Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hitmanbbq59

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2020
Hey guys,
I want to preface and say that I love my 12 Pro Max much more than any other iPhone and look forward to the 13 Pro max myself because 120hz, better battery life, and a possible always on display already sell it for me. There is one issue with my 12 pro max though...

I have owned my 12 Pro max since launch day in November. I have mainly used it for instagram, email, web browsing, and other light tasks. What is strange though is that after only 9 months, I am at 90% battery health! This seems absurd as I had an 11 pro before I traded it in and that 11 Pro had 97% battery health. What is going on? I have noticed that the 12 series seemingly has terrible battery retention (I have also seen other threads stating the same issue). I even compared it to my family member's XS max and hers is at 91% after 3 years...

I know there are a lot of factors that go into battery degradation such as charging, environment temp and more.

I guess what I am trying to ask is:
1. Does anyone else have this issue of excessive battery degradation?
2. What can I do when I get my 13 Pro max to prevent the rapid degradation?

From what I hear, the 13 pro max will be the phone I hold onto for years, so I want to make sure I preserve it for as long as possible without needing to pay to replace the battery.

Thank y'all!

reppans

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006
Seems there’re press articles claiming Apple has moved to smaller/cheaper batts in the 12 series to offset the costs of 5G. ‘Smaller’ maybe fine given efficiency improvements, but I wonder if ‘cheaper’ contributes to all the ‘batt health decline’ posts you see related to the 12 series.
https://www.pcmag.com/news/report-iphone-12-to-use-smaller-cheaper-battery.

Conventional wisdom is not to worry about it - just use your phone and pay $70 to replace the battery when it’s time. Personally, as a runtime/battery geek, I like managing my batts and settings and have had excellent results - with the Shortcuts app + $10 smartplug, it’s also full automated. For my usage pattern, Apple’s own ‘battery optimization’ feature would kill my batt in <2yrs.

Reactions: Hitmanbbq59
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.