Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subaiku

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
Am so annoyed right now! Woke up this morning to find that my phone just updated to ios17 from ios 16! I have always had my setting in Automatic Downloads to Download Only. And you can see that I also have iOS Updates set to off.

Has this happened to any of you?

I had kept my at ios16 because it works better with my older Macbook. Grrrrrr...

IMG_6666.PNG

IMG_6667.PNG

Helmsley

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2017
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
I assume the iOS version that was automatically installed was considered a "security response", perhaps? That would make sense going by the settings in your screenshots.

If you want full control of when updates are installed, turn all automatic settings off, including automatic downloads.

Reactions: subaiku

subaiku

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
I assume the iOS version that was automatically installed was considered a "security response", perhaps? That would make sense going by the settings in your screenshots.

If you want full control of when updates are installed, turn all automatic settings off, including automatic downloads.
Oh, meaning the security response would override even the iOS updates being turned off? That’s so bloody annoying! Damage is done I guess. And there’s no way to downgrade back to ios16 right?

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Oh, meaning the security response would override even the iOS updates being turned off? That’s so bloody annoying! Damage is done I guess. And there’s no way to downgrade back to ios16 right?
Give yourself a pat on the back for keeping your devices up to date with the latest security updates. Its one of the basics when it comes to IT-sec. iOS 17 works well with iPhone 11 (haven't tried the pro).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.