Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
Apple's support article states that 5G does not work in dual-SIM set-up.
The Verge and other websites have mentioned that you have to physically remove the SIM in a dual-SIM set-up for 5G to work. This is misleading.

5G carrier on eSIM and secondary line on physical SIM
:in this set up, you do need to physically remove the SIM for 5G to work–going in the settings and turning off that line will not work.

5G carrier on physical SIM and secondary line on eSIM: in this set up, removing the physical SIM is not necessary. You can simply disable the line in the settings, and 5G will work.

Resource to check out about eSIM: eSIM + Dual SIM Q&A

Last edited:
Reactions: rysmtihaz

Ste87

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2016
5G carrier on eSIM and secondary line on physical SIM:in this set up, you do need to physically remove the SIM for 5G to work–going in the settings and turning off that line will not work.

Not my experience tbh. I have an eSIM (Movistar Spain) and a physical SIM (Three UK). As long as I turn off the line for the physical SIM in Settings I will get 5G on the eSIM. I can't try 5G on the physical SIM as I don't think Three has 5G roaming in Spain. I'm running iOS 14.2 Beta 4. Don't know if it's different in 14.1.

smf72

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
No issue. I have at&t esim and VZW sim. I turn off the line in settings and get 5G on the one left on. However it messes with your apple watch so turn it off first.

rysmtihaz

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
No issue. I have at&t esim and VZW sim. I turn off the line in settings and get 5G on the one left on. However it messes with your apple watch so turn it off first.
Thanks! Hopefully they figure this whole thing out in 14.2

vanburen982

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016
*bump - how does it mess with your Apple Watch?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.