Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdamJD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
Screen sizes are misleading. I just took this picture last night at the Apple Store. The phone on top is an old iPhone 6s Plus with a 5.5 inch screen size. The bottom is the iPhone 11 with a 6.1 inch screen size. (Note: The display quality is not quite as far off as it appears. Brightness was turned down on the old 6S Plus)

Thanks to the notch and rounded corners, watching a 16x9 video without cropping causes the viewable image to be smaller than an iPhone 6s Plus. Taking advantage of the "6.1 inch" display means cropping the top, bottom, corners and a notched out the video you're watching.

Personally, I'd prefer the squared 16x9 screen and a small bezel. Thoughts?
19-1203 iPhone 11 vs iPhone 6s Plus.JPG

Reactions: Rashy

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
This is why the smaller 11 pro and the iPad 11 pro is the best combo. But yeah the average Joe think they are getting a bigger screen when going from a plus to a 5.8" or 6'1".

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
You're getting a larger display area with the 6.1" display, there's no doubt about it. Most people can live with cropping.

5.5" to 5.8" = smaller area
5.5 to 6.1" = larger area

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Screen sizes are misleading. I just took this picture last night at the Apple Store. The phone on top is an old iPhone 6s Plus with a 5.5 inch screen size. The bottom is the iPhone 11 with a 6.1 inch screen size. (Note: The display quality is not quite as far off as it appears. Brightness was turned down on the old 6S Plus)

Thanks to the notch and rounded corners, watching a 16x9 video without cropping causes the viewable image to be smaller than an iPhone 6s Plus. Taking advantage of the "6.1 inch" display means cropping the top, bottom, corners and a notched out the video you're watching.

Personally, I'd prefer the squared 16x9 screen and a small bezel. Thoughts?
View attachment 880577

I wouldn’t consider those small bezels.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
No home button, a notch, awkward form factor, and terrible modem.
The size of the pro max in hand is nearly identical to the plus phones. You won't notice the notch after 5 minutes. Face id is way more intuitive for most people. I'll agree with you on the modem.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
Personal opinion, and personal preference only.....but I don't get hung up on the 6.1 vs 5.5. I find the 6.1 to be very narrow. I would take the width and 16:9 aspect ratio of the plus phone over the narrow/elongated XR/11 8 days a week. Again, that is just me.

lgjay

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2019
Went from an iPhone 8 Plus to an iPhone 11, the only thing makes me feel downgraded is definitely the screen, as many had already mentioned, the narrower screen is not great for consuming visual content at all. And the narrower screen also makes typing experience not as good as the plus-sized phones.Besides that, the iPhone 11 screen is not as smooth to touch comparing to iPhone 8 Plus.

But I just LOVE the decent battery life that the new iPhones can offer (iPhone 8 Plus battery life was once decent too, but Apple had ruined it over time, little by little, sadly)

Last edited:
Reactions: AdamJD

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
Went from an iPhone 8 Plus to an iPhone 11, the only thing makes me feel downgraded is definitely the screen, as many had already mentioned, the narrower screen is not great for consuming visual content at all. And the narrower screen also makes typing experience not as good as the plus-sized phones.Besides that, the iPhone 11 screen is not as smooth to touch comparing to iPhone 8 Plus.

But I just LOVE the decent battery life that the new iPhones can offer (iPhone 8 Plus battery life was once decent too, but Apple had ruined it over time, little by little, sadly)
About consuming content in portrait mode: Isn't it better on the 11?
About touch comparison: That's a matter of taste, my wife loves the 11 instead of my 8+.
About 8+ battery life: Are you sure Apple ruined it, or chemical degradation that happens in every battery?

Reactions: johaen8

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014

In terms of Battery Life: How? Has Apple decreased it with iOS 13? Or maybe you just need a new battery? I'm asking because i also have the 8 Plus and the battery life is amazing.

lgjay

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2019
In terms of Battery Life: How? Has Apple decreased it with iOS 13? Or maybe you just need a new battery? I'm asking because i also have the 8 Plus and the battery life is amazing.

By saying the battery life was not decent anymore, I was speaking relatively comparing to iPhone 8 Plus when it first launched running first few versions of iOS 11.

Then at some point (still on iOS 11) the battery life was not just not as great anymore. That could certainly due to the deterioration of the battery itself overtime.

But I did get my battery changed with Apple Care +, yet even with a *full capacity* battery. The battery life just was not as decent as when it first launched.

Don’t get me wrong, I mean I still think my iPhone 8 Plus battery life is good and somewhat decent (with iOS 11/12/13), it just not as decent as it used to be. Maybe I just have a higher standard and become really nit-picky when it comes to battery life.

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
By saying the battery life was not decent anymore, I was speaking relatively comparing to iPhone 8 Plus when it first launched running first few versions of iOS 11.

Then at some point (still on iOS 11) the battery life was not just not as great anymore. That could certainly due to the deterioration of the battery itself overtime.

But I did get my battery changed with Apple Care +, yet even with a *full capacity* battery. The battery life just was not as decent as when it first launched.

Don’t get me wrong, I mean I still think my iPhone 8 Plus battery life is good and somewhat decent (with iOS 11/12/13), it just not as decent as it used to be. Maybe I just have a higher standard and become really nit-picky when it comes to battery life.

You need to get a battery replacement every year or two sadly. They don't last that long. My 8 Plus is almost 1 year old now and i think about getting a replacement, it's only like 50$ at the Apple Store. Battery Capacity is still at 88%. As soon as it's a noticeably decrease - time for a new one.

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I don’t think that’s misleading. The phones just display video content differently based on their size. To me the advantage of the 11 over the plus size iPhones - besides all the new tech inside and better cameras - is that you have almost the same viewable area in a phone that is smaller overall.

I came from a 7 to an 11 just a few weeks ago and I personally love the screen size of the 11 as it is a nice upgrade for me. Video looks great on it and it is a good jump from the 7 in terms of size but it is not as big or unwieldy (to me) as an 8 Plus. FaceID has also worked a lot better than I expected.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
The size of the pro max in hand is nearly identical to the plus phones. You won't notice the notch after 5 minutes. Face id is way more intuitive for most people. I'll agree with you on the modem.

I always notice the notch when I use my mom's XR... way past 5 minutes. Its distracting and takes away from the experience. As far as face ID goes, I have used that, as well, and its just a gimmick. It should be there as a nice (I'm going to work most of the time) option. touch ID is more intuitive and practical. With touch ID, you can unlock the phone, say under your covers in bed without even looking at it. Can't quite do that with these "upgrades".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.