Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Switched to 12 Mini from 11 Pro on Sunday. I had my concerns about battery life, but it’s completely manageable. I love the form factor, weight, size, it’s just the perfect phone.

What I wasn’t prepared for was the eye strain and headaches. I had the X, XS, XS Max and 11 Pro before, and never had any issues with PWM etc causing any discomfort.

Is it possible that the sheer (small) size of the text (I’m using default) is causing eye strain? Anyone else has this issue? I tried zoomed mode but it’s comically large and too little is displayed.

My option is to switch to iPhone 12 or back to iPhone 11 Pro - but I really am not keen on either, as I love the Mini. I am curious if this is something specific to the size of the mini (but I never had any issues with the 4, 5, etc - then again the information density wasn't the same), or specific to the 12 range? Like I said, I definitely don't have OLED PWM issues (or I didn't with the X, Xs, and 11 Pro).

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I haven’t experienced issues in a while but maybe try bringing up the text zoom a bit. If I remember correctly the mini shows all the 12 shows but a bit shrunken, so maybe pumping up text size helps a bit. Best success!

Reactions: BigDO

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
I haven’t experienced issues in a while but maybe try bringing up the text zoom a bit. If I remember correctly the mini shows all the 12 shows but a bit shrunken, so maybe pumping up text size helps a bit. Best success!
Thanks, will try that, but don't typically like increasing the text size as it reduces the displayed content.

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016
Switched to 12 Mini from 11 Pro on Sunday. I had my concerns about battery life, but it’s completely manageable. I love the form factor, weight, size, it’s just the perfect phone.

What I wasn’t prepared for was the eye strain and headaches. I had the X, XS, XS Max and 11 Pro before, and never had any issues with PWM etc causing any discomfort.

Is it possible that the sheer (small) size of the text (I’m using default) is causing eye strain? Anyone else has this issue? I tried zoomed mode but it’s comically large and too little is displayed.

My option is to switch to iPhone 12 or back to iPhone 11 Pro - but I really am not keen on either, as I love the Mini. I am curious if this is something specific to the size of the mini (but I never had any issues with the 4, 5, etc - then again the information density wasn't the same), or specific to the 12 range? Like I said, I definitely don't have OLED PWM issues (or I didn't with the X, Xs, and 11 Pro).
I had the 12 Pro Max and the Mini together before I sold the Max. some people mistakenly think the text is larger on a larger display, this is not true. The text is the exact same size, you can just see more of it on the larger display as seen below. Try increasing the size of the text though maybe.

08326EFB-8D31-422E-BC47-247048CE6461.jpeg

Reactions: Cape Dave

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
True about the text size, although when comparing to my 11 Pro, due to the scaling, text is slightly larger than the Mini.

I am starting to think it may also be a coincidence with other factors contributing to eye strain. I’ll keep using it for another week or so and see how it goes. Really happy with it so don’t want to change it unless I absolutely have to. It’s such a revelation having a small sized phone with no performance and feature compromises.

Reactions: Cape Dave

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016
True about the text size, although when comparing to my 11 Pro, due to the scaling, text is slightly larger than the Mini.

I am starting to think it may also be a coincidence with other factors contributing to eye strain. I’ll keep using it for another week or so and see how it goes. Really happy with it so don’t want to change it unless I absolutely have to. It’s such a revelation having a small sized phone with no performance and feature compromises.
Headaches are probably due to PWM on the Mini more so then the text, especially if this is the first 12 you’ve used.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Headaches are probably due to PWM on the Mini more so then the text, especially if this is the first 12 you’ve used.

First 12 but like I said I’ve used every other OLED screen gen with no issues whatsoever.

xnview

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2013
since you didn’t have eye strain with previous iPhone oled displays, it is most likely not PWM.
When the screen is smaller, everything is shrunken (maybe not the text so much), but all media etc. To compensate for the smaller picture on your retina, you will automatically hold it closer to your face, to make the picture in the eye bigger, and easier too see. The closer the object you are looking at, the more tension your intra ocular muscles need to work, which (when not used to) can give eye strain and potentially headache.

Your eyes have gotten used to holding the phone, at a greater distance since you the last many years have used larger phones. Your eyes will adapt to it with time, unless you are around 40 years of age or more:)

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009

No, the mini display is a shrunken version of the 11pro, it is not a shrunken version of the 12, as explained here

”The answer is that 2436 x 1125, the software interface size of the 12 Mini display, is exactly the size in pixels of the iPhone 11 Pro, XS, and X displays. From an app’s perspective, the standard scaling mode of the iPhone 12 Mini is not a new size: it’s the same exact pixel dimensions as the 11 Pro, XS, and X.”

So, yes, by default the 12 mini shows the exact same thing as the 11 pro, slightly shrunken. So, you could get eye strain from that.

Reactions: BigDO

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
He says he’s had all the previous iPhones with OLED screens. And the tech hasn’t varied re: screen dimming so no “PWM” is not a differentiating issue.

I could not really find material difference in how over the years I experienced screen dimming of Samsung Note4, IPhone X and now IPhone 12 mini. So personalally I think there’s some mental reactions to OLED screens, not necessarily physical.

tripoli8647

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2011

@BigDO Hey - How did you fair out with the 12 mini?

I really want one but recall the eye strain I felt when i used one for a day. I used the XS and XS max without issue. The 12 is also fine for me but the mini size is my preference.

Did your eyes adjust in time? Thanks

Last edited:

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
@BigDO Hey - How did you fair out with the 12 mini?

I really want one but recall the eye strain I felt when i used one for a day. I used the XS and XS max without issue. The 12 is also fine for me but the mini size is my preference.

Did your eyes adjust in time? Thanks

Yes, stopped noticing this about 3-4 days into using the Mini.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Yes, stopped noticing this about 3-4 days into using the Mini.
BigDo, most of the flickering on 12 mini occurs below 30-35% brightness, and i get headaches from it, but at 50% brightness and above i get no issues at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.