Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cemati

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2022
Revive.
Cost: 32mp

My 13 mini gets noticeably warmer than all other iPhones ive had without a case in my pocket, or even just holding it when outside away from Wi-Fi.

Any new info on the 13 mini’s heat issues? (Just read how the CPU is stacked on the wireless chip (card?))

Is there any way to keep the phone from overheating like that?

Thank you.

*Critical Hit: anyone know of a case type/material that dissipates heat the best, instead of insulate the phone?

I have my 13 mini this October and I also have similar problems.

It gets warm quite easy even if I do only surfing on safari. Sometimes when using google maps it gets really warm and sometime when making facetime calls it gets warmer in 5 minutes.

its not always getting warm on a specific task but it does in and out of season.

I dont play any game or keep many screens backgroung. I always be careful while using it but still it gets warm and it annoys me.

I think one reason might be the case I use so the heat is not spreading properly.

Especially the place around apple logo is getting quite hot.

Still I didnt have any issue that my phone gets closed because of high temperature.

Are all the 13 minis are same or we got a problematic production party ?

And as asked above is the any case you recommend which is better for this kind of heating issues.

Reactions: JM

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
I have my 13 mini this October and I also have similar problems.

It gets warm quite easy even if I do only surfing on safari. Sometimes when using google maps it gets really warm and sometime when making facetime calls it gets warmer in 5 minutes.

its not always getting warm on a specific task but it does in and out of season.

I dont play any game or keep many screens backgroung. I always be careful while using it but still it gets warm and it annoys me.

I think one reason might be the case I use so the heat is not spreading properly.

Especially the place around apple logo is getting quite hot.

Still I didnt have any issue that my phone gets closed because of high temperature.

Are all the 13 minis are same or we got a problematic production party ?

And as asked above is the any case you recommend which is better for this kind of heating issues.
I found the Razor case that is supposed to dissipate heat, but didn’t buy it because nothing will be as good as no case at all.

And I sold the 13 mini about a month ago and got a 14pro. The heat dissipation on this is fantastic. (Never feel it warm except speed charging and outside in direct sunlight. And we’re talking SLIGHTLY warm, not hot at all like the 13mini).

So I guess the solution to the heat dissipation problem is to buy a 14pro 🤣🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Reactions: cemati

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
Same here- I don't use a case, but I do notice it getting slightly warm with any basic use (Safari, Facebook, Reddit). Sometimes it gets quite warm to the touch when I am browsing certain websites, and gets downright hot when I am using the Tapatalk app to browse the MacRumors forum.

It hasn't gotten hot enough yet to dim the screen- but would I need to be worried about it getting warm so frequently, as far as longevity goes? Would it start to have problems and fail sooner due to this?

Come to think of it, I had a 13 Pro for the last year, and it was similar, though maybe just a touch better in this particular regard.

I am still within my return window, so I am trying to decide if I should keep it. I love the phone- the size and everything about it except for this concern about how easily it gets warm.

Alternatively, I tried an SE 2022 for a couple of weeks- and it stayed cool as a cucumber with all tasks except for browsing this forum on Tapatalk- but instead of getting downright hot, it just got warm doing that.

It is odd that the SE with the same chip would stay noticeably cooler than the 13 Mini when performing the same tasks- even connected in my car via Apple CarPlay and doing navigation, it was cool to the touch when I picked up the phone after a 20 minute trip.

Reactions: cemati

clueless88

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2020
@jm31828 -- does this occur when you are connected to WiFi or just cellular?

If you turn off WiFi when you are not on WiFi, does the iPhone still get hot? I wonder if the phone is actively scanning for WiFi networks and is generating heat? I had an iPhone 13 Pro wirelessly charging during a 1 hour car ride before it was set up and it became extremely warm. After the phone was activated and set up, no problems during subsequent car rides--of course the phone was connected to car's wifi so it didn't scan for other networks during the drive.

Have not noticed unusual heat generation with my 13 mini as well.

Reactions: jm31828

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
@jm31828 -- does this occur when you are connected to WiFi or just cellular?

If you turn off WiFi when you are not on WiFi, does the iPhone still get hot? I wonder if the phone is actively scanning for WiFi networks and is generating heat? I had an iPhone 13 Pro wirelessly charging during a 1 hour car ride before it was set up and it became extremely warm. After the phone was activated and set up, no problems during subsequent car rides--of course the phone was connected to car's wifi so it didn't scan for other networks during the drive.

Have not noticed unusual heat generation with my 13 mini as well.
I don't use my phone much when I am out of the house, other than a quick lookup, so my experience is really just at home on WiFi.

And I must say, most of the time my 13 Mini is fine- I just notice it getting slightly warm with some moderate use- nothing concerning. The only times it gets really warm or downright hot are with extended use on the Tapatalk app browsing MacRumors- and again as noted, I had that same experience on my 13 Pro as well, even to the point that the screen would dim on a few occasions.

Bento.Box

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2022
There has been talk of 12 minis getting hot… have people found this to be a serious issue in need of warranty replacement, or is it more just an annoyance?

Mine gets rather warm any time I use it, occasionally getting quite hot even indoors in a rather cold house just browsing Reddit or Facebook.

On the flip side, do people really not experience any of this heat on the 13 mini?

The 12 can get very hot during high load. Eventually it will stop charging and sometimes even shut down. Keep it in a ventilated environment and take it out of its case then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.