Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
I’ve had my mini since launch… had no problems, but just over the last few days I have begun to notice the phone getting warm on the back- just below the Apple logo- when using it for more than a few minutes at a time.
This is just light use- browsing Tapatalk, Reddit, Facebook, or websites.

There was one time last week where it got so hot- the entire phone- that it was uncomfortable to touch, I had to turn it off.

How is everyone else’s experience- is it normal for the mini to get at least noticeably warm with basic use?

It seemed odd to me as I hadn’t noticed this before, so I wanted to ask.

Reactions: Wolfson

NewBench

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2010
I have a Caudabe Sheath case fitted and I can still feel the handset gets a little warm when using Safari mostly - scrolling a lot on forums etc. Nothing uncomfortable though and doesnt happen always.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Without stating how warm the ambient temperature was when the phone started getting hot, we can only scratch our heads and wonder.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Have you tried force quitting the apps and then restarting phone before re-opening the apps?

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Since ios 14.6 this appears to be happening to the whole 12 line, not just the 12 Mini. I get it the most when browing macrumours on Safari. Phone gets hot after about 5 mins, as soon as i quit Macrumours (kill the tab), the phone starts to cool down.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
I’ve had my mini since launch… had no problems, but just over the last few days I have begun to notice the phone getting warm on the back- just below the Apple logo- when using it for more than a few minutes at a time.
This is just light use- browsing Tapatalk, Reddit, Facebook, or websites.

There was one time last week where it got so hot- the entire phone- that it was uncomfortable to touch, I had to turn it off.

How is everyone else’s experience- is it normal for the mini to get at least noticeably warm with basic use?

It seemed odd to me as I hadn’t noticed this before, so I wanted to ask.

I don’t know about the iPhone 12 mini specifically, but I would expect it to get warm. Every iOS device I’ve used since apples 64-bit chips which correspond with them actually been pretty darn huge get warm/hot in my experience. Back when they were using arm designs those things were so dinky that they didn’t, but when you slap some thing in that’s basically the equivalent of a full blown x86 CPU and not some dinky ARM design, it can get warm.

All of mine always heat up fast if they’re doing some webpage with a lot of scripting, the modern web has an insane amount of scripting it’s running.

My iPhone is heating up a lot running Mac rumors right at the moment. And that’s with safari blocking 59 trackers just on this one page. Everything that’s left is still forcing the CPU to go mad.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I don’t know about the iPhone 12 mini specifically, but I would expect it to get warm. Every iOS device I’ve used since apples 64-bit chips which correspond with them actually been pretty darn huge get warm/hot in my experience. Back when they were using arm designs those things were so dinky that they didn’t, but when you slap some thing in that’s basically the equivalent of a full blown x86 CPU and not some dinky ARM design, it can get warm.

All of mine always heat up fast if they’re doing some webpage with a lot of scripting, the modern web has an insane amount of scripting it’s running.

My iPhone is heating up a lot running Mac rumors right at the moment. And that’s with safari blocking 59 trackers just on this one page. Everything that’s left is still forcing the CPU to go mad.
I’m not having a particular hard time with this site most of the time. But all of my 12’s that I tried and I tried all from mini to max did have overheats.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
Without stating how warm the ambient temperature was when the phone started getting hot, we can only scratch our heads and wonder.

Yeah, sorry. About 70 degrees in the house. The back of the phone gets warm to the touch when using safari or browsing Reddit or Tapatalk as mentioned.

Not uncomfortably hot, but very noticeably warm.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
Thanks, all, for the responses!

Good to know this is likely not just a hardware issue with my phone.

Odd that it seemed to start doing this recently, but as someone said, maybe a recent iOS update made things worse?

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
Yeah, sorry. About 70 degrees in the house. The back of the phone gets warm to the touch when using safari or browsing Reddit or Tapatalk as mentioned.

Not uncomfortably hot, but very noticeably warm.
It is quite common to find post on reddit from people about overheating. They managed to find out that the reddit iphone app causes that too due to bad optimization.
My 12 mini overheats easily so nothing wrong with yours.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
It is quite common to find post on reddit from people about overheating. They managed to find out that the reddit iphone app causes that too due to bad optimization.
My 12 mini overheats easily so nothing wrong with yours.

Ok, good to know. Any concern that overheating could be shortening the lifespan of yours and all of our minis?

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
Ok, good to know. Any concern that overheating could be shortening the lifespan of yours and all of our minis?
well i know for sure that is not good for our batteries...but what can we do? I am not willing to give up 5G speeds by turning it off just to prevent overheating. Little body with a big CPU and heat needs to dissipate somewhere.
Though i have to say since i am using the case i feel the heat less. Without the case you can observe the full spectrum of overheating, which is hidden in the case.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
There really is a thermal issue with the mini. Mine gets super hot, uncomfortably hot where the shoe shuts down and MagSafe stops working. Also the screen also dims severely. WHile I like the phone its not perfect. I hope if there's an se 3 that's the mini's size, or the 13 mini, they fix these issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.