Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tommaso Ammannati

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2020
Hello everyone!

I finally received my iPhone 12 on October 20th and immediately noticed that I was effected by the now infamous green tint issue plaguing many iPhone 12/12 Pro units.

Many have reported that they've gone in and gotten the whole unit replaced, which ended up changing absolutely nothing. However, I still went to Apple - earlier this month - to get a replacement as I was curious. Everything went smoothly. Replacement was free of charge, no questions asked, and it was a display replacement - NOT the entire unit, which I was happy about.

They swapped displays in store and the process took an hour or two. When I got my phone back, even with the bright Apple Store lights, I could tell that the issue was gone. Blacks displayed properly and grays were actually gray. There was no green tint at all. Days later, I notice the green tint again when restarting the iPhone. This was the first time I'd seen it since. I dismissed it, for whatever reason I came up with at the time. However, as time went on, I noticed that grays were a little more... Well... Green.
I dismissed that as I thought I was just being paranoid. Nope. Not even close. Turns out, the green tint issue slowly came back.

So, here's what I'm asking:

A) Has anyone gotten just a display replacement? If so, what was the outcome?
B) Did you notice this tinting return, assuming that the new display initially fixed the problem?

first display:

bfe8ba29-b352-4479-9cc2-6c2649da6771

second display:

0fe3aaa6-141a-4564-a482-f9435fa488c5

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.