Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
Similar to you, just not having more than 8hours of SoT. I’m more likely around 3hours ?
Well, that was one extreme case lol. I use around 4-4,5 hours of screen on time on average, and about the same when it comes to screen off time (mostly streaming podcasts = a total of almost 9 hours of constant, various use. I guess that’s still quite high) ? So I really don’t see any reason to complain too much about the battery life - even as a heavy user.

Last edited:

austyn23

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2017
mine is at 100%, I charge it every 36 to 48 hours with an iPad charger (10w?) and 3 hours SOT +/-

iterva

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Sweden
Also, when you are using an OLED screen and care about battery life, you should definitely use dark-mode…
Sure. But there are caveats to that.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
My 12 mini’s battery health is at 96% and I easily get over 4 hours of SOT from it. I also use CarPlay, so quite a bit of activity going on with the screen off:

F47A0E54-F337-4571-9E6B-67AA8599F95C.jpeg

The battery health in Settings is not as accurate, so if you have a Mac, try plugging your iPhone in and check the battery’s stats with CoconutBattery:

If the battery is toast, I would talk to Apple and try to get it replaced for free under your warranty.

Good luck!

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
Sure. But there are caveats to that.

That article is about Android phones only, though, but even so the mere science of how OLED screens work proves my point: https://www.businessinsider.com/does-dark-mode-save-battery?r=MX&IR=T

iterva

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Sweden
That article is about Android phones only, though, but even so the mere science of how OLED screens work proves my point: https://www.businessinsider.com/does-dark-mode-save-battery?r=MX&IR=T
Specifically they said
Even though Hu’s team studied only Android apps and phones, their findings might have similar implications for Apple phones, starting with the iPhone X
And since OLED is OLED in this instance I fail to see how Apple magically would make this scenario any different. Then again I´m not too well versed in the OLED technology. Would love to be proven wrong...That Apple indeed is doing something revolutionary with their OLED screens that no other manufacturer has been able to do.

Not looking to get into a argument here. Just wanted to provide a different viewpoint :)

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
Specifically they said

And since OLED is OLED in this instance I fail to see how Apple magically would make this scenario any different. Then again I´m not too well versed in the OLED technology. Would love to be proven wrong...That Apple indeed is doing something revolutionary with their OLED screens that no other manufacturer has been able to do.

Not looking to get into a argument here. Just wanted to provide a different viewpoint :)
Just look into the article I posted, it explains it perfectly: "iFixit explains that OLED screens generate light for each individual pixel, meaning that black pixels won't use any power. It's a bit like turning off lights around your house; the house itself will still use some power, but the lights that you've turned off won't use any."

prazakj

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
So
Well, that was one extreme case lol. I use around 4-4,5 hours of screen on time on average, and about the same when it comes to screen off time (mostly streaming podcasts = a total of almost 9 hours of constant, various use. I guess that’s still quite high) ? So I really don’t see any reason to complain too much about the battery life - even as a heavy user.
So did you charge your battery on that day or you used that extreme day on one charge? ?

iterva

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Sweden
Just look into the article I posted, it explains it perfectly: "iFixit explains that OLED screens generate light for each individual pixel, meaning that black pixels won't use any power. It's a bit like turning off lights around your house; the house itself will still use some power, but the lights that you've turned off won't use any."
That I know. And you obviously stopped reading after the part where the article I linked said "Android".

Here is an excellent TL;DR from AA regarding the article I linked. Yes they mention the big bad Android...
  • A new study has found that dark mode doesn’t give you major efficiency gains in some scenarios.
  • Researchers found that switching to dark mode from low to mid brightness only yielded between 3 to 9% savings.
  • You see more energy gains by going from a light mode at maximum brightness to a dark mode, according to the study
Which was also my point with my original post. I.e why I used the word caveat.

I´m out.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
So

So did you charge your battery on that day or you used that extreme day on one charge? ?
Two charges of around 50% each which equals 100% during 24 hours. That’s how I normally charge my phone (my battery health is still at 100%) - on an Apple 20W wired charger for around 30 minutes (50%) twice a day. So, for me at least, a full (100%) charge lasts me 24 hours of heavy use…

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
That I know. And you obviously stopped reading after the part where the article I linked said "Android".

