Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gregohb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2013
Los Angeles, CA, USA
My iPhone 11 Pro Max worked normally for over a year, then one day I lost all cellular internet data for half a day. Then this happened a few days later. Off and on unpredictabibly. I contacted Apple repeatedly. I reset network settings, restarted, made sure data roaming was on, erased and restored, and eventually erased everything and re-installed app by app. The problem continued. I also had various apple stores check it, and they said it was normal. I replaced the SIM card, and disabled, then deleted the VPN. Nothing solved the problem which was getting worse and worse. I then traveled from the US to EU, and the problem continued in EU as well. Eventually Apple replaced the phone with a new one, but the problem still occurs.

Meanwhile my friend with an iPhone 12 rarely has this problem at all. For example, we were in Spain, and my cell and wifi were turned on, but when I opened Google maps - blank. My friends iPhone 12 showed us moving on the train on a map of Spain - without the cell service turned on. I went two weeks in Italy with no cell data while the 12 got it.

Clearly the iPhone 11 Pro Max has a defective design or defective antennas compared to the iPhone 12. I wonder if other owners have the same problem. This has caused me so much grief - like not being able to show a rail pass when a conductor demands it because I have no internet.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Millions of those iPhones were sold over the years and nobody (I’ve heard) has complained about the problems you’ve been having. Maybe you got another dud as a replacement?
iPhones only have a one year warranty. If it goes haywire after one year then you lose. Yeah that sucks.

Reactions: Fred Zed

gregohb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2013
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Well thats why I am reaching out to see what experiences others are having. This is not a single instance, its hundreds of instances in the US (home dozens of instances but usually limited to a few hours) and half a dozen EU countries (days on end). One or two of the Apple Geniuses mentioned the possibility that the antennas are different. If I just had the 11PM I might think I was just in some bad cell area, but having a 12PM in the same locations, show there is a distinct difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.