Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supergt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2019
The real question is how are your slofies? Maybe Apple is distorting the software to promote their slofie agenda. Where is my tinfoil hat!

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
It maybe true, but no one really wants to see selfies TBH... that’s the larger issue - no one really says it... but focus on other types of photos?

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
Maybe the 11 pro is a more accurate camera and it just brings out the best and worse in their face

Martius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Prague, CZ
Actually that is good news. Maybe people will finally stop taking selfies and produce more beautiful photos. Do you remember the times when there were a lot of people that were shy to be photographed? I have never thought I will miss those times.

Lyrca

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2017
France
1 / New phone is released
2 / Find an issue
3 / Call issue XYZ
4 / XYZGate !

Seriously are we still doing this ?

mcdeco

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2020
Alright guys so I'm new here and I registered hoping to have a discussion with fellow apple fans on what i am dubbing as "uglygate". (cue the "its just your face" jokes . but seriously the iphone xs did not produce distorted jaundice looking selfies) Couldn't find anything else about this online so I'm wondering if i got a dud of some sort.

My iphone 11 camera undoubtedly has two major issues causing selfies to be less flattering. For background reference i have the iphone 11 pro max in space grey.

The two issues are-

1.) facial distortion! even with the "wide angle" feature in the new frontal camera turned off, there is still a bit of distortion compared to previous iphones. this makes faces look longer and more horizontally squashed compared to the iphone xs.

2.) skin tone looks obviously colder/dull/desaturated/ less vibrant on the iphone 11 frontal cam. It's very odd. there's almost a pale yellowing of skin compared to the iphone xs max frontal cam skin tones were warmer and colors were more vibrant. (note: when the iphone xs was first released it had the awful beauty filter applied to selfies but subsequent updates made the frontal camera very flattering in terms of skin tone and color )

Have any of you iphone 11 users experienced the above? feel free to take a selfie standing in front of a window with natural day light with the iphone 11 then compare it with your iphone xs and the differences are very obvious.
Doubtful if you see this, since it’s a year later, but just wanted to confirm your feelings if you do, since responders didn’t seem to have the sensitive eye you do. I just got the iPhone 12 and was comparing to my 10xs. The 12 makes really ****** ugly selfies. Yeah, maybe I’m just old and ugly, which seemed to be the only answer the aholes who responded could come up with to your comment. But as an artist with very sensitive vision, I immediately saw a difference between the hyper HD sharpness and desaturated sallow color of the 12, compared to a more film like quality of the 10xs. The 12 is probably very similar to the camera in the 11. I’m going to return the 12. The 10xs has nicer, more saturated, richer color and a less harsh sharpness that doesn’t appeal to some of us. I watched a Masterclass with Annie Liebowitz and she was talking about digital and the weird obsession with sharpness. She wasn’t that crazy about it either. Anyway, you may never see this but I was glad to have confirmation that I wasn’t alone in my not liking the new camera. The depth of field is definitely better, I do really like that, but I don’t like everybody looking like **** when I take their picture, so I’m sticking with the 10. The editing did not give me much better results. Don’t want to have to do post on every shot. Hope this helps somebody else who is questioning this issue.

Lion007s

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Australia
I think the selfie camera does oversharpen a bit on the 12, along with deep fusion is not what you want in portraits. If you look at DSLR pro photographers, the edited photo always has some sort of softness to them, smoothness, and even blemish removal. I think it’s time iOS gave us options like the Professionals and make selfies more like their DSLR counterparts, or at least give us options like the Asian brands on what kind of feature set we would like to have in selfie mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.