Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BenjaTheNinja1977

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2021
My wife’s iPhone 11 quit powering on yesterday. Will not charge on an official apple charger or a wireless charger.

The reset doesn’t work, Cleaning it did not work. All tutorials are saying hardware issue and I need to go to Apple… But for us non insurance holding/past warranty poor folks who would rather fix it themselves; what do I do?

Thank you in advance.

Reactions: Ram65

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Right now the problem could be anything - hardware related. There’s no way to know what’s wrong with it without opening it up and examining for something obvious (disconnected cable) or testing it with equipment or knowledge no regular iPhone user has.
It could be as simple as a dud battery- or battery connection.

At this point, you’ve got to find out what’s wrong with it. You can probably get a free repair estimate from a third party smartphone repair shop. Then make your decision based on the findings.

BenjaTheNinja1977

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2021
Right now the problem could be anything - hardware related. There’s no way to know what’s wrong with it without opening it up and examining for something obvious (disconnected cable) or testing it with equipment or knowledge no regular iPhone user has.

At this point, you’ve got to find out what’s wrong with it. You can probably get a free repair estimate from a third party smartphone repair shop. Then make your decision based on the findings.
I figured as much. Just not sure if someone else ran into this issue. I really appreciate your feedback.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My wife’s iPhone 11 quit powering on yesterday. Will not charge on an official apple charger or a wireless charger.

The reset doesn’t work, Cleaning it did not work. All tutorials are saying hardware issue and I need to go to Apple… But for us non insurance holding/past warranty poor folks who would rather fix it themselves; what do I do?

Thank you in advance.
If you take it to an Apple store they can diagnose it and tell you what's wrong with it. They'll also give you an estimate. They will not actually do any repair work unless they have your authorization.

So, from this perspective you can find out exactly what the problem is and how much you can expect to pay - for free. Once you have that info you can then determine how best you want to proceed.

There's also the chance that it may be something simple and by fiddling with the phone it works again. That'd also be free.

Reactions: Fred Zed

BenjaTheNinja1977

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2021
If you take it to an Apple store they can diagnose it and tell you what's wrong with it. They'll also give you an estimate. They will not actually do any repair work unless they have your authorization.

So, from this perspective you can find out exactly what the problem is and how much you can expect to pay - for free. Once you have that info you can then determine how best you want to proceed.

There's also the chance that it may be something simple and by fiddling with the phone it works again. That'd also be free.
All true. And I have thought of going to Apple. But I've been incredibly busy and the closest Apple store is 3 hours from me...

Fortunately, I had an old iPhone X that I swapped the sim card out with, and it's working. It'll do until I figure it out.

Thanks for responding!

Ram65

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014

Thank you in advance.
Take it to the apple store for repairs or upgrade through your carrier

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.