Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
No real surprises except for the extra 1/2 hour more battery life (1.5 vs rumoured 1 hr).
Faster processor and of course improved camera.

We got the smaller notch and here in Canada, the price dropped considerably by $30 and this with more storage.
I may be able to sell and snag a new 13 mini for $300 more...but I'm not sure if it's worth that much.

What are your thoughts...if you were or thinking to upgrade, how much would you spend extra to go from 12 to 13 mini?

satchmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
If you're 12 mini is serving you well and doing what you need it to then there is zero need to upgrade for minimal differences with the 13 mini.

I've only had the 12 mini for 3 weeks, and for the most part it has served me well.

The only minor quibble is the battery life. It's not terrible, but not fantastic either. So the extra 1.5 hour increase would certainly make the mini almost perfect. I agree otherwise, that the differences are minimal.

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
Depends on what your needs and wants are…

The 13 mini has improved camera; larger sensor, and sensor stability on the wide lens.
You also get a better battery life, however you now have less colours to choose from.

The 12 you have is going to be an excellent phone for literally years to come if you did decide to keep it.

If money isn’t an issue, get what your heart desires tech wise. If the money could be better spent on an iPad, or something non tech related then you need to weigh up what you think is best.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Depends on what your needs and wants are…

The 13 mini has improved camera; larger sensor, and sensor stability on the wide lens.
You also get a better battery life, however you now have less colours to choose from.

The 12 you have is going to be an excellent phone for literally years to come if you did decide to keep it.

If money isn’t an issue, get what your heart desires tech wise. If the money could be better spent on an iPad, or something non tech related then you need to weigh up what you think is best.

That’s a good perspective. $300 is not insignificant, and certainly go towards something else.

I’m coming from an iPhone 6 and in some ways, with a new replacement battery it seemed to last longer. Of course it doesn’t have nearly the number of pixels to deal with either...or OLED.

I’ll probably give it another week with the 12 mini to truly decide if the battery is actually an issue or if I’m just looking for flaws.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.