Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JM

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
Okay long shot, but does anyone have any thing to say about why they regret getting an 11 (normal) over any other iPhone offered?

I am having some real problems deciding what phone to get (I have a 7 now and am not happy with it because of the old chip, battery life, and shape.)

Thanks in advance. Gimme your gripes with the 11 :)

4pp13

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2020
I regretted the iPhone 11 during purchase! But I wanted to buy an Apple phone and get out of Android so it seemed like best choice at the time.

For me, the 11 pro was the winner of the 11s overall. But that was mainly due to size. The 11 is just so annoying as you can almost use it one hand, but not quite, especially once in a case.

The weight became noticeable and having to flip and shift it in hand soon became intolerable. However I went with 11 rather than pro hedging bets on something better in the 12 line. It’s paid off, the mini is perfection (aside from battery life, the rumours are true, it’s rather taking some getting used to coming from 11 - that had wicked battery life)

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
I know this thread is a little old but figured I would respond.

I have had the Iphone 11 since May. It has great cameras, its fast, good speakers and fantastic battery life. My gripes would be that it is waaaaaaaaaay too heavy for a phone of this size. Face ID is fine when it works but it often doesn't work. My biggest gripe with it has more to do with iOS on it: the gesture system. How should I put this: I strongly dislike the gesture system for navigation. Not only is the gesture navigation system frustrating for me to use at times, but it often doesn't recognize my swipes and I often have to swipe 2-4 times before it does what it is supposed to do. Due to my last gripe, and the weight of the phone, if I could go back in time I would have gotten the Iphone SE 2020 instead. I really miss having a home button for navigation, it worked so much better than the gestures they have now.

Reactions: sportsnut and JM

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I know this thread is a little old but figured I would respond.

I have had the Iphone 11 since May. It has great cameras, its fast, good speakers and fantastic battery life. My gripes would be that it is waaaaaaaaaay too heavy for a phone of this size. Face ID is fine when it works but it often doesn't work. My biggest gripe with it has more to do with iOS on it: the gesture system. How should I put this: I strongly dislike the gesture system for navigation. Not only is the gesture navigation system frustrating for me to use at times, but it often doesn't recognize my swipes and I often have to swipe 2-4 times before it does what it is supposed to do. Due to my last gripe, and the weight of the phone, if I could go back in time I would have gotten the Iphone SE 2020 instead. I really miss having a home button for navigation, it worked so much better than the gestures they have now.

Wow! This is a first for me, you don’t like the iOS gestures? I find iOS gestures the easiest form of finger navigation that has ever existed in a smartphone, even most iPhone competitors to this day have not for it down packed the way Apple do, IMO, they are so smooth and natural, it’s a little ridiculous.

Are you perhaps using a certain type of screen protector that may be affecting navigation of the gestures?

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
Wow! This is a first for me, you don’t like the iOS gestures? I find iOS gestures the easiest form of finger navigation that has ever existed in a smartphone, even most iPhone competitors to this day have not for it down packed the way Apple do, IMO, they are so smooth and natural, it’s a little ridiculous.

Are you perhaps using a certain type of screen protector that may be affecting navigation of the gestures?
I use Zagg tempered glass. They always worked well for me in the past.

As for gestures and navigation I would gladly take the Apple physical home button or Android’s on screen navigation bar by far.

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
Better off ponying up for the 12, it’s a very significant upgrade. Or if you wanna save money then get the XR. The 11 is kinda no mans land

petsk

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
The 11 is a minor upgrade over the XR. The camera on the 11 is a nice upgrade however.
The 12 is a significant upgrade over the 11. Camera almost the same, but the display and form factor are much improved.

That's how I've experienced upgrading from XR -> 11 -> 12.

dwellselectric

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2020
I love my iPhone 11 Pro Max it has the best battery of any iPhone I’ve owned and takes amazing pictures

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
The 11 is a minor upgrade over the XR. The camera on the 11 is a nice upgrade however.
The 12 is a significant upgrade over the 11. Camera almost the same, but the display and form factor are much improved.

