Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dan-K

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Hi guys,

I can’t seem to get my head around this.

Apart from the LCD display which is a downgrade, is every other aspect of the iPhone 11 am upgrade over the XS?

Roykatz

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys,

Apart from the LCD display which is a downgrade, is every other aspect of the iPhone 11 am upgrade over the XS?

If you’re thinking about upgrade from Xs 64gb base model to iphone 11 64gb base model then it’s a wasted of money imo..
if it’s 64gb Xs to 256gb 11 then it’s a whole different story..

dan-K

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Why upgrading from Xs? It’s a great smartphone..

A lot of it comes down to the fact I’m currently paying £69 a month for my iPhone XS Max 256gb through the iUP. I feel at the moment I’m barely using the phone to what it’s capable of. I don’t play graphic intensive games nor do any video editing or photo editing. I feel the 11 would allow me to reduce my monthly cost drastically with a phone that’s more suited to my needs. Currently, I feel like I’m throwing money out the window.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
The 11 has better battery, but the LCD screen. It also doesn’t have the portrait mode lens. It opted for the wide lense.

Outside of the screen losing portrait mode is the biggest difference. In every other way it would be an upgrade.

I’ll probably jump from the X to the 128gb 11. It will only cost $350 with the trade in.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
The 11 has better battery, but the LCD screen. It also doesn’t have the portrait mode lens. It opted for the wide lense.

Outside of the screen losing portrait mode is the biggest difference. In every other way it would be an upgrade.

I’ll probably jump from the X to the 128gb 11. It will only cost $350 with the trade in.
I'll be honest, I usually prefer the portrait mode on the single camera with machine learning. The dual camera portrait mode is meh (even though the single camera is limited to certain objects)

cap7ainclu7ch

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
I'm considering swapping to a 11 from an XS this year if I can get a good deal with a trade or sale. Biggest reason is the new night mode and better battery life. My XS's battery hasn't been great. I also really like the in between size of the 11. I find the XS to be a little small and the Max to be a little too big.

I don't know if I can give up OLED though. I love the XS display. I'll probably just sit it out unless theres some crazy trade deal if they don't sell alot of these.

Reactions: BluefinTuna

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I'm considering swapping to a 11 from an XS this year if I can get a good deal with a trade or sale. Biggest reason is the new night mode and better battery life. My XS's battery hasn't been great. I also really like the in between size of the 11. I find the XS to be a little small and the Max to be a little too big.

I don't know if I can give up OLED though. I love the XS display. I'll probably just sit it out unless theres some crazy trade deal if they don't sell alot of these.

what’s the XS trade in, $500? That would put the 128gb 11 at $250.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Hi guys,

OP: I hear you ...

I have 2 iPhones - XS Max for personal and 7+ for work.
XS Max is a waste of money as I don't use much of the features - mainly its a text and call device.
As for the 7+ it's been awesome since day one (3 years ago) and still going strong.

Going to replace the 7+ with the 11 since I don't care about the "retina" screen on my XS Max. LCD is more than fine for me. I don't take photos like my wife does so why get a Pro with 3 lenses...

I figure in my situation, I can get around $300+ for my 7+ w/ Mophie battery case & Mophie wireless charger setups.
Makes the $700 iPhone 11 down to $400!

King Shady

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2010
San Jose, CA
OP: I hear you ...

I have 2 iPhones - XS Max for personal and 7+ for work.
XS Max is a waste of money as I don't use much of the features - mainly its a text and call device.
As for the 7+ it's been awesome since day one (3 years ago) and still going strong.

Going to replace the 7+ with the 11 since I don't care about the "retina" screen on my XS Max. LCD is more than fine for me. I don't take photos like my wife does so why get a Pro with 3 lenses...

I figure in my situation, I can get around $300+ for my 7+ w/ Mophie battery case & Mophie wireless charger setups.
Makes the $700 iPhone 11 down to $400!

So why did you waste so much money on a personal device when you barely use the features of the device? Text and call can be done efficiently on an iPhone SE and that would have saved you upwards of a grand.

Reactions: mrt209

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
So why did you waste so much money on a personal device when you barely use the features of the device? Text and call can be done efficiently on an iPhone SE and that would have saved you upwards of a grand.

I got the XS Max because the previous personal phone was the 8+ and the battery was failing - plus Apple had a great trade in price.
Thought the Retina screen would be better because I have a Retina MBP and 12" Macbook which I use more for videos, photo editing, etc...
Guess the phone screen is too small to consider the Retina better IMO.

Happy with the LCD screen so I'm getting the 11 to replace the 7+.

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around

No portrait mode? I don't think it's a deal breaker for me. I think the 11 will be fine for me.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012

No portrait mode? I don't think it's a deal breaker for me. I think the 11 will be fine for me.

The 11 has portrait mode... and the base 11 now works on objects and pets whereas the XR did not. Not sure where mattopotamus heard there was none.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
A lot of it comes down to the fact I’m currently paying £69 a month for my iPhone XS Max 256gb through the iUP. I feel at the moment I’m barely using the phone to what it’s capable of. I don’t play graphic intensive games nor do any video editing or photo editing. I feel the 11 would allow me to reduce my monthly cost drastically with a phone that’s more suited to my needs. Currently, I feel like I’m throwing money out the window.

Yes, you are throwing money out the window because you're not going to save money by getting a new phone...

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
It is missing the telephoto lens, and I thought that is what made portrait mode on objects possible, but I guess that is not the case. So really it is 95% of the way a Pro.

Oh, got ya.

Yeah in the XR, the portrait mode is mainly software driven, hence the object/pet limitation. In phones with 2+ cameras, it uses software, but more importantly the focal length disparity between the two lenses to decipher depth between the object and its background, allowing it to be more efficient and allows it to work on more than just human heads.

dan-K

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Yes, you are throwing money out the window because you're not going to save money by getting a new phone...

I'll be saving roughly £40 a month by getting the 11 and paying off my iUP loan by selling my XS max. That's the way I see it.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
I'll be saving roughly £40 a month by getting the 11 and paying off my iUP loan by selling my XS max. That's the way I see it.

Aren't you just locking yourself into monthly payments for even longer by getting the 11? I understand the monthly amount will be lower but the XS Max will be paid off far earlier. If that's the case then you're obviously just spending additional money by upgrading even if you're immediate cash flow feels better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.