Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SBravo83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2019
Texas
Hi,

I’m a long time lurker and finally decided to join the forum. I just bought my 11 pro in midnight green last night and as soon as I got home from the Apple store and pulled my phone out of the leather case, I started to notice the edges around the phone (where the glass meets the frame) felt somewhat raised and sharp. It’s not visually noticeable, but if I run a finger around the edges, I can feel my finger catching a sharp edge. It’s nothing dramatic, like cutting into my hands or fingers, but it’s there.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this due to the build quality/frosted glass back, or am I making something out of nothing? Any feedback/suggestions are appreciated. I called the store this morning & they told me I could return it within 14 days, but they’re currently out of stock.

SBravo83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2019
Texas
I didn’t think to post pics, but now that I’ve taken them, I’m noticing a buildup of dust particles between the glass back and frame... 74CF4CCA-087C-4A70-84F8-E5B84CF20718.jpeg 279F7664-71D2-45D6-B2AD-34BDA6BF2969.jpeg

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
It can happen as it's two pieces of glass sandwiched together by a steel band with a plastic gasket/seal. If there's the smallest of offset in fitting any of these parts a sharp/raised edge can be felt or it can feel likes theres a half mm gap. Sometimes it's the plastic gasket your feeling, sometimes it's the steel band edge. This has happened on "some" units since the iphone 8.

My returned Pro Max had a sharp edge on back. My friends is smooth like a pebble all the way round. It was designed to feel seamless.

Some people won't notice, some don't care, some will say "just put a case on it", some will exchange. You have decide how much it bothers you.

Build quality is as much of a lottery as screen quality sadly. If you do go the replacement route go to the store and open it, giving it an all over inspection. Don't leave until your satisfied.

Last edited:
Reactions: SBravo83

SBravo83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2019
Texas
It can happen as it's two pieces of glass sandwiched together by a steel band with a plastic gasket/seal. If there's the smallest of offset in fitting any of these parts a sharp/raised edge can be felt or it can feel likes theres a half mm gap. Sometimes it's the plastic gasket your feeling, sometimes it's the steel band edge. This has happened on "some" units since the iphone 8.

My returned Pro Max had a sharp edge on back. My friends is smooth like a pebble all the way round. It was designed to feel seamless.

Some people won't notice, some don't care, some will say "just put a case on it", some will exchange. You have decide how much it bothers you.

Build quality is as much of a lottery as screen quality sadly. If you do go the replacement route go to the store and open it, giving it an all over inspection. Don't leave until your satisfied.

Thanks for the response. I have an appointment set up at the Apple store this evening, so I’m hoping they will replace it at that time. I chatted with a customer service rep via Apple’s site late last night/early this morning and she assured me they would have plenty available to do so.

Reactions: jimmy_uk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.