That's how I've experienced upgrading from XR -> 11 -> 12.
I didn’t bother with the 11, but had the XR and now a 12 and this would be exactly my thoughts
I love my iPhone 11 Pro Max it has the best battery of any iPhone I’ve owned and takes amazing pictures
This thread isn’t about the pro max

RegularGuy09

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2015
Better off ponying up for the 12, it’s a very significant upgrade. Or if you wanna save money then get the XR. The 11 is kinda no mans land

Ehh its not much of an upgrade. A better display(hard to know if its not side by side), and a slightly smaller design. Not much else really, and its $200 more. 11 seems like a better deal for me.

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
Ehh its not much of an upgrade. A better display(hard to know if its not side by side), and a slightly smaller design. Not much else really, and its $200 more. 11 seems like a better deal for me.

- Completely new design, arguably the best ever, combining the best bits of the X and 4/5
- Significantly lighter and easier to use 1 handed
- 5G
- OLED screen
- MagSafe compatible

In addition to all the usual tweaks, camera, processor, battery etc. XR to 11 had no new features and only the usual tweaks. Shoulda been called the XRS lol

11 to 12 is one of the biggest upgrades there has ever been. On par with 3GS to 4, and 4S to 5, and only behind 7 to X

Last edited:
Reactions: helloapple1

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
Also looking at the 11 for my son. He has an 8+ and the battery is down to 83%. It was designed for at&t but is on verizon. Works, but lately lots and lots of dropped lte connections and no lte found. I can get a brand new 11 from apple for $329 with trade in. Sort of thinking about it. He doesn’t seem to mind the weight and size of the 8+, the 11 is a bit smaller and lighter with .6” bigger screen and new warranty. ??‍♀️

JM

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
Also looking at the 11 for my son. He has an 8+ and the battery is down to 83%. It was designed for at&t but is on verizon. Works, but lately lots and lots of dropped lte connections and no lte found. I can get a brand new 11 from apple for $329 with trade in. Sort of thinking about it. He doesn’t seem to mind the weight and size of the 8+, the 11 is a bit smaller and lighter with .6” bigger screen and new warranty. ??‍♀️
Well! I'm picking up the 11 tonight.... I could report back to you about call quality, etc. I'm coming from a 7.

Reactions: harriska2

JM

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
Just picked up the 11 and it is similar to my 7 in call quality and download speeds. The upload speeds were WAY faster, interestingly.

The iPhone 7 was the last phone with a Qualcomm modem (on the Verizon and Sprint models), ATT and Tmobile I believe had Intel; and Qualcomm just came back with the 12 series and it is TWICE as fast as my 7: the qualcomm modems are worth the extra cost.

But as far as the 11 goes, the 8 series had Intel modems, so I would imagine the call quality and reception is going to be similar to a little better.

I'd say if you're interested in the 11, it will have a better camera and better battery life, and a faster chip. Not bad for $329, when the 11 will last another 2 years or more.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
Just picked up the 11 and it is similar to my 7 in call quality and download speeds. The upload speeds were WAY faster, interestingly.

The iPhone 7 was the last phone with a Qualcomm modem (on the Verizon and Sprint models), ATT and Tmobile I believe had Intel; and Qualcomm just came back with the 12 series and it is TWICE as fast as my 7: the qualcomm modems are worth the extra cost.

But as far as the 11 goes, the 8 series had Intel modems, so I would imagine the call quality and reception is going to be similar to a little better.

I'd say if you're interested in the 11, it will have a better camera and better battery life, and a faster chip. Not bad for $329, when the 11 will last another 2 years or more.
Huh, I can get the iphone 12 for $750 new with military discount. Plus $210 trade in would bring it down to $540. Is the 12 worth $220 more than the 11?

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
Huh, I can get the iphone 12 for $750 new with military discount. Plus $210 trade in would bring it down to $540. Is the 12 worth $220 more than the 11?
I personally think for $220 more than the 11 that the 12 is very much worth it. For that you get a much lighter phone, higher resolution screen, slightly better camera, and the qualcomm modem (I don't even care about 5G, I just wish my 11 had a qualcomm modem as the Intel modem in my 11 causes me to have to reboot a few times a week just to keep it connected to 4g LTE).

Edit: I almost forgot, a newer processor as well.

JM

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
Absolutely!!! The 12 is MILES better than the 11, especially in regards to reception. That Qualcomm modem is amazing. The OLED screen is amazing too: it's very crisp.

