Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

el_Frank

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2022
Hello,
Ever since updating to iOS 17 I've come across this issue with my iPhone 12.

For a bit of context, I've had this phone since mid 2021, its battery health is sitting at 81% and all issues began after installing iOS 17.0.
Before in iOS 16 and all it's releases the phone was really snappy, only getting occasionally hot on summer.

Now for the issues I'm facing, whenever I open the camera app and try taking a picture, the phone begins stuttering, the shutter freezes and doesn't respond, so I'm never quite sure if I'm really capturing a photo and end up missing the shot most of the times, other times it captures a blurry 2 second video as if I were trying to record a QuickTake video by long pressing the shutter which clearly is not the case...
Meanwhile all of this goes down, the phone gets hot, the back glass and display start getting hot to the touch and the battery begins depleting quickly.
Another weird behaviour my phone exhibits is when playing any form of media and trying opening the camera app, the media playing in the background will either stutter and sound glitched like some weird techno song or it will decrease in volume until it stops altogether, meanwhile the camera app acts it's usual unresponsive way and the phone gets hot.

A while back when iOS 17.1 launched I attempted a clean install of the OS and for a while (3-4 weeks) everything went smooth until the issues with the camera app appeared again.
Now I'm wondering if anyone has ever come across anything like this and if they happen to know any possible fix.

maccidents

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2024
United States
  1. Restart your iPhone.
  2. Check for software updates in Settings > General > Software Update.
  3. Reset camera settings in Settings > Camera > Reset Settings.
  4. Clear camera cache by reinstalling the app if possible.
  5. Check for hardware issues like physical damage or extreme temperatures.
  6. Consider downgrading iOS if issues persist after updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.