Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 18, 2009
I know they say the 12 Mini is 5.4" and the 7 Plus is 5.5", but they’re also different aspect ratios. I can’t find any side by ide photos comparing screens of the two phones. Are they about the same or is the Mini somehow much smaller? Thanks.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
All three
image.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Rashy and Skika

futurist101

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2016
Los Angeles
Don’t be misled by the similar screen size. The key is the width. The mini is significantly smaller text etc than the plus phones.
If you increase the default text size on the iPhone 12 Mini is that a suitable compromise? I've been dying to move back to a smaller iPhone (from iPhone 7 Plus) but old age has reared its ugly head and I'm using reading glasses more often now.

panthro100

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2018
On Sunday I purchased a iPhone 12 Mini 256GB Black.

I had intended to purchase an iPhone 12 Pro 256GB Graphite.

I went into a shop and tried all 4 of the new phones.

As soon as I picked up the Mini I knew it was perfect.

The iPhone 12 Pro Max is a surf board, although has a stunning display at that size.

The iPhone 12 Pro is far too heavy.

The iPhone 12 is good, but there is something about the Mini.

My previous phone was an iPhone 6S Plus, which I've had for the last 5 years or so. Do not miss the size. I can go out now without carrying a brick in my pocket.

It's like being back with my phone before the 6S Plus, my trusty iPhone 4.

• Haha
Reactions: Rashy and RRC

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
If you increase the default text size on the iPhone 12 Mini is that a suitable compromise? I've been dying to move back to a smaller iPhone (from iPhone 7 Plus) but old age has reared its ugly head and I'm using reading glasses more often now.
I wear glasses as well and have no problems reading the default text size on the iPhone 12 mini.

Reactions: futurist101

ray6088

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2013
I just received my mini today. So far I can tell, it feels like same as SE2 size screen and feels like SE1 size & weight. I like it the iPhone 5/5S/SE1 size, weight and squared edges. I don't see much different between OLED vs LCD. Of course as usual, I disable FaceID while working during office hours. Only thing I miss is the TouchID.

kepler20b

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2014
12 Mini vs 8 Plus (same as 7 Plus)

View attachment 1688783
and here's my mini on top of my 8plus from the left

if anyone is having trouble deciding there are dimensions online and you can simply cut it out on paper.

as someone that went from 8+ to mini I can confidently say:

as long as your hands aren't huge or you have 5 thumbs or you have sight issues, you won't have a problem adjusting if you want the smaller phone. The biggest thing I would advise is definitely sight.

if you have bad eyes reading text is definitely going to be an issue on the phone. Even if you upscale the text, it makes the usability of the phone less because you'll be scrolling more, etc. Typing for me was no problem going from 8plus to mini. I do get some errors and some "non hits" but its not nuisance.
IMG_6612.jpg

Last edited:

yticolev

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2015
I wear glasses as well and have no problems reading the default text size on the iPhone 12 mini.
Not sure I get this. Don't glasses mimic young eyes? I don't use glasses with my Mini (don't use glasses at all routinely despite being 65 - slightly nearsighted) but when I happen to be wearing them and look at my phone, it looks amazingly large and super easy to read.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
Not sure I get this. Don't glasses mimic young eyes? I don't use glasses with my Mini (don't use glasses at all routinely despite being 65 - slightly nearsighted) but when I happen to be wearing them and look at my phone, it looks amazingly large and super easy to read.

my mom is about your age and needs to upgrade her 7+. she thought she'd need regular 12 or even the Max, but after showing her my Mini...and the actual usable screen space, she realized that she can get ALMOST the same screen real estate with the mini as her 7+. the entire mini can fit inside the screen on the Plus. Yes, it's slightly narrower, but in practical terms, it's barely noticeable.

(also i got DESTROYED a few weeks ago when i tried to say that in real world terms, the screens of the MINI and PLUS are "ALMOST" the same size.)

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
(also i got DESTROYED a few weeks ago when i tried to say that in real world terms, the screens of the MINI and PLUS are "ALMOST" the same size.)
i remember that:)

We spoke that the 7plus screen area is 20% larger than the mini.
I have to add that the 12 max is 24% and the normal 12 12% lager.
so we can say that all iphones are almost the same;)

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
i remember that:)

We spoke that the 7plus screen area is 20% larger than the mini.
I have to add that the 12 max is 24% and the normal 12 12% lager.
so we can say that all iphones are almost the same;)

and when we're talking millimeters, those percents are negligible.

not discounting the size differences, but i was just trying to say that just because you have a Plus phone now doesn't mean you have to assume you need a regular 12 or Max to get a similar experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.