And, the short time I had the mini, it had noticeably better photos than the 11 I have now. If I didn't get headaches from the OLED screen on the 12 mini I would have kept it forever! (well, you know... "forever" as in a long time. I loved the reception and size and battery life was better than my 7.)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
The new iPhone 12 and its 6.1” screen is now the width of the iPhone 11 Pro with 5.8” screen. Size-wise, it resolves one of my biggest issues with the XR and 11.

Also, Qualcomm modem!

JM

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
Hey y'all, tried the 12 mini and got PWM headaches and eye pain in the back of my eye. Reluctantly went with the 11 green.

I'm in love. I really thought I would hate this giant phone but it's a non-issue. And I know there was hate for the larger black around the screen but to me it gives the phone a playful, fun, warm, friendly look.

And with this bluish green color it is beautiful. I would even rock the purple if I hadn't feel in love with the green first.

Reception is just as fine as my old 7, (50% of the reception the Qualcomm modem gets in the 12, mind you), but still fine and good enough.

the weight is noticeable, and hurts my wrist a little (I'm sensitive) but overall I'm so happy with it.

The mini was still my top choice, but the PWM screen gave me headaches :( I can't chance that for two or more years.

oh, and happy to finally be back on gesture navigation after having the Palm Pixi many years ago.

Reactions: Tsepz

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
My 11 Pro has been my best phone so far. Battery life has been exceptional. So much so i don't even want to chance it and get a 12 Pro. I had Iphone X before and the battery health on that didn't take long to dip below 100%. Like within months. My iPhone 11 Pro on the other hand I've had now since June 2nd. It's still 100% battery health. No major issues with functionality. And Pro's 5.8" is perfect. Couldn't be happier with it.

Reactions: Tsepz and JM

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Hey y'all, tried the 12 mini and got PWM headaches and eye pain in the back of my eye. Reluctantly went with the 11 green.

I'm in love. I really thought I would hate this giant phone but it's a non-issue. And I know there was hate for the larger black around the screen but to me it gives the phone a playful, fun, warm, friendly look.

And with this bluish green color it is beautiful. I would even rock the purple if I hadn't feel in love with the green first.

Reception is just as fine as my old 7, (50% of the reception the Qualcomm modem gets in the 12, mind you), but still fine and good enough.

the weight is noticeable, and hurts my wrist a little (I'm sensitive) but overall I'm so happy with it.

The mini was still my top choice, but the PWM screen gave me headaches :( I can't chance that for two or more years.

oh, and happy to finally be back on gesture navigation after having the Palm Pixi many years ago.

Congratulations and enjoy!

The iPhone 11 series were truly a great step up and I think Apple will only truly bring something significantly better with the 13 or 14 series, so you should be good for a long time.

I personally cannot get enough of my 11 Pro Max, battery life is just so ridiculously good that I would need something that significantly improves on it to be my next phone.

helloapple1

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2020
- Completely new design, arguably the best ever, combining the best bits of the X and 4/5
- Significantly lighter and easier to use 1 handed
- 5G
- OLED screen
- MagSafe compatible

In addition to all the usual tweaks, camera, processor, battery etc. XR to 11 had no new features and only the usual tweaks. Shoulda been called the XRS lol

11 to 12 is one of the biggest upgrades there has ever been. On par with 3GS to 4, and 4S to 5, and only behind 7 to X
Completely agree with the 1 handed used comment. Compared to my previous 11 the iPhone 12 is much easier to hold 1 handed and much lighter. Combined make a better experience (for me personally).

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I’ve had an 11 since November 2019. I’ve really enjoyed this phone, my only main gripes would be the size and screen. It is hard to use one handed but the weight doesn’t bother me. I was disappointed it didn’t get an OLED screen with higher resolution, but it never bothered me in the end.

I got my wife an iPhone 12 mini for her birthday last month. She came from a 7 and loves smaller phones so it was perfect for her.

After comparing her 12 mini with my 11, I definitely like the design and size better, but the screen wasn’t as dramatic a difference as I thought it would be. I’ve seen them in stores but never really used an OLED screen before on a phone. Sure, the blacks are really black and it seems a bit crisper, but it didn’t give me that huge wow factor as I expected when I compared them side by side. My 11 is perfectly fine.

This experience caused me to decide to not upgrade to the 12. The only things I’d really like are the new design and display, but it’s not worth the hassle and money to me to upgrade.

That said, if I didn’t have an 11 and were buying a new phone now I’d definitely get the 12 or 12 mini over the 11.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.