Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seaw

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
Hi, just tested my new 12 Mini with the build in speakers. There is clearly a greater loudness coming from the earpiece speaker than the bottom speaker. It’s somewhat uncomfortable to listen to because dialogs seam to come from the left. When I hold my right hand behind the bottom speaker it is perfectly center balanced. Any other Mini owners experiencing this? What about owners of the 12 or 12 Pros?

Thanks

Reactions: Saludos

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
Hi, just tested my new 12 Mini with the build in speakers. There is clearly a greater loudness coming from the earpiece speaker than the bottom speaker. It’s somewhat uncomfortable to listen to because dialogs seam to come from the left. When I hold my right hand behind the bottom speaker it is perfectly center balanced. Any other Mini owners experiencing this? What about owners of the 12 or 12 Pros?

Thanks

Is it not just that the earpiece speaker is facing you directly rather than firing sound sideways?

Reactions: That70sGAdawg

seaw

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
Is it not just that the earpiece speaker is facing you directly rather than firing sound sideways?
Yes but I would have assumed that Apple balances left and right channel better because the speakers do point in different directions. Means, just make the bottom speaker louder so both speakers sound the same.

That70sGAdawg

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
Athens, GA USA
I compared the reg 12 speakers to the 12 Mini speakers directly and they are within 10-15% apart In tone & volume . Not enough to give up the awesome size of the mini!

JamestheCharming

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2019

Thanks
I got the same issue. I noticed the volume coming out of the earpiece of 12 mini is much louder than the bottom speaker. My previous iPhone Xs max is well balanced.

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2020
Same experience with my Mini. I thought it’s technically supposed to be that way, because the bottom speaker is firing side ways. Hence holding our palm behind the bottom speaker makes the firing front way and balancing the stereo experience. I dunno about other iPhones with this speakers setup, since my previous was an iPhone 6 with no earpiece speaker.

Anyways the Mini speakers is subpar even compared to my iPhone 6 or iPad 3 with better power and bass.
I’m guessing the Mini packs more hardware under smaller form factor, not allowing for a better speaker, volume wise.

Reactions: DevinNj

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
I don't have a Mini or this year's model yet, but I will say I think my older phones (6s & below) sounded better at higher volumes than my last few phones and I've had every regular, Plus, Max etc iPhone since. My newer phones with the "dual stereo" may be louder, but the quality just isn't there. The older phones just sounded better at higher volumes. I keep my 11 Pro Max set around 80% or it gets distorted and even sounds very tinny. I don't go into the equalizer settings, I shouldn't have to.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
No kidding. What do you expect from a cellphone? It’s tiny as it is and the speakers occupy just a tiny portion of its chassis. Why not try a decent ear/headphone or speakers set instead?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.