Here is an excellent TL;DR from AA regarding the article I linked. Yes they mention the big bad Android...

Which was also my point with my original post. I.e why I used the word caveat.

I´m out.
Sorry, but your sources are just too scientifically weak…

prazakj

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
Two charges of around 50% each which equals 100% during 24 hours. That’s how I normally charge my phone (my battery health is still at 100%) - on an Apple 20W wired charger for around 30 minutes (50%) twice a day. So, for me at least, a full (100%) charge lasts me 24 hours of heavy use…
So you don’t charge overnight and waking up with 100%?

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
So you don’t charge overnight and waking up with 100%?
Nope, I have a weird schedule I guess. I charge it to around 80% when I wake up, then in the late afternoon or evening/night I charge it again. Usually these intervals happen when the battery is around 30% (I charge it to around 80%). I honestly don’t know if it makes any difference, but that’s what they advice when it comes to these kinds of batteries, from what I’ve read… ?‍♂️

Reactions: reppans and prazakj

prazakj

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
Nope, I have a weird schedule I guess. I charge it to around 80% when I wake up, then in the late afternoon or evening/night I charge it again. Usually these intervals happen when the battery is around 30% (I charge it to around 80%). I honestly don’t know if it makes any difference, but that’s what they advice when it comes to these kinds of batteries, from what I’ve read… ?‍♂️
True. It’s good to operate in those numbers, I just never made myself to do it. ?

Reactions: Barbareren

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I haven't got the level of detail others have here, but I can report anecdotally that I'm certainly experiencing significantly shorter battery life on my iPhone 12 mini than on previous iPhones I've had. Days of largely "non-usage" still result in a battery that's half-gone at the end, which never used to be the case.

Personally, I LOVE the size of it (because I have a Mac and an iPad that I use all day, so I only need a small screen on my phone), and I'm prepared to accept the compromise on stamina. But if my usage changed, I could easily imagine that I would flatten my phone's battery before the day was done.

Largely unused through the day and battery still tanking 50% does not bode well at all.

reppans

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006
Nope, I have a weird schedule I guess. I charge it to around 80% when I wake up, then in the late afternoon or evening/night I charge it again. Usually these intervals happen when the battery is around 30% (I charge it to around 80%). I honestly don’t know if it makes any difference, but that’s what they advice when it comes to these kinds of batteries, from what I’ve read…

Good battery charging/cycling practice definitely works (and can be fully automated), but it is still only half the equation. Managing phone settings and apps is the other important half. However, most folks won’t bother with either so battery banks, multiple plug-ins/day, battery replacement, and 2-3yr phone upgrades are good options too.

NaughtyNoot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2020
Well, I have dark mode turned on, background app refresh turned off for all apps, optimised battery charging enabled, … so not much more I can do in terms of playing with phone settings anymore I guess.

Will have a look at it with CoconutBattery to see if anything is wrong, and maybe also recalibrate the battery to see if that helps.

Reactions: Barbareren

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
Doesn’t happen here. I use Safari and AdGuard - no issues.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Doesn’t happen here. I use Safari and AdGuard - no issues.
Using focus, started getting battery drain and overheating issues again on here, shouldn’t have to use a ad blocker on this site, the battery drain on here is terrible ?‍♂️

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
Using focus, started getting battery drain and overheating issues again on here, shouldn’t have to use a ad blocker on this site, the battery drain on here is terrible ?‍♂️
Yeah, unfortunately browsing these forums without an ad-blocker is a pain in the arse. But I’ve been very satisfied with AdGuard. Scrolling is smooth, the phone doesn’t get hot, and the battery loss is minimal.

Reactions: LFC2020

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Yeah, unfortunately browsing these forums without an ad-blocker is a pain in the arse. But I’ve been very satisfied with AdGuard. Scrolling is smooth, the phone doesn’t get hot, and the battery loss is minimal.
You using the free version?

Think I'm going to stop using these forums and site soon if they can’t or won’t fix these battery draining and phone overheating issues, main culprit is the ads. ?‍♂️

12 Pro Max down to 50% battery 3 hours usage, thanks to this site ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.