Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
as a final customers we do not care which technology was used. we want a good looking phone which will not lose its color during normal usage
Well if you read the thread, over 95% of people who responded didn't nor have ever had the issue so it is a very minuscule percentage of iPhone owners on this forum. If you extrapolate, I think it is obviously a small percentage in iPhone production around the globe..

Last edited:

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Maybe Apple should check out how high quality car manufacturers like Lexus paint their cars.
as a final customers we do not care which technology was used. we want a good looking phone which will not lose its color during normal usage
No idea what you guys are talking about. I have a blue iPhone 13 which I have used normally for a year now and you wouldn’t be able to tell it apart from a brand new one that’s just come out of the box.

Also, all used cars have chipped paintwork… good luck finding an immaculate car with zero paint chips, lol.

Khavik

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2023
No idea what you guys are talking about. I have a blue iPhone 13 which I have used normally for a year now and you wouldn’t be able to tell it apart from a brand new one that’s just come out of the box.

Also, all used cars have chipped paintwork… good luck finding an immaculate car with zero paint chips, lol.
Well if you read the thread, over 95% of people who responded didn't nor have ever had the issue so it is a very minuscule percentage of iPhone owners on this forum. If you extrapolate, I think it is obviously a small percentage in iPhone production around the globe..
I am talking in general, so far I do not have any problems with frames of my blue 15 pro max

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I don’t know. The iPhone 12 Mini I had on release, which now belongs to my mum, is still as good as new. You have to clean your phone & the case once per month if you want to prevent cosmetic damage. The poster you’re referring to neglected to clean his phone, unfortunately.

Personally, I just slap on a case when I buy my phone and don’t bother with regular cleaning.

After 2-4 years, I remove the phone from the case so I can swap the SIM to my new device. The old phone still looks like new after wiping with a microfiber cloth.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
View attachment 2315972 For comparison: an iPhone 6 used for 3 years in Asia (bottom) vs an iPhone SE 2 used for 2 1/2 years in Europe and 1/2 a year in Asia (top). Humidity was blamed when I asked.

Probably not just humidity but exposure to chlorides, sulfides, alkaline or acidic environment.

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
How do you suspect, uh Asia, is to blame for putting those inside my phone case?

Not sure what part of Asia you’re in.

In the Philippines particularly Metro Manila, air pollution is high (sulfur dioxide). Salty sea air near beaches (chlorides). There’s also the possibility of acid rain.

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2023
Earth
Good afternoon,

As all of you know, the paint of today's iPhones comes off easily.
This in no way detracts from the function of the phone. Who cares what it looks like on the outside, it’s what’s on the inside that matters. This goes for iPhones, houses, automobiles, even people.

ric22

Suspended
Mar 8, 2022
Not sure what part of Asia you’re in.

In the Philippines particularly Metro Manila, air pollution is high (sulfur dioxide). Salty sea air near beaches (chlorides). There’s also the possibility of acid rain.
A year of that iPhone's life was spent travelling around the continent. Otherwise, I was living in southern China.

ric22

Suspended
Mar 8, 2022
This in no way detracts from the function of the phone. Who cares what it looks like on the outside, it’s what’s on the inside that matters. This goes for iPhones, houses, automobiles, even people.
But be it a car, a house or a phone, I'd rather it stayed looking new for longer, so the longer the paint adheres the better, right? Surely?

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2023
Earth
But be it a car, a house or a phone, I'd rather it stayed looking new for longer, so the longer the paint adheres the better, right? Surely?
Well, chipping paint would expose the underlying metal to deterioration from the elements, so I’ll allow it. However, I stand by my claim that exterior beauty does not in any way give a clue as to the value of what is on the inside.

ric22

Suspended
Mar 8, 2022
Well, chipping paint would expose the underlying metal to deterioration from the elements, so I’ll allow it. However, I stand by my claim that exterior beauty does not in any way give a clue as to the value of what is on the inside.
The outside of all of those items carry a value too. Early chipping diminishes the monetary value. You literally can sell none of the above for as much money if the outside doesn't look pristine.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
Paint chipping is the price we pay for colored phones. Unless they go to DLC coatings, this will keep happening.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.