what we are used to. The screen is much warmer. i
As for the screen itself it seems to be balanced. I checked out over 29 Pro Max iPhones in different Apple stores and all of them are the same. It’s going to be hard to get a good one

Reactions: BR4DOKYBrazil

Kidder1994

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2012
Hey, just bringing news, it's been almost a month since i did an update on this thread.

After my last post, i recieved my phone and thank goodness it didn't had any scratches but technical support didn't recognize any issue with the screen... I insisted on the store that my phone have an screen defect and i showed them different photos as evidence.

In the store they recommended to send it to technical service a second time, attaching all of the pictures and hope this time they recognize the issue, so i did. A week later the answer was again "No screen defect" and when i received the phone it had scratches on the screen and phone housing and also visible glue between the screen and the stainless steel.

I was so pissed about this that i started to argue with the store owner with no results, i didn't accept the damaged phone and told them that now it's their business to fix the damage they made to my phone... They sent my phone to service a third time, and NOW (after three times for god sake) they recognize the screen uniformity and replace the whole screen (without recognizing the damaged housing and exposed glue).

Today the phone arrived to my city and thankfully here in Chile the consumer laws let me ask for a free replacement in case the phone had a recognized factory defect within 90 days from the buying date... So i ended with a new iPhone and also i was able to choose Space Grey instead of another Midnight Green, that was a nice touch for such a hassle.

In summary, a month and a half for a "happy" outcome, wish Apple had a real store and not just authorized resellers. Now my iPhone feels more like a trophy than a proper phone because of the hassle and beating the system for getting a new phone without issues.

Andrew Ladd

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2020
Hey, just bringing news, it's been almost a month since i did an update on this thread.

After my last post, i recieved my phone and thank goodness it didn't had any scratches but technical support didn't recognize any issue with the screen... I insisted on the store that my phone have an screen defect and i showed them different photos as evidence.

In the store they recommended to send it to technical service a second time, attaching all of the pictures and hope this time they recognize the issue, so i did. A week later the answer was again "No screen defect" and when i received the phone it had scratches on the screen and phone housing and also visible glue between the screen and the stainless steel.

I was so pissed about this that i started to argue with the store owner with no results, i didn't accept the damaged phone and told them that now it's their business to fix the damage they made to my phone... They sent my phone to service a third time, and NOW (after three times for god sake) they recognize the screen uniformity and replace the whole screen (without recognizing the damaged housing and exposed glue).

Today the phone arrived to my city and thankfully here in Chile the consumer laws let me ask for a free replacement in case the phone had a recognized factory defect within 90 days from the buying date... So i ended with a new iPhone and also i was able to choose Space Grey instead of another Midnight Green, that was a nice touch for such a hassle.

In summary, a month and a half for a "happy" outcome, wish Apple had a real store and not just authorized resellers. Now my iPhone feels more like a trophy than a proper phone because of the hassle and beating the system for getting a new phone without issues.
hey amigo , te entiendo perfectamente tuve el mismo problema .. fuí a denunciarlos pero por ahorrarme tiempo lo vendí. Te dieron un celular nuevo pero tuviste que devolver el fallado?

geesus

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2015
I've always noticed uniformity errors on all my previous iPhones and on both my OLED TVs but my Pro is as uniform an OLED device as I've seen or owned. I'm blown away by it. The Max may well be more prone to it, but my smaller model is superb here and trust me I have a well trained eye.

Andrew Ladd

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2020
I've always noticed uniformity errors on all my previous iPhones and on both my OLED TVs but my Pro is as uniform an OLED device as I've seen or owned. I'm blown away by it. The Max may well be more prone to it, but my smaller model is superb here and trust me I have a well trained eye.
which phone u have?

geesus

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2015
which phone u have?

11 Pro. Non-Max version. As I say, I am very picky indeed and notice uniformity issues all the time, even on my Sony AF9 TV, which I kept but still has issues with bands etc. It is the best I have ever seen on a phone. Definitely got lucky. My 8 had wild imperfections - darker at the bottom than the top, which made reading on white backgrounds horrible.

Kidder1994

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2012
hey amigo , te entiendo perfectamente tuve el mismo problema .. fuí a denunciarlos pero por ahorrarme tiempo lo vendí. Te dieron un celular nuevo pero tuviste que devolver el fallado?

Devolví el fallado claramente, y el nuevo no ha dado problemas hasta ahora.

This one is pretty even, can't be more happy, and this one is a 11 Pro also, not a Max. I've noticed that the screen is more darker at the bottom but only noticeable on grey backgrounds (best solution was not to use dark mode)

Andrew Ladd

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2020
Devolví el fallado claramente, y el nuevo no ha dado problemas hasta ahora.

This one is pretty even, can't be more happy, and this one is a 11 Pro also, not a Max. I've noticed that the screen is more darker at the bottom but only noticeable on grey backgrounds (best solution was not to use dark mode)
Mi 11 pro tenía un tinte amarillento y si lo veía de lado se veía un color más blanco ( normal )

fromsixtozero

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2019
I think I had similar issue. This is a white screen with night shift and true tone ON. 11 Pro Max. I increased saturation so you can see what I saw better. Sold the phone..

JPEG image.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.